View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 From Denver to Minneapolis. . . 
Post From Denver to Minneapolis. . .
Hello all,

I am moving to Minneapolis from Denver, CO to be with the girl I love and to go to school. I have been very active in the Denver scene for many (six?) years now. I love it! I am hoping to meet a lot of new and interesting people in MN and to be a part of the scene there.

I will be getting into town on July 5th. Let me know what the good places to hang out are. Clubs? (I'm an avid dancer), venues? bars? clothing stores? Let me know as much as possible. It will help me feel more at home if I actually know the right places to go have a good time.

A little about myself? Well, to start out with, I have been doing to whole goth thing since I was about fifteen or so. I went to my first dance club when I was fifteen. It was a little coffee shop that had a dance floor and djs on Friday nights. There was no alcohol so kids of any age could go. Since then I have attended about 11 different goth clubs in Denver and CO Springs. Many come and go here, only one or two have lasted.

I have been a Satanist (LaVeyan) for about the same amount of time. I am pretty active out here with Satanism also. Any Satanists in MN should get ahold of me, both my girlfriend and I are very active and looking for any Satanists we can.

Let's see, well, I am 22, I'm going to start at MCTC in the fall and next year I am going to attend U of MN . I am majoring in business. I am an artist and a musician. I have lived in Denver almost my whole life so moving out there is going to be a huge change ( a lot of friends left behind) . I am hoping that I will get to meet some really cool people to help me recover the loss.

Well, this is longer than I expected it to be so I'll stop now. I hope to see you all soon dancing the night away!

Christian Black

Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:16 am

Minneapolis is pretty cool. It's a lot like Denver, but not as boring and without any mountains.

I only know one professed Satanist, and she's a complete nut. Can't help you there.

If you're looking to meet a shitload of people, though, you've definitely come to the right place. Welcome.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:16 am

Welcome. I find it funny that people from all over want to move here, but people from here move away... Anyway, some tips:

_ As far as clubs go, on Mondays we have "Hard Mondays" at the Saloon (9th st. and Hennepin Ave South, Downtown). It's not a true goth-only night, but most of the hardcore people go anyway. They play glam-rock, ebm, electronica, techno, hard rock, industrial, etc. All the danceable stuff from the 80's to pre-realeses. The DJ's (Oxygen and Nitrogen) kick ass, and are also online here as well... It's a great time.

Wednesdays, we have a relatively new night called "Rockstar!" at the world-famous First Ave. (Between 7th and 8th streets on First Ave, Across from Target Center, Downtown) That's more strictly rock, with local bands playing occasionaly, and many more experimental nights are planned about once a month. Also way cool.

Thursdays, there is the original "Bondage-A-Go-Go", which has been around for almost 12 years at our only true goth club, "Ground Zero" (15th st. and Hennepin Ave North, on the edge of Downtown) Darkwave, Goth, Electronica, Ebm, Hard rock, Industrial, sometimes Metal... Good stuff in the downstairs, upstairs we have a couple of resident dominatrixes, who perform relatively tame BDSM/Fetish play on people who want it. Sometimes the music sucks, but the outfits that people wear are always cool, and the atmosphere is creepy (in the goth, dark-is-good kinda way)

Fridays, we have a new night that just started up at First Ave. (check the events postings). It is along the same lines as "Hard Mondays", "Rockstar!", and our old dance night "Kobalt"... It will be request driven, and should be fun.

Saturdays, is "Revolt" at Ground Zero. Same format as "Bondage", but usually more diverse music, and neat laser light shows occasionally.

Of course, damn near every night of the week has live shows somewhere (Minneapolis has a kickin' local scene), and national acts come in every couple months... That should get you started, just keep watch on the events board for all the other parties, shows etc. Good luck :0

Last edited by nightraven on Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:05 pm

_As far as good bars go, Red Dragon (22nd St and Lyndale Ave South, between Uptown and Downtown) is a good chinese food place/dive bar that has cocktails that will knock your socks off, and Little T's (17th(?) and Nicollet, Uptown), though not a bar, is a good mexican food place that is open after bar close that lot's of people go to...

- If you can, catch shows at the Turf Club, Urban Wildlife, and Famous Dave's.

- If you like cofee, there is a cofee shop on almost every other corner here. I recommend Spyhouse, the artist's haven (Nicollet Ave, not sure the cross street), Vera's Cafe', The GLBT/alternative lifestyle hangout (28th (?) and Lyndale Ave) and Bob's Java hut, the biker hangout (27th and Lyndale Ave South).

- Decent clothes for men are hard to come by here. No matter what anyone says, check out Hot Topic first (in every shopping mall almost). Also Lava Lounge has some cool shit imported (there on 31st and Lyndale Ave South), though they are hit-an-miss. If you like leather/rubber/pvc and have extra money to burn, check out Cockpit Project (two or three doors down from Lava Lounge), but they are slightly overpriced and only open Thurs-Sun.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:22 pm

Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:31 pm
Post Thanks for the info
Thank you, nightraven, for all of the good information. Sounds like you guys have a pretty kickin' scene there. I'm sure I will feel right at home. Ground Zero has been around for 12 years? That's impressive. There used to be a club called Ground Zero out here in Boulder. It closed about 5 years ago. Most of the clubs around here don't last more than a few years. I'm sure it's nice to have a club you know is always going to be there tomorrow.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:13 pm
Post Satanists
"I only know one professed Satanist, and she's a complete nut"

It's too bad that there are some people who ruin the name for the rest of us. Trust me, there are Satanists everywhere, it's just a matter of finding them because most do not go around advertising it. I hope that if we ever meet, I can improve your view of Satanism.

Thank you for not bashing me based off of the pereption that this girl may have given you. I appreciate your objectivity and open-mindedness.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:16 pm

Welcome, nightraven gave a very good rundown of the club scene here. You should be able to have a good time at some of the places. (If not all.)

Playlists

Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:28 pm
Profile WWW

I'm a nut, but not a Satanist. Apologies.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:21 pm
I'm the local Christian nutjob. Welcome! ;)

Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:42 am

Welcome! I am Laura, and the little green dude sitting on my arm and chewing on my hair as I type is my pet parrot, Tino. I have a friend who is from Denver and might be moving back - he says the music scene (and goth scene) there is cool right now.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:03 pm
Profile WWW

Hmmm. Look back through the last few new intros. There wuz another new guy who is a Satanist and just moved here.

Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:16 pm

Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:24 pm

Howdy! We have plenty of water here, so welcome! No 14'ers, but a lot of great people and food on a stick.

Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:19 pm

h3y, nice to see you, i hope you wont miss mountains, cause there arnt any here... i miss mountains

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:00 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

You'll enjoy the scene here. Good luck finding people who worship satan.

Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW

As a matter of fact, good luck finding anybody who really "worships" anything ;)

Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:38 pm

Redghost wrote:

As a matter of fact, good luck finding anybody who really "worships" anything ;)

...Besides the sun, around March/April.
(in the frozen wastes of the great plains you get it when you can.)

The hardcore who want to keep that unearthly palor are forced to resort to barbituates and fine mpls. homegrown to stave off the seasonal blues...either that or they die off and then the replacement batch is shipped in from out of state come late spring.

And you wonder why the tomato plants rule the dirt like invasion of the body snatchers.
mmmm fertilizer!

youz Mountian folk should have no problems... besides aclimating to the elevation...(FLAT) and the fact that you have to refuse something three times before accepting it when out dining. oh yeah and the random patrols of mutated squirrils.
they can really ruin a barbeque.

Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:29 pm
Profile WWW

Sun is a commodity here, I forgot, since it's sunny season right now. Oh, and Boot is right... The mutant squirrels do roam around looking for barbecue...

All other weirdness you have to learn as you go :)

Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:24 pm

Hello. I used to hang out with some punks in Denver, and I frequented some of the coffeeshops and diners there. I believe one was called the "White Spot," and has since closed ? Anyway, I also went to the Peter Murphy show there several years ago, so if you were there, hey, we've had a shared experience.

Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:45 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome. GZ will start to grate on you. Or maybe that's just my discontented self and my hatred for all things Minneapolis right now. I need to get out.

Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:57 am

Post Re: From Denver to Minneapolis. . .
christian black wrote:
Hello all,

I am moving to Minneapolis from Denver, CO

Sounds familiar. I moved here from Denver / Colorado Springs area abut 7 years ago...

christian black wrote:
A little about myself? Well, to start out with, I have been doing to whole goth thing since I was about fifteen or so. I went to my first dance club when I was fifteen. It was a little coffee shop that had a dance floor and djs on Friday nights. There was no alcohol so kids of any age could go. Since then I have attended about 11 different goth clubs in Denver and CO Springs. Many come and go here, only one or two have lasted.

Hey! That place sounds pretty familiar. Dance floor was upstairs, and it was on the end of like a building or something that we roamed the halls of during. Pointy-haired Zak (the guy who loves Hearses, I think he's still active in the scene over there) helped DJ there a couple of times. I was one of the 21 year old kids who would come and drink and share with others there. It was alot of fun, probably the most fun place I've been to in Denver.

Welcome to the Cities.
Nightraven has covered the club scene here pretty well, though there are a few additions

Last Sunday of every month there's an event called Electro-Tank that's held in Stations 4 in St. Paul. The music is great, the venue is not so great. They really need a working A/C!
I don't remember the address to it, but each event is posted in the Event Planning Forum, so you can ask the DJ there what the address is.

Tuesday nights lot of people go to either Half-Time Rec (A Bar), or Triple Rock (Another Bar). Triple Rock has two for one drinks (including guiness!!) until midnight, and good food if you get there before it gets busy, and is by far my favorite.

Fridays he mentions the new night at First Ave. It's called Element 27, and it's actually in the VIP room at first ave, not the main room. Confused? First Ave actually has three rooms that can be doing different things all at once, and have different entrances. First Ave is on the forner of First Avenue and Seventh Street. The Main Room access is directly on the corner. When you go to the VIP room you enter a small side door along the First Ave side of the building, and from there you go upsatirs. There's another side door entrance on the Sevent Street side of the building, and this gets you into Seventh Street Entry, which doesn't have any scheduled nights, but bands play there occasionally.

So we've got every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Firday and Saturday, with every fourth Sunday covered.
In addition to that there are shows and the occasional house parties. My next one will be late this month.

You said you'll be getting you town July 5th? Today. If you're up for going out, as Nightraven said, there is Hard Mondays tonight. It's located downtown on 9th and Hennepin. The best place to park is directly off of Hennepin, between 9th and 8th streets there is a parking lot between the buildings. You can't miss it. Park in there, it's almost always free, unless some large concert is going on somewhere else. And Hard Mondays is just half a block down the street. If you come hungry, go to the lit side of the bar and go all the way back, you'll find a small kitchen back there with cheap, decent food (better than fast food).

Cheers and welcome to Minneapolis.
Jesse

Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:26 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Post I've arrived alive
Well, I am here in Minneapolis. I just got here yesterday. So far I haven't done much other than spend time with my girfriend. From the little that I have seen, I am impressed with this city. It's nice to live in a place that has trees and rivers. I am still settling in, trying to figure out my work situation (Ruby Tuesday at Rosedale mall) and my way around the city. My girlfriend and I will probably go out this weekend. I want to thank everyone for the useful information! I'm sure you all will be seeing me around shortly.

"Pointy-haired Zak (the guy who loves Hearses, I think he's still active in the scene over there) helped DJ there a couple of times. I was one of the 21 year old kids who would come and drink and share with others there. It was alot of fun, probably the most fun place I've been to in Denver."

You know Zac Helm?! That's cool. Yeah, he's still around trying to be famous as usual (guess he's somewhat successful if there are two people in Minneapolis that know who he is!) I've known that guy for years though we never became great friends, more like a friend-of-a-friend type thing. He actually had his own club for a while until the cops came and shut it down because, well, it was completely illegal. Oh yeah, his hair hasn't changed since I met him.

"Hello. I used to hang out with some punks in Denver, and I frequented some of the coffeeshops and diners there. I believe one was called the "White Spot," and has since closed ? Anyway, I also went to the Peter Murphy show there several years ago, so if you were there, hey, we've had a shared experience."

I missed the Peter Murphy show because I had just quit my job at the time and was broke. (Same reason I just missed the Skinny Puppy show there last Tuesday!) I wonder what punks you hung out with? I knew of few of them like Jim Bernetti, Victor, and that group. The White Spot was a cool place: indeed, it is now a parking lot. It's nice to hear that some people know about Denver. I'm excited to be here though, so much to discover!

Christian Black

Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:59 pm

Yeah, I remember Ground Zero in Boulder. Fun place. Hey, is the Sink still there?

Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]