View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 bifocal 
Post bifocal
Are people with bifocal seeing often ambidextous? I have worked for about 3 yeqars in care for old people - all over 80 and some with high IQ - professor in dental care/, surgeon/ , director in business company, etc. I noticed they are ambidextrous to some extent, even very skilled with left hand, and they all were with bifocal glasses. Do scientific explanations about such coincidances exist?

Last edited by reebadita on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:40 am

Post Re: bifocal
Doesn't even seem like much of a coincidence, to me. Old people need bifocals because their eyes lose flexibility and focus depth when they got old. Doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with manual dexterity, ambi- or otherwise.

There might be a separate correlation between old age and ambidexterity, but I would be more prone to suspect that's caused by arthritis pain forcing them to switch between hands for repetitive tasks. Or possibly that anyone who's that old has gotten bored with using the same hand all the time and just learned to switch it up.

zom-zom might want to weigh in, but he's just an ancient curmudgeon, not an actual scientist.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:27 pm

I have a Masters Degree in Science, and also have progressive lenses in my awesome glasses.

These lenses allow me to see things very clearly, unlike those who wear regressive lenses, like Fisty.

I am also multi-dexterious and clan play the hurdy-gurdy with either hands.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:04 pm

singing songs of lo-o-ove.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]