View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 New to the Twin Cities 

Post New to the Twin Cities
Hi

My name is Fragg, I just moved here from Alaska... I am looking to get into the local music scene, can anyone reccomend great local bands to go see? Where the best clubs are? i am into industrial, metal and some rock... Hope to meet some of you soon.

thanks.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:51 pm

Post Re: New to the Twin Cities
go see thosquanta as soon as they are up and running again. Also, Thought Thieves, APOX, and Kontrol Panel.

Welcome to the DTC.

Wanna buy my furniture?

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:58 pm
Profile YIM

Welcome to DTC!

Our list needs updating, but you can find some local bands here: http://www.darktwincities.com/bands.php

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:03 pm

fraggink wrote:
great local bands to go see? Where the best clubs are? i am into industrial, metal and some rock...
Industrial-wise, the bands that immediately spring to mind are:
- Amdeide (moved away *cry*)
- Envy Is Blind (defunct *sad*)
- Heliosphere (givin' their latest album away online!)
- Souless Affection (new album coming 9/1 I think?)
- OBCT (CD release party this Saturday)

Club-wise, here ya go. The core industrial(etc) nights are:
- 2nd Monday of the month is "Harder Mondays" at Saloon (9th+Hennepin Ave downtown)
- Thursday nights is "Chamber" at Bolt Underground (5th+Washington downtown)
- Saturday nights is "Bondage-a-Go-Go" at Ground Zero (4th St, warehouse district, across the river from downtown)

(And Fridays at Ground Zero are usually something, but it varies wildly week-to-week.)

Keep an eye on the Event Horizon sub-forum for concerts and club nights and other schtuff.

So... what were you doing in Alaska??

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:43 pm

there is also a huge local metal scene. they tend to be pretty cool kids, too.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW

We also have 2 radio shows

Locust Lecture on Radio K
http://radiok.cce.umn.edu/programming/locustlecture/

&

Across The Board on KFAI
http://www.kfai.org/acrosstheboard

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:22 am
Profile WWW

What about synthpop and/or darkwave? Any ethereal or old school nights, or is it mostly current industrial and powernoize and such?

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:48 pm

Nheeh wrote:
What about synthpop and/or darkwave? Any ethereal or old school nights, or is it mostly current industrial and powernoize and such?

Hard Mondays on regular Mondays, Chamber and Bondage-a-go-go should give you plenty.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:57 pm

Nheeh wrote:

it's (almost) all crappy EBM and darkwave disco stuff. almost no oldschool, excepting the 15-20% of Transmission (an 80's night) that covers goth.

Harder Monday is supposed to be more contemp industrial and powernoise- haven't made it to one yet, so I can't vouch for it.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:10 pm
Profile YIM

AHA!, personally, I say almost too much oldschool in general. I mean, the dj should be playing the freshest music for the most part pushing the new sounds and styles. I realize that some people want to hear the familiar stuff too and I still hear songs a decade or older being played often. If you want something played, why not ask the dj? Yes, the djs here play requests! Welcome to Minnesota! Enjoy

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:27 pm

How it breaks down musically:

1) No one here plays powernoise. No one ever has and no one ever did. On rare occasions they'd get wiley down at Corrosion (but that was over 5 years ago).

2)Hard Mondays -- it really depends on the mood, but it'll be a mix of trancie and gayfriendly stuff. Harder mondays (second monday) is a tad bit harsher.

3)Chamber -- you generally won't hear anything that's been released within the past 3-4 years, unless it's electro.

4)Bondage-a-go-go -- plays a mix of 80s music you've heard to much of, a tad bit of trance, your "old school" industrial hits (typically either NWO, BS&Q or Tin Omen), lots of electro, and maybe a vnv nation track. Come to think of it, they play exactly what Drok seems to want to hear.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:21 pm
Profile WWW

drok wrote:
Nheeh wrote:

it's (almost) all crappy EBM and darkwave disco stuff. almost no oldschool, excepting the 15-20% of Transmission (an 80's night) that covers goth.

Please stop calling shitty trance EBM.

I'm not sure what you consider old school. But a bulk of what's played on all 3 nights was released before 2001.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:27 pm
Profile WWW

LOL @ "shitty trance".

and, "old school" as in first wave of goth, death rock, horror rock. Damned, Misfits, Siouxie, et. al.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:30 pm
Profile YIM

drok wrote:
LOL @ "shitty trance".

and, "old school" as in first wave of goth, death rock, horror rock. Damned, Misfits, Siouxie, et. al.

Ah! I know for sure no one plays the misfits. But it's not uncommon to hear Siouxie and Bauhaus (I assume it's requests).

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:00 pm
Profile WWW

Liighter wrote:
drok wrote:
LOL @ "shitty trance".

Ah! I know for sure no one plays the misfits. But it's not uncommon to hear Siouxie and Bauhaus (I assume it's requests).

Siouxie before the crappy hits? Juju? The Scream?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:22 am
Profile YIM

drok wrote:
Siouxie before the crappy hits? Juju? The Scream?
Typically "Killing Jar", "Happy House", or "Peek-a-Boo". Hopefully that answers your question, since I'm not a big enough fan to go research the whole Siouxsie timeline.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:17 pm

"Peek-a-Boo" makes me want to climb into the DJ booth and sodomize them with a old rusty Volkswagon.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:08 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]