View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 American History X 

Post American History X
I recently watched this movie starring Edward Norton. I must say that I am very moved by the portrail of a former neo-nazi turned with a new purpose in life. The effects and symbolic methods they used were very articulated, and the directing was greatly sharpened. Has anyone else seen this movie? I would definately recommend it.

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:05 pm

I think I saw It like 3-4 years ago, I thought It was great too :)

Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I love this movie up until the last 7-10 minutes. Now, I just shut it off before that hackneyed ending.

Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:26 am
Profile YIM

You might also want to check out Romper Stomper and Believer. Both are lower budget films but follow the same type of story.

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:37 pm

Romper Stomper is incredible... haven't seen Believer. I'll check it out though... thanks

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:40 pm
Profile YIM

Believer is fanfriggintastic. Everyone should see it.

Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:31 pm

I had a tough time finding <i>Romper Stomper</i> back when I rented it... but I saw it at WalMart the other day for $7.50(DVD).

--Rob "<b>PARENTAL</b> / Russell Crowe Full Frontal / <b>ADVISORY</b>" Kemmetmueller

Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:15 pm

... haven't seen Believer. I'll check it out though... thanks

It's based on a true story about this Jewish guy that was in the KKK, but in the movie they made him a neo-nazi.

Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:36 pm

i liked both american history x and romper stomper. never heard of believer. i will have to check it out.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:41 pm

I would reccomend the book "Fuhrer X" by Ingo Hasselbach.

its about a former german neo-nazi who realizes that what he is doing is wrong, so he wants to get out. The problem is that he is a very high ranking member of the heirarchy. Its an easy read.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:32 pm

i liked both american history x and romper stomper. never heard of believer. i will have to check it out.

Check Mr. Movies. I haven't seen it for rent any place else.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:37 pm

In real life, I get to see someone I used to be friends with in middle school, who is similar to Norton's character, except this guy went to prison and came out a Nazi. He's in our store from time to time, and damn if I have anything to talk to him about. It's bloody depressing.

Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:40 am
Profile WWW

romper stomper and american history x are great movies. I too haven't seen believer, but it looks like it's next on my list of movies to see.

hmm... now I need to make a list. :P

Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:33 pm
Yeah, one of my favorite movies. It almost ended up on the cutting room floor due to director, producer differences, etc. Good thing it didn't.
The original director quit the project and it was re-edited to what was finally released. If I remember right, Ed Norton personally helped with the editing, etc.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:53 am

The thought of someone getting their teeth knocked on in that particular way really upsets me

When I was in high school, I used to hang out with all the Texas rednecks whose hair covered the red
We used to call them "metalnecks"
My band "Scum of the Earth" eventually wrote a song about it
My previous band "Amalgamated Hate" was full of metalnecks
Anyways
We would go to parties during the whole "punk/metal" hybrid days (COC, DRI, MDC etc..)
There was a group of skinheads that was always around called "The Confederate Hammerskins"
I thought it was kind of a joke because they all wore emblems on their jackets (what were those green jackets skinheads wore?) that were the two walking hammers from Pink Floyd's "The Wall"
I remember aking them if they knew where that came from and they all got quite annoyed when I told them
They seemed to get along real great with the metalnecks because there's that special brand of racism that eminates from Texas
I used to sit and pick their brains about why they believed what they believed
They all seemed to have their beliefs based on what other people would tell them to believe
It was mostly fathers, older brothers and older skinheads
It became quite obvious that they were just poor dumb white trash that had been convinced of this type of belief because they felt powerless and needed a scapegoat
I asked them why they didn't just get together with all the other sepratists and buy their own country (NO MINORITIES ALLOWED!)
They said America was founded by white people and it belonged to us
I informed them that they were fighting an impossible battle
Looking back, I'm amazed my ass was not kicked
I even spent a good majority of a night trying to get into this one skin chick's pants by listening to her ramble on about how the bible portrays black people as "The Beast in the Field"
When I asked where that particular section was, she could not tell me

A holocaust survivor came to our high school to give a speech
One of the skinhead chicks got up and yelled that he should stop spreading his "Jew lies" and admit that the persecution of Jews was exaggerated by Israel and the Jewish members of the US government (who control the world by the way)
She stormed off and the guy seemed quite unfazed
The skinhead movement in the late 80's came to a halt when several of the leaders of the hammerskins went to prison for plotting to gas a synagogue (sp?)
The FBI found the blueprints of the building (the air ducts were all highlighted) as well as some containers of poison gas (or chemicals to mix together for poison gas, I'm not real sure)
They went to prison for a long time
Some other higher-ups in the organisation also went to prison for assault
The rest just seemed to dissappear, only to come back later as Rockabilly guys
Most of the guys who went down for assault are out now and it seems to be starting up again
A "former" skinhead was found guilty recently of beating a man so badly that he became paralysed
This happened in fron of his two teenage daughters
The security at the club did not stop him
Why?
Former Hammerskins

Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:34 am
Profile WWW

oh really? :) Brintey Spears raped movie :)

Lick the curb, spammer!

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:08 pm

I recently noticed two more white power f*cks than I usually see (the usual being "none")... one at a party in St. Paul, and one at the CC Club.

I wonder if they'd see the point of American History X, or if they'd giggle through it.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:34 am

I recently noticed two more white power f*cks than I usually see (the usual being "none")... one at a party in St. Paul, and one at the CC Club.

I wonder if they'd see the point of American History X, or if they'd giggle through it.

I recently discovered that white laces no longer means white supremecist.

*shrug*

wasn't I supposed to get the memo on that? what if I kicked the shit out of some guy who I thought was a nazi, and it turns out, just really liked iron crosses?

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:13 pm
Profile YIM

I recently discovered where the whole "thug/baggy pants around your ass" thing started
Prison
It basically means "open for business"
If you know what I mean
And I think you do

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:17 pm
Profile WWW

I was always under the impression that the "sagging" trend originated from the fact people in prison get the drawstrings taken out of their pants and shoes so they cant hang themselves or choke others, and their clothes would always fall down. When they got out of prison, they continued the trend to "represent". That could be totally wrong, but I think its a reasonable theory.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:04 pm

i thought the execution of the movie was like most gangbanger movies, where the lifestyle is glorified throughout, and the ending denouces it. it was an ok movie, but nothing special.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:27 am
I recently discovered where the whole "thug/baggy pants around your ass" thing started
Prison
It basically means "open for business"
If you know what I mean
And I think you do

Rokula has it right..although the thought of having your belt and what not taken away may be true also. Another bonus of Romper Stomper is to see a young Russell Crowe in action as the lead character.

Back many years ago I was stationed in North Carolina. My roomate at the time was a non-racist skin so I got to here a lot about the whole culture. Anyway we were at our local club one night getting drunk and I saw these two kids (ok they were 21) wearing black t-shirts with the new redesigned swatika thing on it. I remeber I saw the shirts and was like , " Holy S***< thats what Larry was just telling me about" Well one of Larry's friends was a big latino skin and unfortunately for the kids he was right behind me and happened to notice the shirts about 2 seconds after I did. To his credit all he did was rip the shirts off them and throw the kids and the shirts out in the parking lot...and threatened to beat them into bloody pulp if they came back in wearing those symbols again.

It can be really frightening to see true, full on HATRED in a person.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:33 pm

Rokula has it right..although the thought of having your belt and what not taken away may be true also.

The origin is simpler than that and not as gross.

If you're poor and you're stuck wearing hand-me-down clothing, chances are you'll be wearing the clothing of your older siblings, most of which will be a bit too big for you. However, the embarrassment someone in these circumstances might feel is balanced out by the fact that baggy, over-sized clothing is very handy for hiding weapons and other contraband items.

This is just another case of circumstances being elevated to the level of style, something that happens with nearly every recognizable icon of African-American culture sooner or later.

- Heretic

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:22 pm

What does this re designed swastika look like?

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:17 pm
Profile WWW

a triangle of three arrows, each pointing at the next.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW

a triangle of three arrows, each pointing at the next.

Image ?

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:53 pm

HEY-O!

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:11 pm

If you're poor and you're stuck wearing hand-me-down clothing, chances are you'll be wearing the clothing of your older siblings, most of which will be a bit too big for you. However, the embarrassment someone in these circumstances might feel is balanced out by the fact that baggy, over-sized clothing is very handy for hiding weapons and other contraband items.

This is just another case of circumstances being elevated to the level of style, something that happens with nearly every recognizable icon of African-American culture sooner or later.

That seems a lot more believable an explanation to me than the "open for business" thing. Mainly because I don't see the macho "thug lifers" going around wearing clothing that means, "I'm someone's bitch!"

Also because, I have to say, the constant prison-rape jokes among people who, generally, know very little about that world (which is in and of itself a good thing) get more than a little old. The people I know who have been to prison don't generally make jokes about it. Wonder why?

Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:32 am
Profile WWW

If you liked American History X i recommend "La Haine" or "Hate" in english. It is a french film directed by Mathieu Kassovitz (directed Gothika and the like)

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:43 am
Profile YIM

all though this film is cruel to the heart it is insanely true and educational.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]