View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 BE HEARD 
Post BE HEARD
I go to the U of M and am doing a debate about the gothic subculture. I hope to prove that many are MISUNDERSTOOD and a gothic subculture ISN'T A FASHION STATEMENT like many seem to believe. PLEASE email if you would like to give me FACTS ---> mcco0459@umn.edu or maybe meet for some lunch downtown. --MY TREAT

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:04 pm

thanks though.

but seriously... one is enough...

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:06 pm
Profile YIM

only if i can order for you...a nice tall glass of we-heard-you-the-first-time. MY TREAT.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:48 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: hey listen
MegiM2004 wrote:
blah blah blah

PM'd you, BTW.

Welcome to Gothling. Research away.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:22 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome to Gothling! I hope you enjoy your stay! Good luck with your debate!

Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:16 pm

Post ***admin post***
Hokee dokee, I just deleted a post for flaming. Knock it off, all of you.

The reason people are so touchy here about interviews and polls and surveys and whatnot is because of the recent media spate and misquotations. It's generally unwise to treat a group of people as an oddity or a novelty or "others," which is invariably what happens when complete strangers wander in or PM our members and try for interviews or surveys. It's happened before and I'm sure it'll happen again. We're tired of it. If people choose to survey or interview people I strongly recommend a nice introduction at first instead of an immediate demand for information. That generally doesn't go over well, regardless of the targeted subject.

In the future I recommend trying to get a general feel for a place and introduce yourself and make nice before easing into requests or demands. I think you'll find you'll get better results.

And old members, sometimes you need to learn when to keep opinions to yourselves, especially if you're not a moderator or administrator. Determining post content is their job, not yours. Think upon it.

Thank you.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:44 pm
Profile WWW

What is there to debate, other than the fact that the term "Goth" is ridiculous and ultimately quite meaningless? A History of Goth is one thing, but a debate? I fail to see how "Goth" could ever be considered an "issue."

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:48 am

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:15 pm

What is there to debate, other than the fact that the term "Goth" is ridiculous and ultimately quite meaningless? A History of Goth is one thing, but a debate? I fail to see how "Goth" could ever be considered an "issue."

I am increasingly disturbed with the increasing contemptuous view on the word "Goth". As far as I can tell both the term Goth and Darksider describe the same thing, it's just that Goth has more negative baggage attached to it. People are increasingly desperate to not be seen as these children like H3LL HATH NO FURY, Vampire Kiss, and Goth Sk8ter, that they desperately try to throw off the name, however let's not delude ourselves by trying to say that Darksider is somehow set apart or holier than Goth. In about twenty years there will be just as much damage done in the name of Darksider as any Goth.

Now, I'm not saying that people shouldn't be considered Darksider, or that we should only consider ourselves Goth, but it's increasingly hard to try to kick it oldschool when some of the very people you learned from are discrediting the very source of your awesomeness.

Peace out, folks.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW

As far as I can tell both the term Goth and Darksider describe the same thing, it's just that Goth has more negative baggage attached to it.

No, "goth" is MUCH more specific.
"Darksider" is a generic category that encompasses goths, rivetheads, darkravers, vampire LARPers, cyberpunks, etc.

Spookykids can legitimately claim to be "darksiders", but they tend to get bitchslapped when they try to pass themselves off as "goth".

Juggalos are NEITHER. That's not even up for debate.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:24 pm

Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]