View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Zombie War 

Post The Zombie War
A few weeks ago one of my literary contacts gave me an advance copy of Max Brooks' new book, <i>World War Z</i>, which is due for release on September 12th. I never read his previous tome, <i>The Zombie Survival Guide</i>, since books about Zombies don't generally interest me. Yeah, I love Zombie movies, but I find reading about them rather boring. Actually, Horror and SciFi books aren't cup of tea at all. I prefer History and Philosophy. I save my fantasy binges for the flickers.

I'm only a third of the way into the book. It starts out painfully slow and is actually just a series of "interviews" with people who survived "The Zombie War." What ultimately makes it an interesting read is Brooks' take on how people reacted to the Zombie menace given the current social and political climate around the world. The Zombie plague is merely a metaphor for any kind of plague that could sweep across the planet (AIDS, Avian Bird Flu, et.al.), and how our wars and conflicts with other cultures only hasten the spread of the virus.

While it is a clever premise, Brooks just isn't a very interesting, or even very good, writer. These days, any idiot who can put a subject together with a predicate to form a sentence is given a book deal. There isn't much style here, and considering that there are "interviews" with wildly different characters spanning the entire globe, each voice has a monotonous <i>sameness</i> to it, which ultimately sabotages any kind of authenticity or believability.

In spite of this, I'm taking from it what I can and deriving a fair degree of enjoyment from the book. I suppose I would recommend it to people that get into this kind of pulp genre fluff, particularly if you read and appreciated <i>The Zombie Survival Guide</i>. I may or may not look into investing my time in that book once I'm finished with this one.

Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:14 pm

The president was quoted regarding the "War On Zombies" saying
"Those Zombies hate everything this country stands for and are enemies of freedom"
He then insisted we shoot them in the chest despite every high ranking military official saying
"NO STUPID!, AIM FOR THE HEAD!!!!!!!"
The president then took ANOTHER vacation where the Pro-Zombie America hating protesters on the outskirts of Crawford Ranch held signs saying "ZOMBIES ARE PEOPLE TOO! (well, sorta)
The bleading heart liberals got what they deserved when they were killed and eaten by dead hippie zombies that ironically decided that being dead was a good excuse to stop being vegetarians

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:43 am
Profile WWW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ynXBMgLEbM

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]