View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Another sci fi author takes self way too seriously. 

Post Another sci fi author takes self way too seriously.
Apparently, Orson Scott Card's sacred mormon undergarments are in a twist over gay marriage.

http://mormontimes.com/ME_blogs.php?id=1586

Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:33 pm
Profile WWW

Hmmn.

And...
Orson Scott Card wrote:
If the government passed a law declaring that grey was now green, and asphalt was specifically designated as a botanical organism, would that make all our streets into "greenery" and all our parking lots into "parks"?

I can see how some people could really get excited about this guy's writing... the vivid imagery, the infalliable logic...

: P

Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW

i expect more rational statements out of late-period pk dick.

Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW

i expect more rational statements out of late-period pk dick.

DOL

Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:12 pm
Profile YIM

If that is anything like his books, I'm not gonna read it. I can't take it. What can I say, I'm weak...

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:51 pm

And if you choose to home-school your children so they are not propagandized with the "normality" of "gay marriage," you will find more states trying to do as California is doing -- making it illegal to take your children out of the propaganda mill that our schools are rapidly becoming.

And yet forcing children to pray in school would be more than acceptable

Here's the irony: There is no branch of government with the authority to redefine marriage. Marriage is older than government. Its meaning is universal: It is the permanent or semipermanent bond between a man and a woman, establishing responsibilities between the couple and any children that ensue.

And yet, fundamentalists are trying to force a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage

There is no natural method by which two males or two females can create offspring in which both partners contribute genetically. This is not subject to legislation, let alone fashionable opinion.

Agreed
Of course, the next step would to outlaw artificial insemination

We need the same public protection of marriage that we have of property. If we did not all agree that people continue to own things that are not in their immediate possession, then you could not reasonably expect to come home and find your house unoccupied.

That is, unless the government gets paid off by a devloper to take your property from you under the rouse of "imenent domain"

These two premises are so basic that they preexist any known government. In most societies through history, failure to live up to these commitments has led to extreme social sanctions -- even, in many cases, death.

Yeah, but in those same societies, it is also punishable by death to BE a rape victim
What a wonderful ideology to allign yourself with (and what a perfect commentary)

Only when the marriage of heterosexuals has the support of the whole society can we have our best hope of raising each new generation to aspire to continue our civilization -- including the custom of marriage.

That way, people like Brittney Spears can have quickie drunken weddings in Las Vegas

With "gay marriage," the last shreds of meaning will be stripped away from marriage, with homosexuals finishing what faithless, selfish heterosexuals have begun.

Perhaps you should pay more attention to the tone of the last part of that statement than the first

Society gains no benefit whatsoever (except for a momentary warm feeling about how "fair" and "compassionate" we are) from renaming homosexual liaisons and friendships as marriage.

Just like the feeling most get when coming home from church on Sunday

Why should married people feel the slightest loyalty to a government or society that are conspiring to encourage reproductive and/or marital dysfunction in their children?

Why should homosexuals feel the slightest loyalty to a government that refuses to recognise that they are equal human beings?

What these dictator-judges do not seem to understand is that their authority extends only as far as people choose to obey them.

Just like sodomy laws and drug laws

How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.

Sounds like an America hating terrorist to me

Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:04 pm
Profile WWW

Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:00 pm

Careful Rock. You're going to piss off the Conservatives on the board.

Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:45 pm

Careful Rock. You're going to piss off the Conservatives on the board.

off? or on?

Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:11 am

Well, I've never been one to turn down a chance to piss off someone who believes differently than I but this was never my intent
Because of the new election, I have seen through a lot of the rhetoric and have started to notice that I am agreeing with more and more conservative ideas
The problem being is that conservatives have had to fall in line with an extremely flawed administration
These last few uyears have been especially trying for the conservatives
Although I know that there will never be a time when these two opposting schools of thought will live in harmony, I think that conservatives have been shown how much damage has been done to the country by falling in line and supporting someone who just didn't have the country's best interests in mind
I can't believe I am going to say something positive about Regan but, at least the guy knew what he was doing and did have the best interests of the country in mind (even though he was still an evil fuckass)
That being said, I think that we have a great opportunity to have some form of progress in this country
I really like Mc cain
I really like Obama
Both are flawed but not as flawed as the last set of options we have been dealing with
Maybe if our leaders recognised that instead of locking in on the interests of their own constituncy, we could bring this country back up out of the spiral downwards
You're not going o get that by rubbing the loser's face in shit
Just look at the last 8 years and you can see that
Now, before you start calling me a hippie (I'll kick your fucking teeth in man!)think about things this way
I have always been a believer in chaos
The more shit gets churned around, the less complacency and stagnation happens
The key is to allow just enough chaos to keep the ingredients in the bowl mixed together
Too much and shit flies everywhere
Too little and ti becomes a stucky gloppy mess (like Iraq)

As far as the gay marriage thing goes, I think that most conservatives don't have as much of a problem with the idea as the people who are presenting it
Sure, you have lot of people who are just hardcore conservative who will never get their heads out of fairytale land but most Americans are reasonable
The problem is that all of these fuckass talking heads on borth sides are more interested in their own personal image of themself and where they stand than acieving real progress for the country
Change is dangerous to these people because it means that their ideas will become outdated (just ask ant king or dictator)

To simplify the point (why didn't i do that in the first place)
People have become so acustomed to defending their point of view that it has become the idea of "They're trying to attack my beliefs" when we should be more like the Americans everyone talks so big about being
It's a hokey sentiment but it's true
"A bird can't fly without both right and left wings"
These opposing forces should be more interesed in creating concerted action forward than pulling the country in one or the other direction

Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:48 am
Profile WWW

I could never get a coherent reason out of any gay marriage opponent as to why homosexuals should be denied all the pleasures of divorce. The other thing I could never get is an explanation for why it's bad that wasn't religion-based. Best I got was a slippery-slope argument about it leading to polygamy. But then, nobody could coherently explain to me why polygamy is bad. I still don't get it...

Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:51 pm

That is my main gripe about ANYONE who takes a moral/political stand on anything
Too many people regurgitate ideas spewed fourth by their favorite talking head because they themselves are not as articulate as the people who have their own TV/Radio show that allows them to bully and steamroll any hapless schmuck appearing under the assumption that they were going to participate in free discourse
It's pathetic when I have a conversation with someone and all I hear are direct quotes from someone else
And when you ask them to go into further detail, they can't becaus they were only told enough information to get them outraged (towards the correct opposition target that is)

It's just as pathetic to hear someone ask "So, you WANTED Saddam to stay in power?" as it is to hear someone say "We have to leave Iraq RIGHT NOW!"
Neither of them really understand the consequences of that action
All they want is for someone to confirm that what they believe is right
Even if they don't know why themselves

Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:58 am
Profile WWW

Orson Scott Card = Mormons! In! Spaaaace!

Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:26 pm
Profile WWW

awww, man. And I liked "Ender's Game". It's the Nugent Effect: talented artist with fucked-up ideology. Not saying that all artists should be lefty wing-nuts like me, but it'd make me happier if less of them were Absolute Idiots when it came to shit like this. Come on.

I think it was io (Jesse) who told me the rumor that Scientology originated as a bet between L. Ron Hubbard and Larry Niven as to who could start a random, really bizarre religion and get the most followers. Both were (in my opinion) pretty crap-tastic writers. But Orson Scott Card? Good grief. I thought Scientology was just for semi-talented loony bins like Tom Cruise. The talented loony bins should be...well, super lefty wing-nut-ness is always a good option, in my opinion.

Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:40 am
Profile WWW

awww, man. And I liked "Ender's Game". It's the Nugent Effect: talented artist with fucked-up ideology. Not saying that all artists should be lefty wing-nuts like me, but it'd make me happier if less of them were Absolute Idiots when it came to shit like this. Come on.

I think it was io (Jesse) who told me the rumor that Scientology originated as a bet between L. Ron Hubbard and Larry Niven as to who could start a random, really bizarre religion and get the most followers. Both were (in my opinion) pretty crap-tastic writers. But Orson Scott Card? Good grief. I thought Scientology was just for semi-talented loony bins like Tom Cruise. The talented loony bins should be...well, super lefty wing-nut-ness is always a good option, in my opinion.
Larry Niven can't hold a candle to Hubbard's crapstaticity. Niven had a few good books, where not a single thing of Hubbard's that I have had the misfortune to pick up had the redeeming value of a pile of warm cat puke. He was a bad writer, but not even so bad that he could be considered campy. Just plain bad. For the life of me I can't figure out how he became even moderately known, let alone famous, prior to the Scientology deal.

As far as Card, I think his talent is debatable. "Ender's Game" was good, the sequels were palatable, and everything else of his I have come across was... Well, I couldn't finish any of them, and I have been known to read months-old newspapers just to get some print in front of my face.

The threading of the wingnut has no bearing on talent. You just think left wingnuts are talented because you agree with them.

Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:18 pm

Ender's Game is clever, which is not the same thing as good. OSC has no grip on prose, and makes Niven look like Artaud by comparison.

Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:33 pm
Profile YIM

Ender's Game is clever, which is not the same thing as good. OSC has no grip on prose, and makes Niven look like Artaud by comparison.
Allow me to rephrase. Ender's Game was a good read. That isn't necessarily a well-written book, but a book that can hold a reader's interest.

OSC has no grip on more than prose. He seriously expects people to read a fiction book that requires a three-page pronunciation guide for character's names. That one pissed me off by about the second chapter. That looks more like a lack of grip on reality.

Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]