View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Just got into town ... 

Post Just got into town ...
Hello, all. I just moved up here from Colorado, but I've been around on and off for years; I'm "LeXi's friend from Denver." Recently I've also been "that guy on crutches," but fortunately that's going away ... I'm here to work on my PhD in biostatistics at the U of M, so I don't get out much, but I do try to have enough of a social life to stay sane.

It's good to find this place. I was involved for a while in helping to run a very similar site in Denver, GothicPlanet.com (which is still around, although it's pretty quiet these days; maybe the boards could exchange links?) Looks like a lot of fun.

And now, being the overworked grad student that I am, I'm going to express my sense of woo-hoo at the end of the week and the wild weekend ahead by ... going to bed. G'night.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:58 pm
Profile WWW

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:48 am

Welcome. I'm the "cranky guy who belittles people for his own personal enjoyment." It's good to have you on board.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:56 pm

Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:30 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome. I'm the "cranky guy who belittles people for his own personal enjoyment." It's good to have you on board.

Hey....

Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:57 am

because "cranky" "guys" who belittle people for their own "enjoyment" are really an original, fascinating, brave phenomenon, and hard to find. and we never talk about them.

what's biostatistics like?

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:21 pm
Profile WWW

I kinda suspected that the crankiness and belittling might be overstated. A genuine misanthrope wouldn't run a place like this, for one thing.

Biostatistics is, like ... statistics ... and ... biology ... and ... stuff. ;)

Seriously? I'm enjoying it so far. I decided to move back toward the math side of things after getting my MS in computer science with a computational biology emphasis; I realized about halfway through my MS program that while I like computers and I'm good with them, I don't <b>care</b> about them enough to want to make a career of CS (or bioinformatics / computational biology, which is essentially a subfield of CS the way biostatistics is a subfield of statistics, and ultimately of math. CS <b>should</b> be taught as part of math, IMNSGDHO, but in practice it usually isn't.) Basically, computers to me are a tool for solving math problems, and math is a tool for solving biology problems, and solved biology problems are a method for healing sick people, which in one way or another has been the point of just about everything I've done my whole adult life.

All that being said, right now it's a shitload of work and I'm not entirely sure whether or not that light I see waaay off at the end of the tunnel is actually the train coming toward me. Ask me again at the end of the semester ...

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:53 pm
Profile WWW

Post a lot.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:32 pm

it's unorigional the 3rd time but, eh
i am "that one kid with horrific taste and cant spell worth shit even though she is in highschool"

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:44 pm
Profile YIM

I'll do my best to keep posting. I have this tendency to drop off the face of the planet for long stretches, and then come back and say, "Hey, everyone, remember me?" Seems like they usually do; I guess I'm lucky.

Um ... horrific taste is kind of a prerequisite, isn't it? ;)

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]