View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ] 
 Conversationally Challenged 

Post Conversationally Challenged
You all should get the best parking spots at the mall. Seriously. There should be a designated parking spot right up front for the conversationally challenged.

Honestly, message boards are, in fact, a dying breed. However, the ones that still exist tend to be populated by people who can actually carry on a conversation. That seems to be something everyone who posts on this board is entirely incapable of doing. Really, you all suck when it comes to common internet entertainment.

My favorite is the Events forum. One of the most popular aspects of the site. Every once in a while an event excites people enough to actually make it to page 2 with the comments of "Oh I can't wait!" And then after the show we are graced with such descriptive entries as, "Wow that was awesome!" and "I had a lot of fun!" Yeah, almost feels like I was there. :/

I know it's not "Darksiders" as a whole that completely fucking suck at holding a conversation because I read message boards from other cities and people actually, y'know, carry on conversations. I guess it's just Twin Cities Darksiders that are clueless when it comes to communication.

So why is that? Do people in Minneapolis and St. Paul suffer from some sort of collective retardation when it comes to being social, even on a message board (because, honestly, you people aren't much better in person). I've been to Madison, I've been to Arizona and I've been to New York. people actually carry on active converations with one another. Here it's like dealing with a bunch of grunting corpses.

So I guess my question is, what the fuck is wrong with you people?

Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:37 am

I try not to type to much. I want to keep the grammar Nazi's happy. I'm almost grammar illiterate.

Other than that, I really dont see this board much different that any other message board. I think any contribution, even "great show" or a simple reply as "yes" is better than no contribution at all.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:22 am

I try not to type to much. I want to keep the grammar Nazi's happy.

Halt!

Was ist das?! Vielleicht hassen Sie "too"?

Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:09 am

I try not to type to much. I want to keep the grammar Nazi's happy. I'm almost grammar illiterate.

Other than that, I really dont see this board much different that any other message board. I think any contribution, even "great show" or a simple reply as "yes" is better than no contribution at all.

"Nazis" does not get an apostrophe, and "don't" does.

Ich bin ingliz major!

Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:00 am
Profile YIM

Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:15 am
Profile YIM WWW

Great topic! Personaly, I prefer to debate more face to face. Not on a mesage board.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:35 am

Location: CARAG, Calhoun Isles, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, Earth, Terran System

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

If I knew who said it I'd credit the quote...sure as hell isn't mine.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:51 am

There's a lot of interaction lost over an online discussion. One misses out on vocal inflection, facial expression and human contact. I'm sure some see that as a huge benefit. It's easier to be a douchebag online because one can't get kicked in the shins for one's opinion. I see that as the problem though; discussion IRL is way more dynamic and meaningful than just text entered into a box online.

On the other hand, I've gotten to know many people through my interaction on this board. Yourself included, devil. I never would have had the courage to go make friends at goth events without some communication on this board first. I wouldn't have even known those goth events existed. People who have moved away or don't even live here in the first place have kept or found connections on this board.

On the other <i>other</i> hand, communication on the board in place of real interaction is sort of a crutch. I wonder if more people would come out to socialize if it weren't so easy just to check the updated conversations on here instead. Or maybe the scene would just fade out without this central hub to cling to.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:55 am
Profile WWW

*chuckle*

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

That one is attributed to Mark Twain. And is one of my favorites, too!

Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:00 pm
Profile WWW

i thought that quote was by twain as well but i googled it and it said abraham lincoln [?]

i tend to avoid msg. board discussion since most people in typed words come across too callous for my tastes. also, i tend to take the things people say wrong via the computer screen so i've just decided to stay off to the side. i've been reading this board for about 5 years but don't feel any connection to anyone here and that may also be my problem. i realize all of my reasons are a cyclical pattern. but i try to support the darksider community in other ways. i know that doesn't really help w/ your wish to strike up more conversation here but that's where i'm coming from.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:34 pm

Location: CARAG, Calhoun Isles, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, Earth, Terran System
ravenlore wrote:
*chuckle*

That one is attributed to Mark Twain. And is one of my favorites, too!

It's one of the main rules by which I live my life.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:48 pm

90% of online "conversations" occur between teenagers, and are usually inane prattle.
When a new member starts one up HERE, they invariably get flamed or shat on or poked fun of with extreme prejudice.

(Damn, I wish the" advanced search" could find all "2nd post in a new thread made by zom-zom or devil or rskm1", so I could cite a dozen examples without re-reading everything.)

Of course, that tends to discourage people from doing it again. I'm not saying that's always a BAD thing, I'm just saying you shouldn't be shocked and amazed by the lack of it.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:06 pm

Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Gee, Devil. I'm sorry I haven't been here more often. If I'd just known how much you missed me, I would've never skipped a day.

However, you have to understand how specialized this board is. This board is relegated around goth subculture, which, as much as I love it, and probably this is why I love it, is a dead subculture (get it? Goth? Dead? Oh, I slay me.) So, you know, now that we've established that Danzig's cool but a bit of an ass, and that Christian Death was cool, but not neccessarily good, or that they are really great after all, oh, and of course, no one really cares because everyone listens to something called Grindcore, or some permutation of Industrial, and why don't I have more Ministry albums? Well then the conversation sort of starts to peter out.

Oh but yes, that's right, we're darksiders now. I forgot.

Well, I guess that means we've got a whole new world to discuss. So, somebody tell me, what's the cutting edge in the Darkiser lifestyle these days, how can I keep on the cutting edge.

Nice work, though, we respond well to aggression.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW

barfffff.

That was an awesome post!

Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:32 pm

90% of online "conversations" occur between teenagers, and are usually inane prattle.
When a new member starts one up HERE, they invariably get flamed or shat on or poked fun of with extreme prejudice.

(Damn, I wish the" advanced search" could find all "2nd post in a new thread made by zom-zom or devil or rskm1", so I could cite a dozen examples without re-reading everything.)

Of course, that tends to discourage people from doing it again. I'm not saying that's always a BAD thing, I'm just saying you shouldn't be shocked and amazed by the lack of it.

I don't believe I have ever scared a newbie off. I wouldn't desire it. Unless, of course, said newbie either appeared to be a complete idiot or a troll/troublemaker. I don't think you have either, unless it was the result of a misunderstanding relating to your sense of humor. As for Zom, if they can't take his heat they don't have to eat in his kitchen.

And if people are indeed "saving it for face-to-face interaction," why are they so piss poor at conversations IRL as well? That's my point. Most message boards have new threads (notice the plural threads) started up on a daily basis. Here we get a new topic every week or so. If we're lucky. It just seems like the people in this community have no soul, nothing to say.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:37 pm

And so bitching and complaining about it is supposed to make us want post more often?
*insert noise of disdain here*
Maybe some of us don't have time to sit on this board and think of new topics to entertain you. Maybe your bellicose musings are a really huge turnoff and don't make me feel like conversing very much at all.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:03 am
Profile WWW

And so bitching and complaining about it is supposed to make us want post more often?
*insert noise of disdain here*
Maybe some of us don't have time to sit on this board and think of new topics to entertain you. Maybe your bellicose musings are a really huge turnoff and don't make me feel like conversing very much at all.

Are you being ironic? Funny? Because this is actually the most interesting conversation I've seen on this board in quite some time.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:51 am

No! You pissed me off! And now you're patronizing me.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:49 am
Profile WWW

Heh. Maybe it's just that nobody wants to talk to Devil.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:47 pm

I'm sorry. I like this board and I like this scene, but I'm not going to ever live up to your expectations of a proper "contributor" apparently. I don't want to and I shouldn't be expected to.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:11 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Conversationally Challenged
devil wrote:
message boards are, in fact, a dying breed.

Oh, and by the way, that's not a fact. That's horseshit.

I am a member on more boards than I remember at the moment. Some of them are plenty active, some are not.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:39 pm

Post since you asked
as for having "never scared a newbie off," I can't prove anything more than you can one way or the other. I do know that I've been much less likely to write here since I get such a WARM welcome from you, devil. (In person as well! So it goes.) It frequently comes off as if dissent from your opinion is going to be sorrow. why bother. Many of the folks I have found worthwhile conversationalists have given this forum up either for good or for long stretches of time as too hostile.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:20 pm
Profile WWW

You're lecturing me about hostility. You're a complete ass who has alienated a number of people in the past year with your fucked up attitude. Try calling another fucking kettle black Ms. Pot. Years ago I had respect for you but the fact is you have little respect for people who don't conform to your limited world view. The shit you've said to me in both public and private has been beyond the pale. You are as infantile an individual as I have ever met.

And as far as Manna goes, sorry I teased your apparent oh-so-fragile sensibilities. Call me when you aren't so damn touchy. We'll do drinks.

Christ. Some people really need to thicken up their skin a bit. Y'know what? Never mind. Let's just go back to being a quietly lame message board. I've become more appreciative of Blogs than message boards anyway.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:41 am

I don't hit this board as much as i probably should but the personalities here are what draw me, mostly. I don't know how anyone could be intinidated by a bunch of screenames on a online forum. Whenever I check this place out the events section has tons of new things while the other sections have a little bit of new stuff to check out...I like the reviews and interviews too. people will bicker I guess but so what. Thats part of what makes it fun to read. I'd really like to meet Devil and Drok and Tosquanta and Zom and the others here...the interplay is always fun. I dont really have much of an idea about what people are interested in besides the music simply because the event part is the only one that has a lot of discussion so I can see where this conversation makes sense. I'd like to know what other peoples lives are like besides the shows they go to. But the way some people here seem to want to fight makes me wonder what they would be like in person, not that it puts me off or anything. I like this place. I should come here more often that I do.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:29 am

This thread is awesome, but I think I can sum it up in four lines.

"People don't talk enough."

"Lets have a conversation."

"You're all assholes."

"Fuck it."

Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:16 pm

yes, I actually think minnesotans suck at communication. rob and tony are the only natives with big post counts on this board. skywayman, thosquanta, zom, myself, all from 'Sconi. the other active posters? from NY, Russia, Kansas, etc...

the only topics that have been provocative at all in recent history have been a continuation of the tired ass OMGDARMA of 2005. Fuck knows I've tried to get the ball rolling on anything from books and philosophy to music and whatnot, but hey- reticence is the state pastime, I guess.

I say fuck it. if people take the bluster of interwebs all that seriously, and don't have thick enough skin or a good enough sense of humor, I really don't give two good shits.

My biggest gripe is that only Devil and I seem capable of planning group outings (bowling, picnics, etc...), when there are plenty of registered users perfectly capable of getting everyone together as well.

PS,

Devil- eat a bag of dicks.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:36 pm
Profile YIM

I used to be a big forum guy, I regularly contributed to quite a few forums. Now there are so many other places that draw my online time and energy I just don't contribute to forums anymore.

Playlists

Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:59 pm
Profile WWW

yes, I actually think minnesotans suck at communication. rob and tony are the only natives with big post counts on this board. skywayman, thosquanta, zom, myself, all from 'Sconi. the other active posters? from NY, Russia, Kansas, etc...
Well, you know how you can tell an extroverted Norwegian? He looks at your shoes when he talks to you.

drok wrote:
the only topics that have been provocative at all in recent history have been a continuation of the tired ass OMGDARMA of 2005.
The HWAT of 2005? No wonder nobody talks here. You ain't speakin' English, buddy. :P

drok wrote:
You suck. Now my mind will be preoccupied with that image and trying to figure out how you would go about getting a bag of dicks and where.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:38 pm

drok wrote:
You suck. Now my mind will be preoccupied with that image and trying to figure out how you would go about getting a bag of dicks and where.

I did say I'm from 'Sconi. use yer imagination :P

Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:41 pm
Profile YIM

I'm with DJ Craig on this one: I'm not a big forum user. I do a lot of my other communication elsewhere, be it lj or actual real emails with, y'know, content.

And *I* don't plan things 'cuz if I planned something, it'd be in StC and, well, maybe four of you would show up. So no.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:57 pm

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:03 am

I'd be happy to start planning events again. Did a lot back in the day, now the schedule is lighter and the pocketbook heavier, so it's more feasible for me to go out more often.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:08 pm
Profile WWW

I'd be happy to start planning events again. Did a lot back in the day, now the schedule is lighter and the pocketbook heavier, so it's more feasible for me to go out more often.

Dark and Spooky DDR and Macrame!

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Ethel wrote:

I think tdg still has our old DDR pads, and I ain't never macramed in my life.

I still want to have dark and sp00ky bingo, though.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:33 pm
Profile WWW

You ain't speaking English either. DDR? Deutsche Demokratische Republik? Double Data Rate?

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:24 pm
I mostly come here to post things that will get a rise out of people. I haven't been too creative lately. I'll get on that.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:53 pm

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:54 pm

You ain't speaking English either. DDR? Deutsche Demokratische Republik? Double Data Rate?

Dance Dance Revolution, I think.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:48 pm

How do you do spooky bingo?

oldskool.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:47 am
Profile WWW

People in the twin cities seem to carry over the same shit from reality to the internet (and vice versa) and tend to not let things go. Many people in the MPLS area wont go onto specific sites, groups, bars, events because so and so will be there.

When you have a small group of jaded non-socializing and pretentious people that really never welcomes new people (in reality not internets) you can't really act suprised when a community dosen't grow, has more events or in the case of this site active members. Do you really think many of the new members are interested in the politics threads? Most likely not; most of them want to meet people and talk about fun things or about events.

I tend to never post on here as most of the garbage posted is related to politics which I can't stand talking about any longer with most discussions generally devolving to something simular to (you right wing so and so, you leftists blah blah blah) and just dosen't do it for me.

Generally when I do post I am beyond wasted and feel like being a complete ass with any lack of tact or precision when I post comments. That mixed with the fact that the majority of the darksider scene from years ago still annoy the piss out of me makes it very diffuclt to make posts while sober.

O and most of the time I feel many of my posts will just get me banned from here, so I type them out and then delete them instead of posting.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:18 pm
Profile WWW

And I tell you, I feel at least 10 percent more pretentious since I've come back.

DTC. Good for the web based economy.

Good for the soul.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:26 am
Profile YIM WWW

It may be that we people are hesitant to use this message board for fear of abuse.
I know I am!

The few times I have started a thread here, it was only after a long time of consideration. There are many more times when I thought about saying something about something, but decided that it just wasn't worth it, not here. We hear now and then about the stats, that there are TONS of people who read the board, but never participate, never login, never even sign up.

There are a few rather vocal people on this board who make conversation an unpleasant experience. They might not “own” the board, but they do dominate it. If it isn't a tendency to turn all communication into a battle, then it is insults & poop jokes. And, that’s not from the teenagers – it most often comes from our leathery & wizened elders, apparently in the interest of showing the newbies how it’s done around here...

& if that IS how it is done here, why not go elsewhere?

Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW

2. i'm not leathery!

Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW

2. I suppose that is debatable.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW

1. poop jokes are funny.

2. i'm not leathery!

1. Only the classy, high quality poop jokes.

2. That can be fixed.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:55 pm

It may be that we people are hesitant to use this message board for fear of abuse.
I know I am!

The few times I have started a thread here, it was only after a long time of consideration. There are many more times when I thought about saying something about something, but decided that it just wasn't worth it, not here. We hear now and then about the stats, that there are TONS of people who read the board, but never participate, never login, never even sign up.

There are a few rather vocal people on this board who make conversation an unpleasant experience. They might not “own” the board, but they do dominate it. If it isn't a tendency to turn all communication into a battle, then it is insults & poop jokes. And, that’s not from the teenagers – it most often comes from our leathery & wizened elders, apparently in the interest of showing the newbies how it’s done around here...

& if that IS how it is done here, why not go elsewhere?

Dude. This place is not abusive. You should try an anime forum some time. Those people are freaking insane. I've never, ever, been so angry as when I'm trying to deal with other japanimation freaks. I start seething, foaming at the mouth, seeing red. This place is practically a picnic.

Why not go elsewhere? Where else IS elsewhere? Do you think I post out here because I love Minnesota culture? (Well, I adore the music up there, I truly do, but still). I'm here because this is one of the only forums on goth that doesn't piss me off. It feels like there are real people here, with actual thoughts, and goddammit, actual motherfreaking knowledge.

I mean look at Zom Zom. Look at him. He took his name from a freaking Gary Numan song. I didn't even know who Gary Numan was before I came here. And honestly, I really can't imagine my life without the man. He's like my own, mechanical little Jesus.

Hell, I think it was even Jamison who mentioned T Rex the first time I saw the name. So yeath, DTC, Gothling, DTC. This place is the original, and of the finest quality.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:38 am
Profile YIM WWW

Hell, I think it was even Jamison who mentioned T Rex the first time I saw the name. So yeath, DTC, Gothling, DTC. This place is the original, and of the finest quality.

DTC FTW!

Sadly, this place would be a ghost town without our leathery, old cantankerous bastards. The site does get a lot of traffic, but the vast majority of it goes to the following three pages, in order:

Event Horizon
Front page of the site
Private Messages

When most of the resident lichens push your buttons, it is because we're all anti-social weirdos on here and they are either trying to get a rise or don't know better. Which they shouldn't and should respectively. Jerks. /snark

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:46 am

I didn't even know who Gary Numan was before I came here. And honestly, I really can't imagine my life without the man. He's like my own, mechanical little Jesus.

heh. back when the 'what would jesus do' bracelet fad was big, my buddies were on a HUGE numan kick, so they came up with 'what would gary numan do' and it mostly involved xenophobia and mechanical men.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 am
Profile YIM WWW

heh. back when the 'what would jesus do' bracelet fad was big, my buddies were on a HUGE numan kick, so they came up with 'what would gary numan do' and it mostly involved xenophobia and mechanical men.

What would Numan Jesus Do?

Welcome You to Romance.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:11 am
Profile YIM WWW

Why not go elsewhere? Where else IS elsewhere?

Well, there's tcpunk.com, which I've heard enough about thirdhand to not even be interested in lurking at.
And there's vampirefreaks.com, which has a million members and conversations galore. I checked it out. Once.

I think a lot of people prefer blogs (livejournal.com, myspace.com, facebook?) because they get to control the conversation and who participates in it. If you start a thread in your blog and you don't like the replies, you can delete them. Or you can filter who is able to read it in the first place. Not so much a "community" as a "collection of cliques". *yawn*

Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:59 am

Besides the only real time friend I have who even likes Bauhaus hates facebook and myspace.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW

There was once talk of adding a blogs section to DTC, but does the world really need another blogging engine? Especially a local site that is painfully specific? No.

I would consider tying a local blog feed reader to the site which could display posts from other blogs out there, but again it would require a lot of effort for probably very little gain.

This forum does an excellent job of disseminating information. It allows willing people to have conversations and other than missing a few bells and whistles, what could we do better?

I'm serious, I'm always looking for suggestions.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:49 pm

Blogging would be useless here since everyone and their cat has a blog it would be pointless.

tcpunk is really not all that bad. I've been on there for a few years and haven't had any attitude like I expected. Granted all I tend to talk about is pinball but its still an all right board for music and some events. It has the same problem as this place. Its specific to mpls/st paul and theres not too much discussion.

The big difference between the two is that the majority of the conversations are about music. This place people tend to never talk about music since nearly every conversation ends 5 posts in with 1/2 of the older members going off about how much they hate "the disco" which makes most people just not want to talk about music.

As sad as it is most of the time on message boards I have been on it ends up with 5-10 people killing off a board of hundreds or thousands of members. on my truepunk site we had about 10 aggressive assholes scare off a member base of 50,000 members.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:36 pm
Profile WWW

that must have been frustrating. I wonder what if anything there is to do in such a case.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:49 pm
Profile WWW

I fucking hate myspace and any other site that allows people to pretend they are web designers. 90% of them turn it into a fruit salad of images piled up without rhyme nor reason with some music playing in the background, which makes the text impossible to read, even if I didn't lose all desire to do so upon seeing it. Pages that play music without warning should be taken out and shot. Plus, all of this crap takes forever to load. If I have to wait 10 minutes for a web page, I expect to see some genius writing there. I am usually disappointed. The pile of puked-up gummi bears that is myspace is not a method of communication, it is a blight on the Intertubes.

I'll stick to the boards.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:56 pm

Where else IS elsewhere?

It involves coffee...

Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I only carry a conversation with people I feel comfortable around , I don't like too many people, mainly because they're mean jerks and I only come on here once every few months and It's still boring. *yawn*

I don't go out much anymore, so I never check the calendar and I've tried many times to reach out to people and It seems as though no one really cares. People like to hide behind their laptops that frequent the message boards.

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW

This conversation got me to log In, LOL!
People like to hide behind their laptops that frequent the message boards.
So THAT's what it does when I'm not around... :P

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]