View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:48 pm



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Oh, the people we know 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:50 pm
Posts: 1652
Location: Winona, MN
Post Oh, the people we know
So, a couple of months ago, I went to work part time as the office manager at a Lutheran campus center. It's basically a church for the lutheran students on campus. I'm not lutheran, or even christian, but it pays okay, and I can get the work done whenever.
When I was learning about the job, I was told not to bring my son around work when the groundskeeper was there, as he was a convicted sex offender. The minister said he was "trying to turn his life around," which I thought was a bit wishful, but that's part of the minister gig. As I have no tolerance for people who have abused kids (or been into kiddie porn, both of which he did), I had little to do with him. He'd call me when he'd need his paycheck, and we might see eachother in the office. I thought he was a sweaty, whiny little puke, and I felt a constant urge to pummel him. Maybe it's the father in me, maybe just my vicious sense of justice, but I always got the creepy vibe off him.
Anyway, I noticed recently that the minister had taken the pass code off my account, to access some stuff on my desktop. That was fine, as I don't have anything on there I need private, but as I know the perp wasn't allowed internet access, I said I wanted my code back on there. I told the minister why, and he said it shouldn't be a big deal, as Joshua knew what would happen if he went online (parole violation). I insisted, as it's my desktop, and I wanted it secure. The minister said okay, and we put it back on. Two days later, on friday, I went into the office, and was told Joshua had been fired, as he'd somehow gotten onto the computers, and had been into things he shouldn't. His p.o. was contacted, and he should be going to jail now. He is currently listed as a fugitive, so I have no idea what has happened since.
Then I found out about his wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspian_Ja ... am_Gardner),_5th_Duke_of_Cleveland

I actually read about him on rotten.com when this story first happened. So, not only did I work with a sex offender, I worked with one who made international news.

What we learned from this:
-always insist on security for your computer at work
-some people really are too messed up to be rehabbed.
-that bad feeling you get about people is sometimes right.


Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 5056
Post 
Hey, I remember reading that story when it first came out too.

So I'm curious to know if he would have given you the "Ick" had you not been told he was a sex offender. I mean, there's no way to be certain at this point but it seems interesting.

I'm actually sympathetic to people like this because I know what they face. It's akin to kicking heroin. That isn't to say that I'm willing to give them second chances, just the opposite. But I'm not going to dump on them because I know they have this urge and there's nothing they can do about it. It's ingrained within them. There is no rehab. I'm glad I broke free of Christianity at a young age, I'm glad I never became hopelessly addicted to drugs and I'm glad I don't have to face some sort of behavioral problem that is impossible to overcome (unless you count being a complete asshole).

Interesting story.


Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:22 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:52 pm
Posts: 3442
Location: minneapolis
Post 
its not akin to heroine - sex offenders are statistically far less likely to recommit than any other violent crime.


yet we don't keep tabs on anyone else.

_________________
thosquanta: the band!
http://www.thosquanta.com


Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:50 pm
Posts: 1652
Location: Winona, MN
Post 
devil wrote:
So I'm curious to know if he would have given you the "Ick" had you not been told he was a sex offender. I mean, there's no way to be certain at this point but it seems interesting.
.


He is the size of a hobbit, always covered in a cold sweat, would bring a bunny onto campus to lure in people to check out the campus center, and after seeing how all the impressionable, barely legal 18 year olds flock around the minister, said he wanted to go into seminary.

Yes, just those things would have given me the "ick."


Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:50 pm
Posts: 1652
Location: Winona, MN
Post 
thosquanta wrote:
its not akin to heroine - sex offenders are statistically far less likely to recommit than any other violent crime.
yet we don't keep tabs on anyone else.


Every violent convicted criminal I've ever known had to report to a p.o., got checked up on at work, had regular drug tests, and occasionally got their houses searched. They got their fair share of getting checked up on.


Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:30 am
Posts: 29
Location: NYC
Post 
that's sick, Haakon. I'm glad nothing happened to you and your's while you were in his presence, but that being said, you never know how much some one like him or other people on parole can get away with.

There are a lot of crooked p.o.'s out there, and a lot of them take cut back money to keep their clientell on the "good list", so to speak. sad but true. being a med asst in an Trauma Center in the Bronx, I see a lot of crazy shit happen with crime victims and criminals and the amount of attention that gets (unevenly and unfaily) distributed to the criminals and not always to the victims.

It's definately a blood boiler, but you learn to keep your cool, after a while. either that or you crack. but that being said, I can't believe you were around someone like him. I mean, I've had to deal with sex offenders one on one by myself, but jeeze...he's crazy infamous. I give you credit for not busting his skull open.

Asura.

_________________
War can never be prevented; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.


Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:19 am
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:52 pm
Posts: 3442
Location: minneapolis
Post 
Haakon wrote:
thosquanta wrote:
its not akin to heroine - sex offenders are statistically far less likely to recommit than any other violent crime.
yet we don't keep tabs on anyone else.


Every violent convicted criminal I've ever known had to report to a p.o., got checked up on at work, had regular drug tests, and occasionally got their houses searched. They got their fair share of getting checked up on.


yeah, i get a notice every time they move into the neighborhood and can read website databases with their information.

oh wait, no. that doesn't happen.

_________________
thosquanta: the band!
http://www.thosquanta.com


Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:36 am
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:50 pm
Posts: 1652
Location: Winona, MN
Post 
thosquanta wrote:
Haakon wrote:
thosquanta wrote:
its not akin to heroine - sex offenders are statistically far less likely to recommit than any other violent crime.
yet we don't keep tabs on anyone else.


Every violent convicted criminal I've ever known had to report to a p.o., got checked up on at work, had regular drug tests, and occasionally got their houses searched. They got their fair share of getting checked up on.


yeah, i get a notice every time they move into the neighborhood and can read website databases with their information.

oh wait, no. that doesn't happen.


There are plenty of available websites where you can get people's conviction info, and notcies are usually only sent on the most severe of offenders. So really, not too much difference at all.


Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:50 pm
Posts: 1652
Location: Winona, MN
Post 
Haakon wrote:
thosquanta wrote:
Haakon wrote:
thosquanta wrote:
its not akin to heroine - sex offenders are statistically far less likely to recommit than any other violent crime.
yet we don't keep tabs on anyone else.


Every violent convicted criminal I've ever known had to report to a p.o., got checked up on at work, had regular drug tests, and occasionally got their houses searched. They got their fair share of getting checked up on.


yeah, i get a notice every time they move into the neighborhood and can read website databases with their information.

oh wait, no. that doesn't happen.


There are plenty of available websites where you can get people's conviction info, and notices are usually only sent on the most severe of sex offenders. So really, not too much difference at all.


Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.