View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 NASA sucks 

Post NASA sucks
Are you aware of the space agency that you are funding? Are you aware of the huge mistakes they are making, and have been making for over a decade? Do you realize how broken this agency is? Do you have any concept of how wasteful, slow, and inefficient NASA has become?

If not, you should look in to it.

Bear in mind I am very PRO-space program. I want a moon colony, space stations, space tourism, a martian colony... all of that stuff. I am a nerd and this stuff gets me off.

That being said, I can tell you that this country is blowing our leadership role in this area. We're spending waaay too much and doing waaay too little with it. It's not so much that the overall spending is too high, it's that it is misappropriated and spent wastefully.

NASA blows money like you wouldn't believe. They pay exorbitant salaries to their employees and overpay contractors. They pay too much for materials. They pay too much for redundant research. In fact, if there is a way to spend too much money on something they are sure to find it. It has become the culture of NASA. These scientists are increasingly becoming beaurocrats who line their own pockets, and the pockets of special interests. Increasingly few people at NASA are in it for science and exploration, and more are interested in getting the money from this cash cow.

They insult us, the American public, by giving us this farce of a space program in return for our investment.

The biggest farce of them all is the scrapping of the space shuttle fleet before we develop a replacement vehicle. They are about to scrap the fleet, and no vehicle is in sight until at LEAST 2015. That's NASA-speak for 2020, BTW... NASA doesn't get anything done on-time or on/under budget. Because of this, we will be relying on the Ruskies to get to and from the space station for 5-10 years. We PAID for the space station. Sure, it's the 'international' space station, but there wasn't much international about the way we paid for it. So now Russia is the only ferry and you can bet they are going to charge us heavily for their services. They'll charge a pretty penny, too, and NASA will pay it because they are idiots who don't care about what they are doing anymore.

You want more? I'm just scratching the surface. NASA has promised us a moon colony- awesome. So now we're spending kagillions to research how to go to the moon. THE MOON. The funny thing is, we've been there before. Many many years ago. NASA claims to have 'forgotten' how to go to the moon, and that we need to relearn how to do it. They say that all the people who were involved in that moon mission have retired and or died and so the progress has largely been lost. So they are investing a lot of money to figure out how to go to the moon again, and even more to figure out how to build a moon base.... and moon vehicles... and moon windsheild wipers.

Apparently Mars is too difficult for NASA right now. They've said it, and I believe them. If they can't even go back to the moon- a place they've already been - then I am certain they shouldn't try sending people to Mars. Someone else should do it. A different agency, or company, or country. One that has an explorer's spirit. One that isn't afraid to risk for the rewards. One that thinks outside the box and is truly interested in the science that can be learned, and the history that can be made.

~Ether~

~€ᵀᴴᴲᴿ~

commercial graphic artist, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist

BACK ALLEY: https://www.facebook.com/backalleysocial
CRUSH COLLECTIVE: http://www.facebook.com/crushmydesign

Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:36 pm
Profile WWW

Maybe NASA is the front for black-ops funding?

DISSOCIATE "dr3k" "DECImate!" and "PRECURSOR 01-05"
Available NOW at http://dissociate.bandcamp.com

Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I am aware of how wasteful all this space stuff is.
Most of the rocket fuel burned during takeoff is burned to get more rocket fuel into the air, which is burned to get a little pod with people & other rubbish into space... where we don't have any business being in the first place. Monkeys.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW

NASA isn't just about sending ships out into space, its also space research. My childhood buddy works out at NASA with a few groups out there on various projects, and granted 1/2 of the people who work for NASA shouldn't be according to him there is still plenty of research going on that he tells me about.

Many of the problems he deals with is most of the software they use is 30-40 years old which means quite a bit of their computer hardware is 20+ years as well.

I agree with you that it sucks with the b.s. that is happening with the shuttles (NASA is also nearly out of platonium as well) but the research will keep on happening, which I personally think is more important then sending people into space in this point of time

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:37 pm
Profile WWW

id rather waste my money buying golden toilets for nasa than fighting wars for oil

Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:16 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

My second cousin was an astronaut, and has headed various sections of NASA since then. From his perspective, he always found that the really useful science was, sadly, the hardest to get funding for. He made a good case for how real development in the science and technology of the program was needed.
And despite the wastefullness and cost of it, a launch is one of the most spectacular things to watch, especially from the VIP section (i.e. some bleachers in the middle of the swamp). You can literally see the sound coming at you.

Last edited by Haakon on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:52 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: NASA sucks
Ether wrote:
Are you aware of the _____ agency that you are funding? Are you aware of the huge mistakes they are making, and have been making for over a decade? Do you realize how broken this agency is? Do you have any concept of how wasteful, slow, and inefficient _____ has become?

Well, in my opinion, one could fill in the blank with any government agency, but we all just keep voting people into office that want to expand them all. Thanks 2 party system! I guess that would be a topic for another forum.

I always thought NASA was funded by the sale of velcro products.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:38 am
Profile WWW

Maybe NASA is the front for black-ops funding?

Maybe someone could make a really cool sci-fi/action-thriller movie about that...oh wait...

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]