View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ] 
 What are your beliefs 
Post What are your beliefs
I've always had an interest in learning more about people's belief systems.... so here it is;

What faith/religion do you follow (if any)?

Are you a private practitioner or are you involved with others of your faith?

Have you always followed this faith & what brought you to choose the particular faith you have now?

Do you hold any beliefs that go against the faith that you follow/ If so what are they?

Now.... take this quiz: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

Any surprises?

Would you ever consider learning more about the faiths with which you hold similar beliefs to determine your best path?

I know its a lot, but go ahead... let's hear it. I'm sure that this will keep some people occupied... well hopefully! :)

Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:39 pm

Universalism. Not sure what that means, but hell, who am I to argue with the Internet?

Seriously, though, I think that there is no God. If there is God, and if he is of the affiliation I suspect him to be of, then I may very well hate whatever passes for his guts (God being a spiritual entitiy probably does not have guts, but he may in fact have a type of ectoplasmic goo which fulfils the functions...)

My major philosophy can be found under my post Perspectivity. Which is basically that nothing has any intrinsic value, and that we create value for that which is around us, therefore creating a unique world-view which is neither right nor wrong.

However, I also believe that within a society, if we wish to live within a society, we must make certain efforts to further that coalition, and therefore our treating others with respect and decency is not part of some higher divine order, but created by humans for humans, so that we may be able to live peacefully. Of course, people are naturally selfish, so it doesn't always work, but for the most part an idea of morality does fulfil its function, which is to keep order within society.

However, let it be known that I am a strong believer in evolutionary morality, in which the values of people will change over history, and should therefore be allowed to change. Meaning that no particular moral outlook should be clung to too fiercly.

As for a lifestyle, a favor a kind of technoagrarian lifestyle, in which the communication technology and some forms of machinerary are maintained so that people can live off the land, and not crouched together in cramped cities (which is ironic because I love cities), this way people can still feel connected, and yet still be able to be free of overbearing, unevovling tradition.

It is rather difficult to explain all of this at once, and I am not even sure I am fully aware of my own ideas yet, but eventually, given time to grow, I think much will be accomplished.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: What are your beliefs
Raejhanna Fireheart wrote:
Any surprises?

Yes and no. Actually, no and yes.

Quote:
1. Nontheist (100%)
:
21. Islam (37%)
22. Orthodox Judaism (37%)
:
24. Roman Catholic (31%)

So I'm a little bit freaked out that I'm a closer match to Islam and Orthodox Judaism than I am to Roman Catholicism, being as I'm an <i>excatholic</i> and all.
I'm also bemused that Islam and Orthodox Judaism (which you'd <i>think</i> would be diametrically opposed, given the whole middle-east ongoing holy-war situation) are *tied*.

--Rob "Jihaaaad! Or not; I don't care" Kemmetmueller

Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:24 pm
rskm1 wrote:
I'm an <i>excatholic</i>

I'd like to think of myself as a recovering Catholic as well... did my share of that in a dark and unruly past. :P

Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:53 pm

I would say that my own "religious" beliefs are hard to define in any one category of religion. I don't believe in any human-diety based-sorts of view, as it were. To me, it's too arogant of humans, considering all the damage done to this planet and to each other in a diety's name, to think of a human-like god when biology has proved again and again that this planet was no more made for us than grasshoppers, lions, or jellyfish.

I grew up catholic and always had questions. No one had them or support for my family through some rough times that we went through; and throw in reading the bible cover to cover in seventh grade to having me become ex-catholic. I ended up spending the next couple of years bouncing around, exploring different religious beliefs, as well as other forms of christianity. They just made me all depressed, because I felt I was missing out on something I just didn't feel that other people seemed to. The closest I ever got to was in Wicca/paganism in general, but, no offence to anyone, it all boiled down to the human diety thing again.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:19 pm

Unitarian Universalism?
I believe I'll take another hit

Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
Frost wrote:

I'd like to think of myself as a recovering Catholic as well... did my share of that in a dark and unruly past. :P

I've always considered a recovering catholic to be someone who renounces catholocism as opposed to bringing it back into their life.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:47 pm
I've always considered a recovering catholic to be someone who renounces catholocism as opposed to bringing it back into their life.

EXACTLY! I don't follow any religions anymore, not since childhood. I believe they are comprised mostly of unnecessary rituals and doctrines that don't really support anything but themselves.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:00 pm

I am a nihilist, basically. Even underwent the ultimate nihilistic process in becoming a legally ordained Minister of the Universal Life Church. Anyone want to get married? Call me. I promise not a drop of religion within a one mile radius of the event.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:05 pm
Frost wrote:
EXACTLY! I don't follow any religions anymore, not since childhood. I believe they are comprised mostly of unnecessary rituals and doctrines that don't really support anything but themselves.

... yet you go to church??? Ok, now I'm confused...

Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:06 pm

i am a nihilist as well... although i do many un-nihilistic things...oh well

Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:34 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

You must unrepent evilgod. Go ahead, it beckons you!

http://www.ulc.net/

Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:04 pm

bahh to me having any associations with religion, spirituality, or righteousness*

*i reserve a very selective definition of this term however

Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:42 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

Last edited by +jamison+ on Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:57 pm

bahh to me having any associations with religion, spirituality, or righteousness*

*i reserve a very selective definition of this term however

But it's an inherently meaningless religion and mockery of "ordaination" in some senses. And you can make people call you Reverend ~ and be serious! You know, while eating bats and stuff. And more importantly, it's 100% legal.

If that isn't an annihilation of religious dogma, I don't know what is.

(And actually, I agree with their premise that there be no "middle man" between you and whatever you believe is god, or whatever. Everyone is their own "priest"!)

Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:55 pm

Quote:
I'm also bemused that Islam and Orthodox Judaism (which you'd <i>think</i> would be diametrically opposed, given the whole middle-east ongoing holy-war situation) are *tied*.

Yes, but Judaism, Islam, and Christianity are all basically of the same design, or branch of religious thought. I believe they probably have more similarities than differences, ultimately. Which is part of why they are so at odds. Sort of like having a rivalry with the next town over (as if the people are *not* effectively exactly the same).

Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:06 pm

from what i understand of the similarities and differences between islam and judaism, is that when the Prophet bagan his teachings, he believed that his and the Jew's God were one in the same, and that they were one people descendant from Abraham, and he implored the Jewish leaders of the time to join him, but the Jews believed that Mohamed's people weren't sons of Jacob, but only Jacob's sons could only inherit the kingdom. Since Mohammed believe in the same God, he would face Jerusalem when he prayed. but when the Jews rejected Mohammed, he turned and prayed to Mecca instead.

[this goes a long way back for me, and i think i remembered it right, but i could be mistaken on the details.]

Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:27 pm
Profile WWW

My answers are pretty much what +jamison+ said. I'm a follower of the Christian faith. I do not follow any specific religions or denominations. I take no creeds, and I honor no doctrines. I simply refer to the Bible for everything. I think everybody practices most of their faith on their own... (if they didn't I'd question whether it was really faith in the first place!) However, I also think it's healthy to get together with other believers occassionally, to support and encourage each other. The church I attend is of the same beliefs... adhere to nothing except the Bible.

I decided to dedicate my life to the Christian faith in 1995 after exploring many other spiritual avenues. Christianity simply made the most sense to me, personally. I have never regretted it. My faith has deepened over the years, and a few of my standards have been raised here and there.

I don't believe anybody is perfect and flawless in their faith. We all make mistakes... I've been learning a few things the hard way, lately. But for the most part, I believe what other non-denominational Christians believe and I try to live it the best I can.

The big thing that differentiates me from religious fellow is that I don't believe you can "earn" your way into heaven, and there's nothing you can do to become a "good" person. I'm of the mindset that human beings, by nature, are a damn mess... accepting salvation from a redeemer is the only way to stand judgement for your sins and still get off scott free. IMHO, of course. ;)

Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:19 pm

Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:05 am

evilgod wrote:

You must unrepent evilgod. Go ahead, it beckons you!

http://www.ulc.net/

It beckoned me. I became ordained solely to officiate over a friends wedding. After that I did two others. I've forgiven countless number of sins with a wink and a nod. I now rest comfortably in my utter hypocrisy.

Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:31 pm
It may sound strange, but I don't believe that there is really a right or wrong religion/faith... zealots may debate that their's is the right one and only one. Faith is faith whether its in yourself, a higher power, evolution, science, or magic... people believe in what's right for them, so there is no wrong in that.

I personally believe that as long as you live as a good person that essentially you are good... it shouldn't matter if your a part of the GLB community, or if you've had sex before marriage, indulge in gluttonous pleasures... so long as you harm none.

I also believe in Cause & Effect & karma.
I don't believe in a higher power as it be, because I don't like the idea of putting my life and well being in someone elses hands wheter it be a person or omnicient deity - call it an over the top trust issue.... I like to be the one in control of my life... granted, there are some things that can not be prevented or avoided, but that's life.

Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:56 pm

I don't believe in God or any sort of "higher power" (intelligent, non-intelligent, misc).

My belief system can roughly be summarized by: Psychoanalysis, Post-Marxism, Post-Structuralism, Semitoics, Deconstructionism, Feminism/Queer Studies, Existentionalism, Greek Philosophy, add a liter of Vodka and stir.

In other words I'm a schizoid/drunk that reads to much.

Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:19 pm
Profile WWW

I believe in some sort of higher powers at work.....nothing organized religion..but something..
Im really into the Karma idea....but sometimes it takes way to long for it to catch up to certains peoples ...yeah, yeah, yeah, ..so what comes around goes around..

Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:47 pm

what odd test it said i was 7 different things, in the upper 90%... how odd, i'll stick to being what ive alway been... im still not sure what the f__k that is though... oh well that mean i have no rules to break... what fun

Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:11 pm
what odd test it said i was 7 different things, in the upper 90%... how odd, i'll stick to being what ive alway been... im still not sure what the f__k that is though... oh well that mean i have no rules to break... what fun

did you read any of the descriptions of the religions that it said your beliefs were closest to? Any of it interest you?

Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:15 pm

oh i did they all seem wacky to me most of the questions sucked too, i mean it said neo-pagen was at 100%... but i looked at it and it wasnt what i like... but then im odd... oh well, but it was a good waste of time to say the least

Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:27 pm

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. Mahayana Buddhism (97%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (93%)
4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (85%)
5. Theravada Buddhism (84%)

But I don't define my spiritual beliefs. If anything, I say I'm an Animist. I'm too complex to pinhole myself into one definition.

Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Maybe next time i take the test i'll study

Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:44 pm
LMAO... don't think that'd work too well, but ya can give it a try! :)

Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:53 pm

Frost wrote:

My answers are pretty much what +jamison+ said. I'm a follower of the Christian faith. I do not follow any specific religions or denominations. I take no creeds, and I honor no doctrines. I simply refer to the Bible for everything. I think everybody practices most of their faith on their own... (if they didn't I'd question whether it was really faith in the first place!) However, I also think it's healthy to get together with other believers occassionally, to support and encourage each other. The church I attend is of the same beliefs... adhere to nothing except the Bible.

I just wanted to say that I'm impressed with your statement about your beliefs. I wish more Christians could be the same way. Too many are judgemental zealots and miss the whole point of Jesus' teachings. Good for you, and keep an open mind throughout your spiritual journey!

I am also an ex-catholic, but unlike you I do not consider myself a Christian. Like you, I studied many faiths after my departure from Catholicism - something I consider to be very admirable. I adopted a take-what-you-want-and-leave-the-rest approach to my faith. I have incorporated what appealed to me spiritually into my beliefs and essentially built my own religion. This would not be appealing to someone that requires structure for their spirituality, or for someone who would rather be told what to believe than to explore issues themselves.

I mention this only because it's interesting that you and I seem to have started off with similar approaches but have arrived at somewhat different conclusions. I think that's awesome.

~Ether~

PS: I think I figured out what the catholic church creeps me out... see here: http://www.dribbleglass.com/subpages/strange/glass.htm

~€ᵀᴴᴲᴿ~

commercial graphic artist, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist

BACK ALLEY: https://www.facebook.com/backalleysocial
CRUSH COLLECTIVE: http://www.facebook.com/crushmydesign

Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:25 pm
Profile WWW

Lol... awesome, we got the EXACT same scores... down to the percents :) *Grin*

Busetta wrote:
Well according to the test provided...

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)

But I don't define my spiritual beliefs. If anything, I say I'm an Animist. I'm too complex to pinhole myself into one definition.

Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:21 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)

Well, everyone should get a high score for Unitarian Universalism. According to them, everybody is right and they allow you to believe in whatever you want. It's pretty much a deity potluck.

~Ether~

~€ᵀᴴᴲᴿ~

commercial graphic artist, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist

BACK ALLEY: https://www.facebook.com/backalleysocial
CRUSH COLLECTIVE: http://www.facebook.com/crushmydesign

Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:57 am
Profile WWW

Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:40 pm

So, tonight I was talking to a young Witness, while I was selling her cigarettes. I mentioned to her that I was raised a Congregationalist, a denomination of which she was wholly ignorant.
She: What are they?
I: They are your basic protestant faith, with a focus on collective governing of the church, with little dogma, and no hierarchy.
She: "Protestant?" I've heard that word before.
I: Basically, all denominations outside of Catholicism and Orthodox are protestant.
She: I don't like Catholics. Aren't they the ones who show Jesus as all thin, like a crackhead?
I: I guess. Maybe it's to highlight the pathetic nature of the situation.
She: Well, I know I would want my Jesus to be better looking than that. Jesus is perfect, so he has to be totally hot. I know I'd be only be attracted to a nice looking Jesus.
I: Uh......maybe he hadn't been eating much before it happened.

I don't know what I believe a good portion of the time, but somewhere out there is a girl who yearns for a fine-ass looking Jesus.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:51 am
Profile WWW

She: I don't like Catholics. Aren't they the ones who show Jesus as all thin, like a crackhead?

According to <b>GodCoversHisEyes</b>, Jesus had a "swimmers body", not a crackhead one.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:32 pm

Which is kind of ironic, if you think about it, with the whole... walking on water thing *grin*

Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:05 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:38 pm

Jesus was a surfer...

...with a killer swimsuit body.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:32 pm

Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:33 pm

I believe I'll have another drink.

I believe you.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:51 am
Profile YIM

I don't believe in God or Jesus. It doesn't make sense to me that a guy could pray to God to get approved for a new car loan, while in other parts of the world there are people praying to be able to feed their starving children while living under a bridge. The guy gets his new car and the kids starve to death. Both families want to blame/ thank God.

Then again, if there is no God whatsoever, this all makes sense.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:18 pm

My favorite is when they interview someone on the winning team after the game, and the first thing they do when there's a microphone in their face is to thank their lord and savior Jesus Christ who they'd prayed to for the win.

How come, when they interview the LOSERS, nobody sends a big "F.U." to their lord and savior Jesus Christ for snubbing them, even though they'd prayed even MORE than the winning team?

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:56 pm

See what I mean? It just doesn't make sense.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:23 am

if god cared about sports, he'd strike teams down with plagues of locusts, or raining frogs...

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:44 am
Profile YIM

Raining bugs has been done before. If there is a God I don't think he'd be so boring as to repeat himself like that. Raining urine would be interesting. I wonder how long it would take them to realize what it was. There's always that one guy who tries to be cool and act like the rain doesn't bother him. He pretends to wash his face in it........

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:55 pm

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:14 pm

Teach them well and let them lead the way?

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:07 pm

But for the love of God, do not "show them all the beauty they possess inside," as I think that that is NAMBLA's newest motto (ewwww).

Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:47 pm
Profile WWW

From Spirituality to Sports to Whitney Houston to NAMBLA.

And now this thread is complete.

Last edited by devil on Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:14 pm

From Spirituality to [Sports to Whitney Houston to NAMBLA.

And now this thread is complete.

Amen.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:05 am
Profile WWW

In certain instances I am very much existentialist myself. However the problems that arise are quite noticeable. When one realises that no life is more than a sisyp[hean struggle, with no reaL goal other than one that you make yourself for your individual life, it can seem as if existentialism is a very selfish, introvertive and pessimistic philosophy. It certainly isn't that and completely contradicts preconceptions of it.It negates the thought of suicide by suggesting that gives almost a poignance to life that a suicidal isn't supposed to feel anyway. The one thing I'm battling with, although I think I'm coming to understand it, is that to rebel or commit a crime is to say that this is acceptable by all of mankind...Can't accept that yet.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:06 pm
universilism whatever im really agnostic so if u dont know what that means im an athiest that doesnt want to fight

Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:53 am

universilism whatever im really agnostic so if u dont know what that means im an athiest that doesnt want to fight

or spell.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:30 pm
Profile YIM

one belief i have involves ancestral reverence. i suppose that's more historical than spiritual, i do feel my ancestors are a part of who i am, genetically and personally.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:48 am

I've always felt that my ancestors are dead and don't really matter a goddamn bit at this point. I'm running the show now. I'm more educated, less ignorant and far better looking than they ever were.

And I can run faster.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]