View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Introduction and Forum Rules 

Post Introduction and Forum Rules
Hello, I'm the Event Planning forum moderator.
You might notice more of my handiwork in the thread titles as time goes on; I'll be editing them such that they have shorthand prefixes to make upcoming events easier to find.
Usually something like "1/31[Sat]" or "[pending]", with a question-mark prefix to signify tentative dates.

And, just a friendly reminder, all threads in this area should be related to an upcoming event, or the planning of one.
Followups after the event is past are fine, and related discussion is fine, as long as it takes place in the appropriate thread.
Vague concepts leading to the forming of an event are fine too (e.g. "bowling", "trapshoot", etc), as long as the thread title is sufficiently descriptive.
Also a reminder that the "Poll" function can be a useful tool for gaging interest without having to read a lot of "Sounds fun" and "Not me" mini-posts.

So have fun, behave, and see you out & about!

Last edited by rskm1 on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:53 am

--Rob "Hey, what does this button do again? " Kemmetmueller

Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:21 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

I love the shorthand... the dates appear quite a bit more orderly.

Thanks, Rob "Whipping Gothling dates into shape" Kemmetmueller

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:55 pm
Profile WWW

Hey, is it cool to "Bump" a show date... or do you demand something more subtantive?

Lemme know, Rob "Moderator? I got your moderation right here!" Kemmetmueller

Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:27 pm

Conceptually, "bumps" are okay, but if I ever see more than one a day (or daily bumps of something that's still a week away) I will "un-bump" it with extreme prejudice.

It's not a requirement (yet), but my personal preference would be to see something of substance added to the end of the thread, such as set times that weren't known when the original posting was made, or drink specials, or even a simple "<i>In case you forgot, so-and-so is playing tomorrow at such-and-such venue</i>" so the people reading the "bump" don't need to scroll back and re-read to see what the "*Bump*" was <b>about</b>.

If people see too many "*Bump*" posts when they were <i>expecting</i> some new news about a show, they'll just start <i>assuming</i> that threads with new posts only had a lame "*Bump*" added, and skip over them -- eventually missing some ACTUAL new info (like a cancellation or a carpool offer or something).

--Rob "click, click, you're dead" Kemmetmueller

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:30 pm

Based on a suggestion I've been given, I'm going to start editing <b>PAST/PASSED</b> events by adding an "X" prefix to their title, so you can quickly spot which threads' events are actually "over". This won't affect ongoing/weekly event threads, of course.
Just FYI...

Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:40 pm
-Rob "Zorro makes Z's with his whip, but I make these very helpful X's" Kemmetmueller

Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:09 pm

Post Calendar is up
For those who hadn't noticed, the calendar is back up and kicking.
So feel free to post concerts and events there.

You'll need cal-admin assistance (e.g. mine) to make it a weekly repeating event (add it as a single event and then let me know), or to edit or delete them (this job doesn't pay well so try to get them right the first time).

--Ye Olde Moderator

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:50 am

Post I had to do it...
In chef speak.

Fur thuse-a vhu hedn't nuteeced, zee celender is beck up und keecking.
Bork Bork Bork!
Su feel free-a tu pust cuncerts und ifents zeere-a.
Bork Bork Bork!

Yuoo'll need cel-edmeen esseestunce-a (i.g. meene-a) tu meke-a it a veekly repeeteeng ifent (edd it es a seengle-a ifent und zeen let me-a knoo), oor tu ideet oor delete-a zeem (thees jub duesn't pey vell su try tu get zeem reeght zee furst teeme-a).
Bork Bork Bork!

--Ye-a Oolde-a Muderetur

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
Post new calendar
I must need to update my version of firefox because when I click on the calendar link you posted I just see a bunch of code.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:39 am

Post Re: new calendar
the void wrote:
I must need to update my version of firefox because when I click on the calendar link you posted I just see a bunch of code.

Nope, those are server-side PHP errors. Zee calendar ees back down. I suppose I should update the thread title...

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:11 am

Post Re: Introduction and Forum Rules
Wouldn't it be good to have an option to arrange the threads by decreasing event date?

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:01 pm

DaveS wrote:
Wouldn't it be good to have an option to arrange the threads by decreasing event date?

That's harder to do than you think since this is a forum, not a calendar. We used a pretty big crowbar to get this thing to act like a calendar. Some day I'll have the real calendar built. I've been promising it for a couple years now... perhaps this fall I'll suck it up and do it.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:15 pm

skywayman wrote:
DaveS wrote:

That's harder to do than you think since this is a forum, not a calendar. We used a pretty big crowbar to get this thing to act like a calendar. Some day I'll have the real calendar built. I've been promising it for a couple years now... perhaps this fall I'll suck it up and do it.

Makes sense. I was thinking more of having an extra slot, besides posting date, kindof like on iTunes, and you could arrange it various ways. But I guess the forum software doesn't work that way.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:56 pm

DaveS wrote:
skywayman wrote:
DaveS wrote:

Makes sense. I was thinking more of having an extra slot, besides posting date, kindof like on iTunes, and you could arrange it various ways. But I guess the forum software doesn't work that way.

How about just a link to a web-based, browser-displayable, spread-sheet-type of page that allows for sorting across several column headings; e.g., date, event title, venue, formal/informal, music style, live, dead (er, DJ'ed), dancing/no dancing, costume/theme, cover charge, 18+, and of course, a Flav-O-Kink rating; e.g., fetish, BDSM, burlesque, pasties-only, etc. Most importantly, it would be script-controlled, like filling out a petition, where it rejects incomplete submissions.

And instead of clicking to view a forum topic, clicking on the event title would link to either a pop-up dialogue box, a Farcebook page, or a page on the hosting venue's website.

Whatever the event description media is, i.e., whether it's simply a poster image or text, it should be searchable; e.g., for ponywear, full-encasement rubber with outboard respirators, corsets, cod pieces, thigh boots, assless chaps, latex poodle skirts, ballet boots, etc. You know, whatever makes you want to bite something (or somebody). WARNING!! The Surgeon General has determined that biting people in a state of kinky horseplay could spread disease or infection. Always be certain to secure your partner's consent as to where, how hard and how often they wish to be bitten (nibbled on), which includes aggressive suckling with a raspy tongue. :wink:

Ideally, registered viewers could open a pop-up dialog that contains click counters to signify what they would dare to wear, but if more than two people click on the same item, there's no backing out. OR ELSE!! Okay, I'm just kidding, but, yeah, searchable.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Edited 03-17-12 @ 1:07 AM
I can't believe that Zom hasn't swallowed this rancid troll bait, already. :wink:

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Yeah yeah yeah. Maybe this year.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]