View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] 
 o'la 

Post o'la
Hey my name is Trace. I was referred to this site by Shannon blowtorch of APTH. this is my shoutout to you all!!
I live about 150 miles SW of MPLS.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:49 pm

Either Blowtorch thinks you're good fella, or she's dumping you on us.

Tell us all about yourself.

And welcome.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:00 pm

Post info
I'm 37. married (9 years in march) with 2 daughters ages 4 (sierra) and 6 (skylar) (in 7 days). my wife is party planning like crazy! we are having 10 girls from her class over. NIGHTMARE!!
I feel like a fish out of water as I really love electronic music and the goth "look" yet I live in small town USA. I'm not complaining, just stating fact. I love my work!! I am a farmer!! yep, this is not an error. I lean more toward the EBM / trip hop/ Futurepop/ synth / industrial side of things. I am not really into goth rock aside from maybe old school stuff like the CURE and Gene loves jezebel.
I hate hip hop and country music
I wish I was more into the local scene but I think that Ground Zero is past my time as like i said I am 37. I do not have any goth friends (that's what i was hoping to accomplish here). I only know of a couple bands locally that I really like (sound that is). #1 would be Endless blue (not local anymore but they were when i discovered their music, use to crash at their place after shows) followed by Heliosphere, Little tin box, avenpitch, envy is blind, UCKF, mach fox (have not heard his stuff but have heard good things, i am not much of a "go to the website" and listen kind of guy. I need a physical CD to pick the music apart.
I almost like going to shows just to see the fashion even more than the music. I LOVE originality when it comes to goth dress.
Anyway, hello!!!

Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:47 pm

Post Re: info
badboy wrote:
I think that Ground Zero is past my time as like i said I am 37.

Tell that to the foursome of grandparents I saw there a couple weeks back.

All you have to do is send your kids to college... (2019?)... and GZ will still be there for you.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:06 pm

i have never been to GZ before so i can't form an opinion. Have heard good and bad. I do know that they do not take risks on new acts (unless you are sleeping with someone) and that you can "set your watch" to their playlist. I like new music!!

Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:47 pm

i have never been to GZ before so i can't form an opinion. Have heard good and bad. I do know that they do not take risks on new acts (unless you are sleeping with someone) and that you can "set your watch" to their playlist. I like new music!!

Well, some of that is true, but some of that is DJ-specific, not venue-specific.

Hey, isn't Trimont the town where they opened that club that hosted a live synthpop acts? I never made it to the club (is it still operational?) but did drive out for a couple shows held in what amounted to a huge BARN, where they were kind of "sowing the seeds" as a precursor to opening that club...

Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:25 pm

Post live synth/ electro in trimont
WOW!! well i am satisfied with failure to at least know that someone in a far off town traveled to see the place. It is still up and running but it is focusing on hispanics with DJ mexican music on weekends with the occasional band. Mike (the owner) would let me do something if I wanted to but I am sick of pouring money into a dead dream. I had tried doing some shows in rochester too and had a real successful one at ultra lounge this summer with Endless blue (got called back for an encore!! it was really a pinnacle for me!!). We were so pumped to get them back in there and get some sort of an electro night going in that city. There is a DJ there called DJ dave that had been trying to get something going too at the same venue but I don't know what the problem is but now he is gone too. We are going to meet and talk about music sometime this christmas. we both would like to see some sort of goth/electro night in Rochester.
The club in Trimont is called Luminarious. I did a handful of shows there and I guess when you look at an average turnout for an electro show in MPLs we did pretty well (40-80 people average). however the biggest problem was expenses. I had to rent my own sound and that KILLED me (i will not cut back on sound). Also I had to take care of everything except the bar. Just a pain in the ass with no reward. I could rarely enjoy the music cause i was so busy. We would do 16+ and this seemed to work OK as the place was huge. Once in a while we would get a good kid turnout but they just don't "get" new music. It needs to be on the radio and overplayed or they act like it is a fungus. People did come up to me and tell me they liked some of the stuff I did there and I had wanted to do a few more nights but it is hard to get people to travel. We have tried EVERYTHING aside from comedy to get a draw. I guess we haven't done hip hop either but I won't stoop that low. If I am going to put in my time and money it has to be something that i enjoy and feel is worth the effort.
I still love that place and wish we could make it work but Mike has found his niche with the hispanics and he needs to go with what makes money. Mike keeps asking me to do something but until he gets his own sound (he is in the process) I just can't afford to do anything.
A side note: general audiences do not like an entire evening of new music. This much I have learned. Need to mix it up.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:34 pm

Post different venue
you know what? I was talking to my wife about the "barn" you mentioned. I never heard anyone call Luminarious a barn before although there is a barn painted outside.
I bet you are referring to the electro show I did at The I-90 expo center the summer of 2004? 3 Electro bands and a trance DJ. This place is south of sherburn about 2 miles and 8 miles south of trimont. This is a horse barn but I still love the place to do shows. Great sound, cool stage, awesome facilities!! Owners were great to work with and loved the music. Wierd thing as they normally deal with horse stuff and country music. they did a bunch of national acts and they failed too as they do not do that anymore. people ALWAYS make excuses to not go out and they did for these national acts too. One was Dwight Youkum and another was Trace Adkins. nitty gritty dirt band.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:54 pm

welcome, badboy! you certainly buck the stereotypes. I have to say, this line in your message stood out to me:
Quote:
We would do 16+ and this seemed to work OK as the place was huge. Once in a while we would get a good kid turnout but they just don't "get" new music. It needs to be on the radio and overplayed or they act like it is a fungus.

Yeah, that's the thing; a "scene" needs more than one reinforcing venue. And frankly, promotion is HARD. It's a shame that the other DJ guy is gone again. Are you guys in The Current's broadcast range?

Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:47 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome, it's too bad the cities are such a drive for you. Being 37 isn't a reason to come out to the clubs. Heck I'm 36 and I go out all the time. (I also DJ at two of them.)

Playlists

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:58 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: live synth/ electro in trimont
badboy wrote:
I had tried doing some shows in rochester too and had a real successful one at ultra lounge this summer with Endless blue (got called back for an encore!! it was really a pinnacle for me!!). We were so pumped to get them back in there and get some sort of an electro night going in that city. There is a DJ there called DJ dave that had been trying to get something going too at the same venue but I don't know what the problem is but now he is gone too. We are going to meet and talk about music sometime this christmas. we both would like to see some sort of goth/electro night in Rochester.

If you ever need a dj for a night in Rochester, contact me. I was in talks with the Loveugly for a while about this, but then they told me they didn't think Rochester could support a night (even though they had multiple people bugging them repeatedly for one).

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:05 pm
Profile WWW

If you guys were to line up some kind of event night we could arrange a Gothling shuttle to get the Gothling Allstars down there and make it a rip-roarin' Goth Barn Dance. Or something.

Hey rskm, still looking to pimp out an old hearse? Maybe we could get Frost to install a wetbar.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:56 pm

Post Re: different venue
badboy wrote:
you know what? I was talking to my wife about the "barn" you mentioned. I never heard anyone call Luminarious a barn before although there is a barn painted outside.
I bet you are referring to the electro show I did at The I-90 expo center the summer of 2004? 3 Electro bands and a trance DJ. This place is south of sherburn about 2 miles and 8 miles south of trimont.

Yeah!! That's the place; Sherburn. I was at that show, and stuck around to dance on the dirt floor to the DJ set, after all the local yokels (literally, sad to say) had gone home. Awesome show and totally worth the trip, just a bit "surreal" of a venue. I showed up for the Echoing Green show the following year too.

I've never been to Luminarious (couldn't recall the name), only heard about it. My "barn" reference referred to the I-90 Expo show. I was planning to go see Provision there, but they booked another show at Kitty Cat Klub in the Cities so I caught them there instead.

So you organized the Endless Blue show at Ultra Lounge? Hell, I was *there* too! It was pure dumb luck, too. I was stuck in Rochester working that weekend, so I did a google search trying to figure out what was going on at Ultra Lounge (former site of "LoveUgly Cafe"), and got a hit on Endless Blue's website!!

Ultra Lounge would be the PERFECT venue for a Rochester "alterna-night", but only if we joined forces with the punk scene or the 80's retro New-Wave crowd or the metalheads or something. No way could we round up enough goth or synthpop or industrial fans in Rochester. I'm one of the other people that occasionally bugs the owner about it. But since he's sticking with hip-hop, I spend $20 in gas to drive to the Cities most weekends. 8-P

P.S. I'm 37!

Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:31 pm

Hey rskm, still looking to pimp out an old hearse? Maybe we could get Frost to install a wetbar.

Bad timing; I've got 4 cars, and the d^mn condo association is booting me out of my second garage at the end of December, which means I'm gonna be spending a small fortune just on storage units.

If I can find a good, long-term stable OO-programming job up in the Cities, I am *so* outta this one-horse town. I'll buy me a little house in the outskirts and put up a friggin pole-shed to store vehicles in.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:41 pm

Post rochester
we need to collaberate. My goal is to bring an all electro/alternative music into one night. Two bands with DJing the rest of the time. I would even be fine with one live band as you know we will have to pay to get bands to travel. What did you think of Endless Blue? i thought the show at ultra lounge was amazing. Sadly they are not performing live anymore until further notice. Good news for them and bad for fans. They are expecting a baby and family comes first!! the way it should be though.
Did you go to the EG show with Joy electric in fairmont at red rock center last january? that was a great show. had about 85 people. it was -11 and a sunday. bad night for a show but still lost money. someday i hope i can make money.
Dave (the second guy at UL) is a huge fan of electronic music (and a DJ) and i am eager to see what happened between him and the owner. YES, i know all about them going with hip hop. It was sad the way the crowd turned over after the EB show. I think if they would have had a DJ that night that played electro people would have jammed!! I was set too. The second band although not electro was decent. sort of like Primus.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:55 pm

welcome, badboy! you certainly buck the stereotypes. I have to say, this line in your message stood out to me:
Quote:
We would do 16+ and this seemed to work OK as the place was huge. Once in a while we would get a good kid turnout but they just don't "get" new music. It needs to be on the radio and overplayed or they act like it is a fungus.

Yeah, that's the thing; a "scene" needs more than one reinforcing venue. And frankly, promotion is HARD. It's a shame that the other DJ guy is gone again. Are you guys in The Current's broadcast range?

No we are not sadly. You want to see stereotypes bucked? come to the show we are doing at Triple Rock on 1/13/05 with All the pretty horses and apoclaypse theatre. I am betting this show will be wild!!! More info in the next few weeks.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:58 pm

Post Re: rochester
badboy wrote:
we need to collaberate. My goal is to bring an all electro/alternative music into one night. Two bands with DJing the rest of the time. I would even be fine with one live band as you know we will have to pay to get bands to travel.

With Broadway Records gone, there's really nowhere to promote shows. (Who shops at Face the Music? Bleh!).

So the best bet would be to pick an unpopular weeknight and have something at Ultra Lounge every week until you build a crowd... THEN, when a band comes through that nobody's heard of (Metropolis, WTII, and ADD artists don't get a lot of radio play on KROC, heh), people will show up anyway because "the whole Whateversday-night crowd says they're good".

badboy wrote:
What did you think of Endless Blue? i thought the show at ultra lounge was amazing.

They get better every time I see 'em (first saw State-4 at... "Fireball Espresso Cafe" or something?). Not stompy or dancey enough to be in my "list O fave's", but still okay.

Hmm...
Other venue ideas: a place like Bon's Buffet&SportsBar (before the FBI shut 'em down?) would've been ideal. They had a music/dance license and served food, so it'd be intrinsically "all-ages", AND they advertised on the radio and probably would've injected a blurb about "Electro/Darksider Whateversday" for a publicity boost.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:35 pm

badboy wrote:
.. i am not much of a "go to the website" and listen kind of guy. I need a physical CD to pick the music apart.

Have you got both of the TC Electropunk compilations? Good local stuff, and quite a variety!
http://www.avenpitch.com/tcelectropunk-music.html (well, yeah, you kinda HAVE TO go to the website if you weren't at any of the shows where they were giving away CD's)

badboy wrote:
I almost like going to shows just to see the fashion even more than the music. I LOVE originality when it comes to goth dress.

Two words:
. Goth
. Prom

Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:49 pm

If you guys were to line up some kind of event night we could arrange a Gothling shuttle to get the Gothling Allstars down there and make it a rip-roarin' Goth Barn Dance. Or something.

H.

You know this is one topic that has come up but I just don't see too many metro people coming to rochester. why? MPLS has everything doesn't it? I could be wrong but I doubt you could have a regular crowd full of TC people in Roch. We talked about bussing electro fans to Trimont but it never materialized. My philosopy is that if your town can support HOT TOPIC then you should have enough "goths" or fans of the music to support a special night. I had briefly run the idea past the owner of ultra lounge about a goth prom. He was receptive but I am tired of making every effort and he does nothing to recipricate. DJ dave said that there is a possiblity the place might be up for sale in the future. If it is Dave would like to buy it. I have no idea on time frame.
I know the idea of a barn dance is funny to most but you have to admit that if you see the place and experienced the show there that it is an awesome place to have a concert. the stage is 20 ft. in the air stuck in the corner with no railing to prevent you falling to your doom. Closed circuit TV to all rooms of the venue. BAr located behind the seats. Gravel mosh pit with stadium seating for 250.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:03 pm

Welcome, it's too bad the cities are such a drive for you. Being 37 isn't a reason to come out to the clubs. Heck I'm 36 and I go out all the time. (I also DJ at two of them.)

where do you DJ? I just see alot of my peers sitting at home or going to basketball games or whatever and that is not something I am into any more. I use to be MR. athletic but the way sports are done in school nowadays makes me sick. I wouldn't be against my kids playing but I do not like to go out and watch.
I really like the kitty kat club.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:08 pm

rskm1 wrote:
badboy wrote:
.. i am not much of a "go to the website" and listen kind of guy. I need a physical CD to pick the music apart.

Have you got both of the TC Electropunk compilations? Good local stuff, and quite a variety!
http://www.avenpitch.com/tcelectropunk-music.html (well, yeah, you kinda HAVE TO go to the website if you weren't at any of the shows where they were giving away CD's)

badboy wrote:

Two words:
. Goth
. Prom

I have seen AVenpitch two times. have not seen them with their new keyboardist sarah. once in the cities at QUESTand once at ultra lounge. I drove all the way to roch just to catch their show. Todd gave me a copy of electropunk vol 2 but i was so drunk that night that i lost it. something about AP makes me want to tip back beer like i was back in college.

Tell me about Goth prom. i have visions of what i would think it would be.

Were you one of the guys that showed up early before we even loaded in and was waiting outside for the EG? I remember a couple guys that looked about 20 that were dressed all in black. these guys were dancing quite a bit too. yes the local folk did not dance. I thought though that the high school girls that were there did a pretty good job of having fun and dancing. We all danced in a circle. one of the girls babysits our kids and her dad sponsored the show.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:26 pm

dj_craig wrote:

where do you DJ? I just see alot of my peers sitting at home or going to basketball games or whatever and that is not something I am into any more. I use to be MR. athletic but the way sports are done in school nowadays makes me sick. I wouldn't be against my kids playing but I do not like to go out and watch.
I really like the kitty kat club.

I DJ at Hard Mondays at the Saloon and I have recently started on Thursdays at Ground Zero.

badboy wrote:
Tell me about Goth prom. i have visions of what i would think it would be.

This coming spring will be our third Goth Prom. They are kind of like the prom that you would have wanted. Take a look for yourself, they were pretty frick'n cool.

Playlists

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am
Profile WWW

badboy wrote:
dj_craig wrote:
W

This coming spring will be our third Goth Prom. They are kind of like the prom that you would have wanted. Take a look for yourself, they were pretty frick'n cool.

Great shots. I have heard good things about hard mondays. can i ask as i am oblivious to this answer. do they get many straights at the saloon? I just figured it was only for gays. Pardon my lack of openness but i have never gone and am not gay so i don't hang out there or have ever been to the club. walked by

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:45 am

everywhere that I have been a part of this subculture it has been nurtured in part (sometimes in large part) by local gay clubs and bars. going into a gay bar won't make you gay. for decades gay bars have been a good place to wave one's freak flag. if you're not afraid of eyeliner and pvc, I can't see why you should be afraid of people admiring you in them... and that's where the music is. yes, there are women there who like men in eyeliner too.

frankly, I have no idea what percentage of the crowd at the Saloon is queer, Monday or any other night. it's possible that if someone there thinks you're a cutie he or she will hit on you. I expect all you'd have to say is "no thanks."

by which I mean, "come on in." myself, I've only been there on Mondays.

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:36 am
Profile WWW

alisgray brings up good points about it not really mattering. But to answer your question I would say on the dance bar side it's probably 60-80% strait depending on the week. Through out the whole place I would say it's probably 50-70% strait on a given Monday. (Mondays have more straits then any other night there.)

Playlists

Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:44 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks, that really helps. I hope you can understand where i am coming from. I do not go to gay bars as like i said i am not gay. I don't go to country bars cause i hate country etc.... People put you in a category based on your appearance sometimes and it sucks but that is human nature. I wear nailpolish and eyeliner alot and even one girl at a shoe store asked me if people thought i was gay cause i painted my nails. Just a stupid question on her part and none of her business. I got married in a kilt and alot of people said "oh , are you scottish?" what would people have said if i replied "No, i just like wearing skirts". It would put them out of a comfort zone. this is one thing I LOVE about goths. Even though I don't know many they seem so open to new things especially fashion. It always looks to be a one up kind of thing for people. How Original can you be and that is what I am all about but seldom get to do it.
Who would I talk to about playing HArd Mondays at the Saloon?

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:20 pm

badboy wrote:
I'm 37

i feel young again (still 14)

Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:35 pm
Profile YIM

Who would I talk to about playing HArd Mondays at the Saloon?

Give me an email:

dj_craig23@hotmail.com

Playlists

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:19 pm
Profile WWW

well, I hope you do feel welcome and show up. I don't think you'd be remotely out of place. that's all.

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:57 pm
Profile WWW

i will try very hard to make a show sometime but living 150 miles from the saloon makes things difficult. the goth prom thing is very cool!! I just got a PVC kilt in the mail!! Unfortunately weekdays are the worst for me and with one daughter in school and my wife leaving for work at 6am it makes it VERY tough. I do arrange tours of industrial/synth acts now and again and might just try and put an act there. then i HAVE to go (business ya know)!!!
I forgot to mention in my introduction that I dabble in electronic music as a booking agent/promoter. very small time.

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:37 pm

badboy wrote:
Were you one of the guys that showed up early before we even loaded in and was waiting outside for the EG? I remember a couple guys that looked about 20 that were dressed all in black. these guys were dancing quite a bit too.
yes the local folk did not dance. I thought though that the high school girls that were there did a pretty good job of having fun and dancing. We all danced in a circle. one of the girls babysits our kids and her dad sponsored the show.

Those younger guys in black had actually driven in from Chicago for that show!! Now THAT is friggin hardcore.
I was the scrawny older dude (with pointy beard & glasses, without glowsticks!!!) in the corner, being careful not to stomp on any cowpies, or that circle of girls =)

My "Goth Prom" suggestion refers to the annual event being worth a couple-hour drive; pretty much everybody shows up for that, and most are decked-out to the hilt. Ground Zero's annual "Rubber Ball" and "Masquerade"(Halloween) also have considerably larger and weirder draws than the usual weeknights. (You'd probably be disappointed to drive all that way on a regular weeknight when only a couple dozen other people showed up, hence my suggestion to venture out for a special event sometime.)

And no need to worry about the Saloon on Mondays; it's "all-orientations friendly"-- not what you're probably envisioning when you hear "gay bar". On most nights it's predominantly shirtless boys writhing to diva-rave music, but on Mondays the proportion of people who are there for the darksider music is probably between 4:1 and 10:1. Personally, I've never been hit-on or anything (is my "straightness" that obvious, or am I just ugly? don't answer that!!)

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:57 pm

Post rskm
you had mentioned "face the music". Did they move or something? I use to go there all the time when I was dating my wife. I would come out of that place so pissed off sometimes to the point of where I said about 5 years ago "I will NEVER go into that place again EVER!!" and I never did. I didn't like Broadway records much better although I did like their indie stance but it was more rock.
My thoughts with Rochester is that out of a town of 80000 people there have got to be 100 people that would support a goth/electro night? Am I right? How would you reach these people? throw in the gothling bus and we should be able to have a successful "goth prom". I am going to plan to get together with DJ dave the weekend of christmas to talk about his plans etc... You wanna meet with some other electro fans in the area and have a few beers ?

Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:52 pm

Post Re: rskm
badboy wrote:
you had mentioned "face the music". Did they move or something? I use to go there all the time when I was dating my wife. I would come out of that place so pissed off sometimes to the point of where I said about 5 years ago "I will NEVER go into that place again EVER!!" and I never did. I didn't like Broadway records much better although I did like their indie stance but it was more rock.
My thoughts with Rochester is that out of a town of 80000 people there have got to be 100 people that would support a goth/electro night? Am I right? How would you reach these people? throw in the gothling bus and we should be able to have a successful "goth prom". I am going to plan to get together with DJ dave the weekend of christmas to talk about his plans etc... You wanna meet with some other electro fans in the area and have a few beers ?

Face the Music closed over a year ago. I got a Cult tape, a Skinny Puppy shirt, and a Dead Milkmen shirt at the closing sale.

Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:46 am
Profile WWW

badboy wrote:
I didn't like Broadway records much better although I did like their indie stance but it was more rock.

Broadway Records was my favoritest music store ever. They couldn't compete with a metro-area outfit like Cheapo, obviously, but they actually had SEPARATE SECTIONS for "Industrial" and "Techo" discs. Of course, once internet commerce took off, the whole "music store" concept became rather outmoded.

badboy wrote:
My thoughts with Rochester is that out of a town of 80000 people there have got to be 100 people that would support a goth/electro night? Am I right?

You'd think so... but it'd be a tough row to hoe. I mean, look at the population of Mpls/St.Paul, and how places with established "regular crowds" and advertising budgets are struggling for survival. There are enough over-21 music/bar fans out there, but finding them is problematic.

badboy wrote:
I am going to plan to get together with DJ dave the weekend of christmas to talk about his plans etc... You wanna meet with some other electro fans in the area and have a few beers ?

Hellyeah, count me in. I'll probably be stuck in town working X-mas weekend anyway.
Does DJ Dave spin at Ultra Lounge on Monday nights? That (and Thursday "drag night" with 80's music) are the only non-hiphop nights, so I was planning to check 'em out before the owner switches them to hip-hop due to low turnout.

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:32 pm

rskm1 wrote:
Hellyeah, count me in. I'll probably be stuck in town working X-mas weekend anyway.
Does DJ Dave spin at Ultra Lounge on Monday nights? That (and Thursday "drag night" with 80's music) are the only non-hiphop nights, so I was planning to check 'em out before the owner switches them to hip-hop due to low turnout.

I thought Ground Zero was booming?

I do not know what is going on with Ultra lounge. YES DJ dave did the spinning on Mondays and was responsible for the drag show i think. he was more or less booking everything but no longer works there. He and some friends are looking at buying the place and will no doubt not let it turn into yet another hip hop clone club.
I will PM you the when and where in a week or two. It will have to be Friday night (the 23rd) probably late as We are getting together with friends early in the evening out in the NW part of Roch. My inlaws live in the SE part of town out by lincoln school / menards / aquarius area.

Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:31 pm

Yo Trace, good to see you here. This is David, ex of Avenpitch saying howdy! Y'all should get down here for a dance night, you'd have a good time.

Sounds like all is going well for you! Are you responsible for getting Moulin Noir back here in early 06? If so, good work!

Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:53 am
Profile WWW

Post moulin noir
Hey dave, good to hear from you. going to miss you in AP.

Yes and no about Moulin Noir. Brooke from Telephone turned me on to APTH and Shannon Blowtorch did all the legwork there. I can take little credit , they are the ones that deserve that.

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:33 am

Haakon wrote:

If you ever need a dj for a night in Rochester, contact me. I was in talks with the Loveugly for a while about this, but then they told me they didn't think Rochester could support a night (even though they had multiple people bugging them repeatedly for one).

Haakon, If you want to join us on friday Dec. 23rd in the later evening let me know. somewhere in Rochester. so far there are going to be 4 of us possibly.

Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:29 pm

badboy wrote:
Haakon wrote:

Haakon, If you want to join us on friday Dec. 23rd in the later evening let me know. somewhere in Rochester. so far there are going to be 4 of us possibly.

I will probably have to speak to you via phone. I work that evening.

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:06 am
Profile WWW

Post goth prom in roch?
What kind of #'s of goths are there in Roch? Is it fun enough and unique enough for MPLS people to come down ? It is a 1.5 hour drive.

Venues are the tough part in Roch. If you are not a sports bar or rock/country/hip hop you are shunned. Which is pretty much the scenario everywhere (in outstate MN) if you ask me. We are doing a goth/electro night with Three DJs and two live acts in Mankato next month. It will be unique I think for that town. They say there are electro fans and goths there. They do have a Hot Topic and all the employees I have talked to are pumped. Too bad we can't do an all ages show. Need that liquor income for the venue!!! Kids are fickle too sad to say.

Getting back to the part about venues in Roch. I think the best thing would be if DJ Dave and his friends can get the Ultra Lounge bought. That will take some time.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:55 am

Is it fun enough and unique enough for MPLS people to come down ? It is a 1.5 hour drive.

I've driven to Madison a couple of times for events that were unique and fun enough. The trick is having somewhere to crash, and not having to work early the next day. Also, of course, Word Has to Go Out.

Roadtrips are fun.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Haha, heyo!!! I'm Ariel and i live in a hick county called STEARNS COUNTY!!! I used to live in Lakeville and then in Andover, but then we moved here. I absolutley love punk and metal. 2 best kinds of music. I like metal thats really industrial. KICK AZZ!!! Ok, anywho, i'm obviously new to this site, and being a goth, so if anyone could give me hints, tips, pointers, etc. it would be greatly appriciated! The realon i wanna be a goth is because my friends are all preps and i hate it when they tell me how to dress, and how to do my hair, and what shos to get. Its horrible, and i'm gettin sick of it. So i guess you could say i'm longing for something diffrent. Oh yeah, i'm 15 and in the 9th grade. So like i said before, if anyone could give me some advice that'd be awesome!!!

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:38 am

... i hate it when they tell me how to dress, and how to do my hair, and what shos to get.

... if anyone could give me some advice that'd be awesome!!!

Okay, I'm confused.
You want advice on that stuff, but you hate advice on that stuff?

If you want advice, here's mine: You're 15. This is the time period in your life where you're figuring out who&what you are. Most people your age take a big step toward that goal by rejecting what their parents want them to be. But simply following someone ELSE'S identity model is just a lame-ass substitute for your parents'.

So, try a few things out. See which ones you like. Don't limit yourself to a single stupid label (be it "prep", or "Juggalo", OR "goth"). At the very least, combine a couple different elements you like, and make something of your own. It'll be more rewarding in the long run.

You should probably start your own thread for this, though...

Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:51 pm

i think i know what she means. The "norm" expects everyone to dress the same. Ever been to walmart and watched the people there? Jeans, shirt, white tennis shoes, maybe a ball cap and for sure camoflage. If you step outside this norm you are setting yourself up to be stared at and ridiculed. I wish I could sit and make fun of the way the "norm" dresses cause it is so boring and devoid of any consious thought. Heck, I am so sick of fighting this that I do the ol boring routine of dressing like everyone else too.
I think Ariel is asking for help dressing unique. like a goth or something. The cool thing for you ariel is that you are a girl. you can get away with anything. Being 15 limits the events you can get into but be on the lookout for goth events that are all ages and don't be afraid to get some friends and come down to the cities for an evening. St. cloud is only 45 minutes. I am not from there but I am doing a tour this winter throughout the midwest and NE and see venues all over that will let in minors.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:56 pm

Post Goth prom
I really like this idea!! I am having my first show in Mankato on 1/12/06. The booking guy said that if this night is a success that he will be up for some theme nights. The first night is not a specific "theme" night but that is not to say it can't be about spectacle!!! The two live acts we have lined up know a thing or two about "unique". www.moulin-noir.com
www.runlevelzero.com

check out my post under "event planning"

hope some of you can make it. I know the Mankato show is a week night but so is bondage at GZ. Does anyone Road trip anymore?

Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]