View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Ruminations of Gothling 

Post Ruminations of Gothling
I first got into gothling.com because I was trying to hit on Jessica at The Saloon
She told me about gothling and I checked it out
Unfortunately, I did not get anywhere with her but I did like the board

Over the years, I have connected with some cool people on this board
Even though we have taken shots at each other, I feel like they are my friends outside this board
I went to lots of gothling approved parties and even met Laura at one (I assumed that she was some dumpy, homely chick,no one could be that cool AND be smokin hot as well)

This site has kept me in touch with my friends up in Mpls
Hopefully, I can make it up there in a month or so and irritate you guys in person
The new site has a very pleasing look and retains the positive points of the old one
I look forward to the new "Gothling"

Anyone else care to share their feelings?
We can all hug afterwards

Thu May 24, 2007 10:16 am
Profile WWW

I was told about Gothling by Mike Kilgour from Astral Grey. I started a job doing database editing and noticed the guy sitting across from me had a Joy Division shirt.

I haven't seen Mike for a couple of years now, I know he's out there somewhere but I don't think the band exists anymore. Too bad, I rather enjoyed them.

I too have met some fine peoples here and hope to continue on with that.

Thu May 24, 2007 10:20 am

Post Re: Ruminations of Gothling
Rockula! wrote:
Even though we have taken shots at each other, I feel like they are my friends outside this board

I love you, Rockula

Thu May 24, 2007 11:01 am

I found Gothling through a stagnant site called DarkTwinCities.com, back in 2003. I took the lack of traffic on the site as a sign that the TC "scene" was either tiny or fading. I chased a link to Twink's site from there, and saw photos of darksiders in significant numbers. I dug further and found a link to Gothling.com, and it was hoppin'. Soon after I went to my first ATPH show, KMFDM and Drok's birthday at CC, and met many of the people I now know.

Thanks, Twink! And thanks Dark Twin Cities.

Thu May 24, 2007 11:06 am

Thu May 24, 2007 11:09 am
Profile WWW

blowtorch told me to come here to pimp my band (PCP).

I never left.

I NEVER LEFT!!!

/ronin

Thu May 24, 2007 11:27 am
Profile YIM

Back in 2002 I was at a crossroads in my life. I was fresh out of a long term relationship that had pretty much killed the frequent bar-hopping and clubbing I enjoyed all through the nineties. I was looking to return to my roots, meet new people and have some fun. I was up late one night looking for cool art online with which to adorn the walls of my new domain. I typed in something akin to "Dark Gothic Art Minneapolis" into a search engine and one of the links was for Gothling. I checked it out. I didn't sign up for a while but I was lurking. Finally, I decided to register. I chose the name "GodCoversHisEyes."

It was easy to get to know people through the board. I attended some events and, actually, Twink was the first person I introduced myself to, at an All The Pretty Horses show at Turf Club. He was the first person I recognized from Gothling. He, in turn, introduced me to some other people, Jamison being one of them. I decided to post a coffee meetup for people on the board at...Caffetto's? I think that was the place. Twink and Jamison showed up, as did Ladygaia and Skywayman. It was November of 2002, and that was the first time I met my co-conspirator of this new site, DarkTwinCities.

Within a month or two I had met over a hundred people, including Gothling's creator, "mamagoth." I was smitten. I wooed her and made her mine. Just over four years later, we were married.

People had come and gone from the site. They had walked in and out of my life. Some had actually stayed in my life, for better or worse. One of the reasons I continued on with Gothling was because of how many people I came to know and, in turn, how many people I assisted in hooking up. It seemed like an incredibly valuable resource to me. I watched people I introduced to one another become incredibly good friends. I stuck with it for that reason alone, in spite of all the shit-talkers and complainers. The "scene" has changed considerably, but people are still hooking up. I like that. Warms my cockles and all.

That's why a new site had to happen, to keep the tradition going. I want the like-minded to find one another and have some fun, maybe even form strong bonds. We all occupy this locality together. We might as well know and possibly come to understand and appreciate one another. I know everybody isn't going to get along all the time, but that's of little consequence in the grand scheme of things.

I've met some true characters. They've touched my life in ways I'm sure they don't even realize. I'm glad to have met them, regardless of whether or not they remained a part of my life. My life definitely improved as a result of Gothling, and I just hope people will be able to say the same thing of this site sometime in the future. A lofty goal, perhaps, but an honest one. I'm not always a complete bastard. I can actually be pretty sickeningly touchy-feely from time to time.

Thu May 24, 2007 10:10 pm

I don't even really remember the order I met anyone in. I know it was blowtorch first, obviously, but I don't remember the rest. Mostly it was other bands- APOX, ATPH, Autonomy, Stigma, Filthy Divine. I got to play some great shows with some of these bands, and some cool venues. I also met some cool people- devil, jezebel, ethel, veinsplasher, sparklegoth, debridement, and mzmel. (I know I'm forgetting people- sorry.) I also met zom right before I moved up, and got to hear kontrol panel. what a treat that was! someone was playing music that I loved- it sounded like the kind of stuff I would have come up with (only better, because wow, can that guy 'spank the plank').

when did I meet thosquanta? damn memory...

by the beginning of 2004, PCP had broken up, I was looking for something to do and a way to get out of EC. Thanks to Gothling and some mutual friends on LJ, I was hooked up with a job and a place to live. I made the jump right after Neubaten and Prom I. I already knew a bunch of people, was playing with all flesh, and having a blast, in general.

I am very thankful for what gothling was- and am so much more so happy, excited, and thankful for the new site, which I promise to use as a way to interact with people, not "reject them" or whathaveyou. Of course, I will continue to be critical (cranky), observant (judgemental), and outspoken (a jackass).

Thu May 24, 2007 11:23 pm
Profile YIM

i think i started going to HM in '01 or '02 with jezebel. we would alternate who got to drink and who got to drive. i met her via icq as she knew one of my friends from madison. i met mamagoth one night at HM and she told me about the site so i ran and signed up. i met a ton of people thru jezebel and at io's parties and just drunkenly hitting on girls. which i still do.

drok - did we meet via ethel at the front, back when they had 2-4-1 guiness? coz those days were kinda awesome. coz, you know, 2-4-1 guiness.

i know coming down to EC to see all flesh is how i met lenin and redghost.

Fri May 25, 2007 9:45 am
Profile YIM WWW

drok - did we meet via ethel at the front, back when they had 2-4-1 guiness? coz those days were kinda awesome. coz, you know, 2-4-1 guiness.

that sounds about right...

Fri May 25, 2007 1:28 pm
Profile YIM

i found out about gothling via the darksider mailing list.

i apparently never signed up for an actual account until 2004, but had been lurking for quite a few years before that.

Tue May 29, 2007 9:11 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

i found out about it from redghost. a friend of mine introduced me to her at ground zero and she told me about gothling so i signed up to check it out. met a lot of people at either ground zero or blue house parties. seems funny that it was 4 years ago.

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:37 pm

I had some ruminations, but I applied salve to them and they cleared right up.

Actually, I don't rightly remember, but I probably saw gothling.com mentioned on the darkside@waste.org flamelist that I occasionally lurked on during the days of Industrial Strength Sundays.

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:49 am

I have no idea when I first learned of Gothling. I just remember noticing this message group full of people to whom I was superior in every conceivable way. I joined to toy with them, perhaps play devil's advocate on a few arguments, and see if I could get anyone to scrap with me via posts. There were takers, and allthough few proved to be much of a challenge for me, I found these people to be a mildly amusing way to kill time when I was bored.

Late night sparring sessions and snooty/smarmy postings coupled with my own self-serving band promotional efforts eventually endeared me to some of the folks on Gothling. That eventually led to casual acquaintences, a number of which even grew into friendships. Some were merely interested in orgies and substance abuse, and those are the friends you keep for a lifetime.

~Ether~

~€ᵀᴴᴲᴿ~

commercial graphic artist, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist

BACK ALLEY: https://www.facebook.com/backalleysocial
CRUSH COLLECTIVE: http://www.facebook.com/crushmydesign

Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:48 am
Profile WWW

I met MG while we were both matriculating at educational facility located in the heart of the city (or perhaps the spleen). She kindly asked me to develop some eCards... ('nuff said.)
I've been hanging around the fringes ever since. After breifly hopping over to TCelectronica and watching that board go up in flames (napalm has a tendency to do that sort of thing) I moseyed on back to see how things were going.

I've made a few very worthwhile contacts here and hope to make a few more as I still have empty pages in my address book. Anyone with a last name starting with "Q"?

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:39 pm
Profile WWW

Anyone with a last name starting with "Q"?

Ruby Quiver moved to Chicago, I think.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:26 pm

I found out about gothling from 2fisted. I'm really happy he told me about it, even though i don't get on the internet much anymore.

I met some really cool and interesting people and at that time I knew no one in the scene. I made some really good friends thanks to gothling.

And thanks to Jessica for puting it together.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]