View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Friends of MPLS Public Library 
Post Friends of MPLS Public Library
Libraries have always been a bit of a public haven for me. It seems many in MPLS would concur: http://www.friendsofmpl.org/support_advocate.html

I called the Central Library and spoke to the book buyer for Friends of Minneapolis Library. My intention is to donate nearly all the books I have accumulated since leaving California. Books that the library cannot accept are sold to raise funds for Friends of MPLS Library. If anyone else is interested in donating books, feel free to contact me. I can arrange transport at times of mutual convenience. You can also join or donate to Friends on their site.

JT

Plea From Friends of MPL Follows:

There has never been a more important time to support The Friends, or to increase your involvement if you are already a member.

Nationwide, the demand for library services, open access to books and computers, educational opportunities that support lifelong learning, and free public meeting spaces is continuing to rise. From toddlers to teens, new immigrants to new entrepreneurs, people are flocking to their libraries.

But in Minneapolis, we face unique challenges. While Minneapolis has traditionally supported usage rates three times higher than the national average, funding cuts have led to the worst library hours of any major city in America. In addition, there have been deep lay-offs and reductions to our collections, programming, technology, and maintenance budgets.

At such a time, Friends make the difference. Last year, we provided MPL with more than $7 million in direct financial and programmatic support. In addition, our advocacy efforts with the Library Trustees provided millions more for capital improvements throughout our library system.

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:18 pm

Aren't they aware of the merger with HCL?

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Aren't they aware of the merger with HCL?

They are. Hopefully, that will improve the fiscal situation. I just see it as a win-win. You donate books you no longer want. They are either put into circulation or sold to raise funds for the library. It's my philanthropic endeavor for thanksgiving. I love the library.
:wink:

JT

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:01 pm

I'll have to do that. i have 3 copies of interview with the vampire. thanks family!

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
I'll have to do that. i have 3 copies of interview with the vampire. thanks family!

Awesome. The more, the better. I love purging myself of stuff I don't need or use.

JT

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]