View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Hey hi, hello from just another Radiohead cover band 

Post Hey hi, hello from just another Radiohead cover band
Remember me? I'm the one who never made an impression on you!

Anyhow, we're here cuz the site rocks and we hope to make some new friends.

Special shout-out and thanks to Matt for his assistance in the past helping us promote our shows.

It's all up-hill from here, so...cheers!

What's That? (a Radiohead Proejct)

Last edited by What's That? (a Radiohead on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:00 am
Profile WWW

Arrest this man
He talks in maths
He buzzes like a fridge
Hes like a de-tuned radio

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:04 am

Karma police
Arrest this man
He talks in maths
He buzzes like a fridge
Hes like a de-tuned radio

Devil poster
Implore this man
His picture's scary
He posts lyrics well though
He's like a re-combed hairdo

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:07 am
Profile WWW

when you mess with us.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:40 am

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:39 am

I thought cover bands were just for played out bands that suck
Oh well, I guess this means you won't have to be so dissapointed when your real music doesn't take off

Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:00 am
Profile WWW

Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:48 am
Profile YIM WWW

Oh well, I guess this means you won't have to be so dissapointed when your real music doesn't take off

Cover bands are a great way to make MONEY! You should try it sometime, especially if you're unemployed. Just ask your old singer from Autonomy.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:58 pm
Profile WWW

Rockula! wrote:

Cover bands are a great way to make MONEY! You should try it sometime, especially if you're unemployed. Just ask your old singer from Autonomy.

It's how I make my living, anyhow. Have cleared about 40K/year doing so. Not sure what I'd make if I was playing my own music. I liscense that stuff instead. Pays better.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:08 pm
Profile WWW

that k stands for "cents," right?

Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW

To all (or any) who question the motivation or sincerity (or whatever) of how I/we choose to make a living, especially in regards to "What's That? (a Radiohead Project)," here's something you don't even have to read to understand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXIq9U49dLU

To Rockula! and his assumptions and concerns, believe me, dude - we don't feel like we're surrendereing our identities in this band! Maybe we're in denial, but by playing Radiohead, everyone has grown tremendously as musicians and people. We do not mean, or hope, to be copycats (however the Rush band is a completely different story - in that group, we play everything exactly like it is on the record, mostly because it seems to be...idunno...the "only" way to play it, maybe?). Remember: I play keys in both groups.

Regarding your concern that we ought to be spending our time looking for something new, guess what assuming does to you? :-) Me, I'm doing everything I can to avoid a day job by working in music. I'm constantly looking for new stuff. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be able to make a living at it.

Also, about your concern that we should be spending our time "trying to be like Radiohead," again you're assuming a lot. How do you know we aren't? Me, I'm developing my abilities as a businessman, a band leader, a manager, a composer, an arranger, an improviser, a booking agent and a writer through this project. Yes, I still need an editor :-)

Regarding your assumtion (dude, you gotta quit that shit) that we "should be able to come up with intersting stuff of your own," how do you know we haven't? Here's some stuff I've done that is, I think, potentially interesting: http://www.musicindustrybook.net/profil ... iegenhagen

About your concern that we haven't listed any of our other "real bands" on our site , this is not because they don't exist. It's because we don't want this site to be as much about us as about the fans - the people who enjoy Radioihead as much as we do. We're just like them, we think. We just happen to play instruments is all.

NOW! If you want to talk about a total waste of time and energy, this post was ABSOLUTELY THAT!

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:37 am
Profile WWW

Also, about your concern that we should be spending our time "trying to be like Radiohead,"

Plus, for every Rockula! that thinks "sounding like Radiohead"(without covering them) is somehow a <i>good</i> idea, there are two dozen music critics ready to ream you a new one and dismiss you offhand, if you actually did that!
You ain't gonna make everybody happy; that'd be a ridiculous goal. Luckily, having a viable income is a reasonably good measure of success.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:02 am

Are you kidding? One of the most fun conversations we've had in a while.

So can you guys play "Just?"

I love that song.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:04 am

Are you kidding? One of the most fun conversations we've had in a while.

Hoorah then!

devil wrote:
So can you guys play "Just?"

I love that song.

That song loves you (even though you're a devil), but not as much as "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" does! (read here to find out why: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Spirit_(Fade_Out)

Meanwhile, yeah, y'know what? "Just" was on our list to learn, but we ended up tackling You, Fake Plastic Trees, Black Star, & Iron Lung instead. I don't remember exactly why. After we'd done that, we had to learn some B-sides (enter Cuttooth, Polyethelene & Talk Show Host). Then, we realized we needed more "up tempo" tunes, so we added some of that stuff. Finally, at the point where we were talking about adding a new song every rehearsal, we realized we just needed to play everything more to get it tighter and take it in new directions.

I'll tellya this though fersure: when it comes time to add some more older material (Pablo/Bends), "Just" will be first on the list. Bigtime.

Last edited by What's That? (a Radiohead on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:18 am
Profile WWW

I realised that I should not have made those statements in a forum that was more personal
My arguments on the subject belong in the other forum, in this one it just seems like a personal attack
so, I will listen to your music and respond in this forum
http://www.darktwincities.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6018

I try so hard not to criticize the person but their actions have a detrimental affect on my life as an artist so I feel like I have the right to respond to them
In other words, I don't have a problem with you, just with what you do

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:16 pm
Profile WWW

I noticed the CP did a write-up about you guys this week, coincidentally (or not?). Did you like what they wrote about you?

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:57 pm
Profile WWW

Hey, if anybody really really likes the real thing, http://www.woot.com deal for today (2009-Feb-7, good till midnight) is the 7-disc "Radiohead Limited Edition Box Set" for 40 bucks + 5 shipping. (* Pablo Honey * The Bends * OK Computer * Kid A * Amnesiac * I Might Be Wrong * Hail to the Thief)

Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:49 am

Not criticizing the project per se, just sharing what I consider to be important information:

If you are in the creative arts for money, or as an alternative to a "real job," prepare to be crushed.

I spent at least a decade each as a professional musician and a professional comedian. I have over 40 appearances as a panelist on Mental Engineering. I've been quoted in the New York Times, seen in an ABC news segment, and have performed all over the U.S. and Canada, including obscure joints like the LA Improv.

And I am a failure. $30 or $40K may sound good now, but how much can you save from that for when you're in your 40s? What happens if you decide to settle down and have kids? What happens when you realize you need health insurance? Are you aware of how expensive going on the road really is? (At least in comedy, you get a room and sometimes meals and even a bar tab. Music is more brutal.)

In music, you split the check at least three ways. As many as six.

Also, you do realize that making music for a living is probably the most competition-heavy profession you can get into, right? Everyone wants to do it. At least in comedy, most people piss their pants just thinking about trying it.

Have you ever wondered why those old warhorse bands who were huge are still playing in tiny clubs for a couple bucks admission? A lot of those guys, no matter how big, go broke again. I once headlined a bar in Nowhere Idaho on a Saturday. The Saturday afterward was Blue Oyster Cult. They charged more to see me than to see BOC.

I've worked two jobs on top of performing at times, and still barely kept afloat.

Do it for the sex. Do it for the fame and/or notoriety. Do it for the respect of your peers. Do it for the drugs. Do it for love.

But don't kid yourself into doing it for the money. The money is in the industry, not the art.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:21 pm
Profile WWW

I am 40 and I have no illusions about my future
I am looking forward to the continuation of the "miserable" life that I have to face
All of those things that you point out as negative I see as positive
Starving, exhausted on the road playing for 20 people a night, 200 nights out of the year
I have no plans for a family, no need for anythnng monetary except a 1 bedroom apoartment and a van that makes it through the next tour
I do not have any illusions about the fame or noteriety because I am making music that counts instead of counting bar tabs and door recipts
I will die early from lack health insurance but I know that every last minute of my life was spent cramming as much experience into my days as possible

As far as the aging rockers who keep holding on
Yeah, it is partly due to money but it has a lot to do with the fact that these people lived the fairytale for so long that they cannot let go
These people were treated in many ways above normal society and cannot deal with being an ordinary human again
The rock n roll fairytale exacts a great toll on those who believe in it weather they make it or not

Your ciricism of the person making the original posting does not apply
This guy is a highly quallified jobber with enough credentials to play other people's music for the rest of his life
I highly doubt he will ever wonder if there's any work out there

p.s., click on the link from my last post and you can continue the argument in that thread
There's way more juicy conflict there
Besides, I don't think you will be hearing from the original author on this board anymore
He e-mailed me personally and told me what I prick I was and how I ran him off the board
I asked him to stay because I thought he still had a lot of experience and knowledge to impart to the board
Looks like he declined

Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:45 pm
Profile WWW

Boo-fuckin'-hoo.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:48 am

Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]