View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:59 pm



Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 The Terrorists Win 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 5056
Post The Terrorists Win
<a href="http://www.komotv.com/news/archive/4153866.html">I said, "What about my constitutional rights?" And they said 'not at this point ... you don't have any'."</a>


Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:40 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:50 pm
Posts: 1652
Location: Winona, MN
Post 
I love that their reply is that they have the power to impose fines of up to $10,000.


Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:23 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 3375
Location: ATBOG
Post 
A few years ago I had my Swiss Army Knife taken away for good cuz I forgot it in my man purse when the xray machine spotted it. They don't screw around, especialy when there are 50 passengers in a hurry behind you.
She should be fined for taking those poor kids to Disney Land!


Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:23 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:54 pm
Posts: 476
Post 
2fisted wrote:
A few years ago I had my Swiss Army Knife taken away for good cuz I forgot it in my man purse when the xray machine spotted it. They don't screw around, especialy when there are 50 passengers in a hurry behind you.
She should be fined for taking those poor kids to Disney Land!
Horseshit.

They do screw around. Constantly. "Airline security" is not secure in the least.

A couple of years ago they were conducting a security audit with a fake bomb. Not only did this "bomb" make it through the X-ray, they managed to lose it somewhere in the airport. The "bomb" consisted of three sticks and an alarm clock taped together. At least it didn't say "Acme" on it.

I also have personal knowledge of two instances of a person with two knives (a regular knife and a Leatherman) inadvertently left in the carry-on bag being let on a plane.

What I'd like to know, is why you never hear of an El-Al plane being hijacked these days, and yet nobody has to take their shoes off at Israeli airports. Maybe those guys know something?

No need to fine her for the Disneyland trip. She will get it back in spades when she's older and the kids take her on a trip to a nursing home.


Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:06 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:52 pm
Posts: 3442
Location: minneapolis
Post 
yeah, ive gotten both knives and vials full of liquids on planes recently.

airports are about as secure as malls.

meh.

_________________
thosquanta: the band!
http://www.thosquanta.com


Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 4916
Location: S St Paul
Post 
I'm endlessly amused by the fact that they're still checking shoes.
As though that's a real threat.
Like "the terrorists" are gonna try that one again because it worked SO well the first time.
Makes me feel SO safe.

I hope someone tries to blow up a plane with a suppository bomb.
Everyone who wants to fly after that will have to get their rectum checked.
That will be hysterical.


Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:54 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 5056
Post 
Rectum?


Damn near killed 'em.


Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:18 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 4916
Location: S St Paul
Post 
Every time a bridge collapses because we're spending billions rebuilding Iraq's infrastructure instead of our own, the terrorists win.


Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:41 pm
Profile
Post 
2fisted wrote:
A few years ago I had my Swiss Army Knife taken away for good cuz I forgot it in my man purse when the xray machine spotted it. They don't screw around, especialy when there are 50 passengers in a hurry behind you.
She should be fined for taking those poor kids to Disney Land!


You are also probably on the list now. Congrats. Why you would make such an admission publically is beyond me. I doubt anything would come of it, but all a U.S. Attorney would see was you admitting to an attempt to board a plane with a Swiss Army Knife.

JT


Last edited by Jason Guana on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.



Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:07 pm
Post Re: The Terrorists Win
devil wrote:
<a href="http://www.komotv.com/news/archive/4153866.html">I said, "What about my constitutional rights?" And they said 'not at this point ... you don't have any'."</a>


Off the cuff, I'm calling scare tactic. I wouldn't bother reasoning with those people. Remain silent. Let them sabre rattle, then ask for counsel when the "good cop" dufus makes his appearance.

JT


Last edited by Jason Guana on Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:10 pm
Post 
rskm1 wrote:
Every time a bridge collapses because we're spending billions rebuilding Iraq's infrastructure instead of our own, the terrorists win.


Iraq's electrical grid is also superior to our own in a lot of places. You may remember the NYC blackout a few years ago. I won't even go into California's woes.

JT


Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:12 pm
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:32 am
Posts: 79
Location: Fridley
Post 
Jackie T wrote:
rskm1 wrote:
Every time a bridge collapses because we're spending billions rebuilding Iraq's infrastructure instead of our own, the terrorists win.


Iraq's electrical grid is also superior to our own in a lot of places. You may remember the NYC blackout a few years ago. I won't even go into California's woes.

JT


Umm, I'm pretty sure the California problems were intentional, not related to infrastructure problems. There were several lawsuits about this. Mostly, PG&E wasn't paying their suppliers, so their suppliers were taking their systems offline. Enron made it even better, by asking power companies to take their generating plants offline during peak times to encourage scarcity. This mismanagement and collusion is what jacked up wholesale prices, caused artificial outages, and eventually bankrupted PG&E.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... eline.html <- really good briefing.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_72707311
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl? ... 26/1410254
http://www.truthout.org/cgi-bin/artman/ ... gi/37/8796

_________________
http://luno.livejournal.com/


Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Post 
Luno wrote:
Jackie T wrote:
rskm1 wrote:
Every time a bridge collapses because we're spending billions rebuilding Iraq's infrastructure instead of our own, the terrorists win.


Iraq's electrical grid is also superior to our own in a lot of places. You may remember the NYC blackout a few years ago. I won't even go into California's woes.

JT


Umm, I'm pretty sure the California problems were intentional, not related to infrastructure problems. There were several lawsuits about this. Mostly, PG&E wasn't paying their suppliers, so their suppliers were taking their systems offline. Enron made it even better, by asking power companies to take their generating plants offline during peak times to encourage scarcity. This mismanagement and collusion is what jacked up wholesale prices, caused artificial outages, and eventually bankrupted PG&E.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... eline.html <- really good briefing.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_72707311
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl? ... 26/1410254
http://www.truthout.org/cgi-bin/artman/ ... gi/37/8796


The blackouts were intentional, that's a given. The problems go back to the 70s when they stopped expanding the power capacity. It just imploded after deregulation.

JT


Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:46 pm
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:32 am
Posts: 79
Location: Fridley
Post 
Jackie T wrote:
The blackouts were intentional, that's a given. The problems go back to the 70s when they stopped expanding the power capacity. It just imploded after deregulation.


Are you implying that deregulation was the problem? I might agree. Some clever capitalist somewhere discovered that it's easy to collude to restrict supply. It's either that, or work to increase demand, which is hard unless you've got a "Brave New World"-ish society in which every free moment of a citizen's time is filled with gratuitous consumption. Not that we aren't headed there, mind you.

_________________
http://luno.livejournal.com/


Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Post 
Luno wrote:
Jackie T wrote:
The blackouts were intentional, that's a given. The problems go back to the 70s when they stopped expanding the power capacity. It just imploded after deregulation.


Are you implying that deregulation was the problem? I might agree. Some clever capitalist somewhere discovered that it's easy to collude to restrict supply. It's either that, or work to increase demand, which is hard unless you've got a "Brave New World"-ish society in which every free moment of a citizen's time is filled with gratuitous consumption. Not that we aren't headed there, mind you.


That was the general consensus out there. The actual power capacity had remained stagnant as well. It was a recipe for disaster.

JT


Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:44 am
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 3128
Location: The center of the universe
Post 
Luno wrote:
It's either that, or work to increase demand, which is hard unless you've got a "Brave New World"-ish society in which every free moment of a citizen's time is filled with gratuitous consumption. Not that we aren't headed there, mind you.


What makes you think we aren't there already?
All we need is for a major catastrophe or attack on this country to bring this to our attention
Internet wiped out?
Cell phone service?
If "the terrorists" were really interested in attacking our country (instead of just trying to defend their own) they would attack the infrastructure of our conveniences
Take those away and you would see millions lining up to do anything to get them back
The more paranoid of us keep envisioning microchip implantation and the like but how many normal people wouldn't give a fuck?
Plant a chip in my arm?
Sure
As long as you give me my cell phone and internet back
Gimmie more $200 jeans and Grande Mochas at Starbucks and a new car every 2 years
I'll do anything as long as you keep that steady supply of pure, un-cut convenience running through my veins
Hell, that chip just means I don't have to carry a cell phone now
Besides, I'm not doing anything wrong, why do I need to be worried if they know EVERYTHING I do?

_________________
I may be an asshole, but I'm not a fucking asshole
R!


Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:51 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 2488
Post 
Is this where I sign up for The Chip?


Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:10 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.