View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Society causes Violence 

Post Society causes Violence
This is an oratory I helped a friend write. Opinions and feedback would be nice. It doesn't go into a lot of detail, but it's already longer than it should be.

Society causes violence. Violence is born of the basic urges to hunt and gather food. This is unnecessary in our corporate world, and so society stifles the need until all we are is the repressed urge: The urge to hunt, the urge to kill, the urge to possess what we gain gained by our own power. We live in a world we hate. We have no control over our surroundings, we are not king of all we survey, and if we see something we cannot take it. It is said that: “Power flows from the barrel of a gun.” Children recognize that control is the ultimate need, victory the basic necessity. Think of the games they play. King of the Hill, one child, the best, the strongest, seizes control of the hill, and from there he protects what is his. His because he has taken it with power and protects it with power. Children are like pure, untainted desire: The urge to possess, the urge to protect, the urge to take, the urge to win. Life is a game of power and the people who realize this play it as all games should be played: To win. Sports are regulated, controlled violence, war’s little brother. Sports are played to win, “having fun,” “team spirit,” “hard work,” “focus,” “exercise,” none of these are the real reason. Sports are played to prove that “We are the best, we are the strongest, we are the winners.” Now, sports are one of the last refuges where we can claim that we have taken something by our own power, we have proven our supremacy, we have shown that we deserve something. The victory is our reward, it is what we have taken: recognition, love, wealth, security, and even these are the trappings of society. Sports give you nothing, in sports you must take. Four years of sports and this is my understanding.

Outside society you must take to survive. Outside society you use whatever force you need. Society takes this need from you, and you are no longer surviving. You are achieving foreign goals, levels of comfort, wealth, popularity, none of which used to matter. All the energy that once was used to survive now lies in complacency. Some of this energy is devoted to the new areas, but not all of it. Some of it simply sleeps, waiting for its chance to fulfill its purpose. The longer it sleeps, the more it builds up. The more it builds up, the more violent it is when it awakes. This is the product of society.

What you are is not your job. You are not your car. You are not your possessions. You are desire. You are the desire to take the meat next to you. You are the desire to steal. You are the desire of ill will.

Urge is the man you hear about on the radio who dropped a cherry bomb in the mailbox. This man is free from his restraints for the instant he drops the bomb. This is the product of society. If this man could do what he wanted, he wouldn’t be blowing up mailboxes. If society did not exist this man would be feeding himself and his family, hunting and killing animals.

When you wake up, what do you want? When you go to sleep, what do you want? When that jerk behind you is poking you in your back, what do you want? You want to rip his arm off. But do you? No. You can’t. So later, you key his car, you slash his tires, you egg his house. You do this because he made you angry, and you don’t like that. This urge is the result of the repressed anger. This is the product of society.

Religion: The Urge is Sin. The Urge is what you are ashamed of. The Urge is the thing you hide to make yourself a better person. Jesus: “But I say to you, whoever looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery.” If the Urge is this sin, according to Jesus, urge is just as damning as the action. Religion says Urge is sin, so that we obey society. Society wants us to obey religion so we will fear rebelling. Thus Religion causes violence.

Philosophy: There is no Urge. Philosophy tries to give names and structures to the Urge, to fit it into a neat and orderly box, cause and effect, cause and effect. But trying to do so is like trying to hold back the Niagara with a piece cardboard: It isn’t possible. There is no name or reason to Urge. Urge is, was, and always will be. Philosophy would have us name and catalogue Urge, cause and effect, cause and effect. This is a lie. Even calling it Urge is a lie. It has no name, it has no beginning, it has no end.

Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW

1. Since you state that outside of society, we feel the need to hunt, kill, and be all violent-like, then it isn't society that causes violence at all. It's the fact that as animals, we are violent. When prehistoric people encountered each other, they sometimes fought and killed each other, as we sometimes do in society. Violence is quite often situational, depending on certain events and mind sets to occur. This is standard for all animals.
2. This is piece does not take into account the people who lead rather nonviolent lives.
3. The bit on philosophy ignores those philosophers who have stated just how violent and lust-ridden the human race is, and that any major attempts to do so are pure folly.
4. This entire work reads like any misanthropic rant which hides behind the idea of "It's not me, society made me do it. Oh, and society is why I havent paid all those parking tickets." People are violent, as are their primate relatives. This violence didn't start in society, it started a hell of a long time before it.

Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

Change the title ~ it doesn't hold any meaning.

For the purposes of a high school presentation, this is probably pretty good and will get you an A for the thoughtfulness. But beyond that, you're really biting off a bit much. This would take a lot of refining. You're just sort of jumping through the points haphazardly. Zero in on the precise premise you're aiming to establish and try to build everything around that in a manner that is directly relational. And slow down your thought process.

Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:46 pm

I realize that alot of it may be a bit out of sync, my friend I and I will go over your criticism and hopefully create a better draft.

Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
So, uh, hi. This is the other author-dude.

The title is actually Products of Society.

And yeah, it comes off as a totally unpolished, uninteresting "It's not my fault" message. The idea was basically concieved and written during a Fight Club frenzy. Well, on my half.

I found it hilarious, honestly.

<i>1. Since you state that outside of society, we feel the need to hunt, kill, and be all violent-like, then it isn't society that causes violence at all. It's the fact that as animals, we are violent. When prehistoric people encountered each other, they sometimes fought and killed each other, as we sometimes do in society. Violence is quite often situational, depending on certain events and mind sets to occur. This is standard for all animals.</i>
This is all true. The idea can be refined to a more "Violence occurs on a smaller scale." idea. You can tell there was absolutely no research done for this. Yes, yes you can.

<i>2. This is piece does not take into account the people who lead rather nonviolent lives.</i>
No, it doesn't. It's trying not to, in fact. However, I would think they also feel destructive urges, they just don't act on them. I'm not really a violent person, but that doesn't mean I don't want to rip people's arms off, slash their tires, etc. I went with an extremist viewpoint here. After all, without society would there be such an extreme?

<i>3. The bit on philosophy ignores those philosophers who have stated just how violent and lust-ridden the human race is, and that any major attempts to do so are pure folly.</i>
You're absolutely right. The only excuse I have is there was no research involved. Could you reference some of these for me?

<i>4. This entire work reads like any misanthropic rant which hides behind the idea of "It's not me, society made me do it. Oh, and society is why I havent paid all those parking tickets." People are violent, as are their primate relatives. This violence didn't start in society, it started a hell of a long time before it.</i>
That's not what it's trying to do. Yeah, it's poorly written, which is almost entirely my fault, but it's not trying to say that. I'm not blaming society for people being violent, I'm blaming society for people being so much more violent and-- You know what? I have no idea what I'm trying to say. I'll cogitate on it. Yay. I used a new word.

<i>Change the title ~ it doesn't hold any meaning.</i>
The title is, for the moment at least, "Products of Society". It probably isn't better, but it's all I've got.

<i>For the purposes of a high school presentation, this is probably pretty good and will get you an A for the thoughtfulness.</i>
The point was to be persuasive. I think I'm going to fail it, actually. And it was suppposed to be under two minutes. It's about 3:05.

<i>But beyond that, you're really biting off a bit much. This would take a lot of refining.</i>
I agree. We are going to refine it. A lot. In fact, I don't think it will much resemble the piece you see above when it's done.

<i>You're just sort of jumping through the points haphazardly.</i>
It was written stream-of-conscious by two people. It's very haphazard, and while it looks much better than the original draft, the only things really changed are semantics.

<i>Zero in on the precise premise you're aiming to establish and try to build everything around that in a manner that is directly relational.</i>
Part of the assignment was to include several things like Aphorisms, Parallel Structure, Metaphors, Similes, etc. Sometimes I had to go really far out to do so.
Then I had to establish my Logos, Ethos, and Pathos (I don't even understand those), which I think I pretty much failed at.

<i>And slow down your thought process.</i>
That would probably be a good idea. That'll be worked on.

Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:47 pm
Post Society Relationships and People
This is surely one of the best article on Philosophy of Society Relationships and People.

Society Relationships & Online Speed Dating
Internet Online Dating Services Agency for Singles UK London
Society Relationships & Online Speed Dating

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]