View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Padrigh, et. al. 

Post Padrigh, et. al.
zom wrote:
why celebrate the jackass who "converted" the pagans

why indeed?

the holiday, for me, is personally about celebrating the rampant peace which has broken out in northern ireland over most of the last decade, especially the disarming of the IRA. I wrote pretty much the same thing in my LJ. the religion in Ireland up until it's x-tianization was friggin' awful. Bloody, atavistic, fatalistic, death worshiping, and totalitarian. Cristianity was actually a step up. The druids were way worse than their replacements- otherwise, the wouldn't have stayed converted.

The Picts, Dalriadans, and Scots had relatively tame religiuos practices, with a druidic cult that wasn't nearly as powerful. subsequently, it took around 700 years to Christianize Scotland.

Patrick brought peace; I'll celebrate that, for sure. It didn't last, but that was the English, especially Cromwell. without getting into a boring history lesson, the Irish were doing fairly well on their own throughout the high middle-ages.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:15 pm
Profile YIM

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:42 pm

Cromwell for president!

yikes.

he was a Stalin.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:54 pm
Profile YIM

I know. The man did terrible things. Really, his death should be it's own holiday.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]