View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Borat 

Post Borat
Is anyone going to check out this movie?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:10 pm

I dunno. I don't seem to "get" this guy's humor. I thought that Ali G crap was absolutely stupid, and the clips I've seen from this movie aren't even remotely funny. Count me in as someone who just doesn't "get all the hype."

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:02 am

The first preview I saw was in a theater, and it just came out of nowhere (I'd never heard of Borat before and didn't know it was the same guy as Ali G, who doesn't really amuse me much). But it made me laugh my ass off.

I've seen some other previews since then that made me think "Why would anyone go see the movie based on that?" but I'm pretty sure it's going to be an entertaining movie overall.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:07 am

thats the point.

borat was always my least favorite of his characters, altho the sketch where he gets a bar full of rednecks to sing 'throw the jew down the well' was pretty funny. i'll still check it out on dvd.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:42 am
Profile YIM WWW

I'm not more likely to see this than to see Jackass II. I would be curious to see a comparison of the humor all the same. They both seem to me to be about elaborate stunts of stupidity.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:36 pm
Profile WWW

I keep waiting to see Cohen get his ass kicked... apparently, he's come close:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/xp-16655

A few early Ali G segments were hilarious, but that and his other schticks kinda got old pretty fast.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:56 am
Profile YIM WWW

Cohen is a humorist. He takes the larger-than-life issues and figures in our current socio-political landscape and reduces them to a silly, insignificant ball of putty - much in the same way Monty Python did some thirty years ago, though not nearly as effectively. As scorchtone put it, Cohen's humor depends largely on schtick, which gets old pretty quickly. His particular brand of schtick got old quicker than a bad Saturday Night Live skit.

The Jackass bunch are performance artists who seek to take the human body to its extremes and poke fun at our frailty and disgusting nature. They succeed on a variety of levels with this. They have also taken juvenile humor and made it interesting again.

Big difference.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:10 pm

yeah, i used to think jackass was just banal scatological humor, but i watched the first movie, and its fuckin funny. i'd watch the second one. and, is that newt gingrich's wife he calls ugly in the trailer? coz thats pretty funny.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I saw in Henry Rollins' imdb listing that he was in the first Jackass film. which makes me marginally more interested in it. speaking of which, google for Rollins interviewing Peaches. It's worth watching.

it's the mean and demeaning aspects of the juvenile humor that really turn me off. too close to the bone, partly. it's one thing to lampoon the powerful -- it provides bonding and provides some important checks and balances. it's quite another to keep picking on the most vulnerable. that's just lazy.

I expected to really hate Something About Mary, but actually it had very little of that second kind of lazy humor. Usually I just bypass the entire genre.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:59 pm
Profile WWW

I think I'll wait until it hits home video thank you
I expect that there will be no great big special effects or gorgous panoramic painting-like shots in this film
It will be worth smoking up on the couch and watching it for a few bucks instead of spending $20 for tickets and popcorn

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]