View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ] 
 Arriving in June 

Post Arriving in June
Hello,

I'll be heading to Minneapolis in June; I'm moving from Albuquerque. I was wondering if there are any basics I need to know about finding the darker things to do down there.

Basics about me:

I'm 38, male. I work as a writer full time and am always looking for new things along those lines, provided they pay. I'm a copywriter/research writer, so I'm not pretending to be a creative writer. When I write fiction it's generally not all that interesting but I love reading horror fiction.

I'm more of a coffee house type than a club fan. I dance horribly and am not enough of a sadist to subject others to it, though I am something of a sadist otherwise.

Anyway, I guess the most obvious question would be where are the cool places to live in town? I like rents that are affordable, but don't really care enough about being trendy to live in a crime-ridden area. I'm close enough at the moment to check some places out, so any tips would be much appreciated.

I'll check the boards because I know some of these questions will be redundant. I mostly just wanted to say hi.

Gracias!
Marquis <----it's my real name, pretentious as that may be.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:09 am

Post Re: Arriving in June
nordeast is cool. lotta bars, close to venues (including ground zero) and cheap.

welcome!

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:27 am
Profile YIM WWW

Much appreciated! I'll take a look around there, then.

Thanks!

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:32 am

Lots of good areas to live, Northeast is the "up and coming" neighborhood for the artsy types, I work in NE and like it a lot.

I live near Lake and Lyndale (Lyn-Lake neighborhood) and it's very good too, close to a lot of cool places, restaurants, shops, the lakes.

Hope you like it here, it's pretty cool.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks zom-zom! I'm looking forward to it, for sure. It's certainly a beautiful city.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:40 am

How funny! I moved here from ABQ roughly ten years ago now. Have scarcely looked back, but then I had no family there... ymmv.

What part of Albuquerque are you leaving? I have yet to find a part of the Twin Cities that is as ... rugged? and crack-ridden as either the South Valley or the area around UNM. In any case, welcome.

Also, if you are not reliant on the public transit system (which seems likely coming from there) consider the western side fo St Paul. You get more for your renting dollar. Frogtown has a less than savory rep around here but comparatively speaking isn't that unsafe, and it's darn cheap. I avoid North Minneapolis and advise you to also. (Nordeast is not the same as North.)

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:35 am
Profile WWW

alisgray wrote:
I avoid North Minneapolis and advise you to also. (Nordeast is not the same as North.)

I live in North Minneapolis... it ain't so bad.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:03 pm

Thanks, Allis!

I get the idea that Minneapolis is pretty mellow compared to Albuquerque. I lived on Central and Louisiana for a long time. I also lived in Espanola for a bit, so I'm not really shocked by much anymore. I was wondering about St. Paul; I saw that a lot of the rentals there were cheaper and I have a car, so getting around isn't a problem. Is St. Paul sketchy at all?

Thanks again!

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:48 am

I spelled your name wrong, btw. Sorry about that.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:48 am

welcome to DTC, marquis the sadist.
st. paul all-around isn't bad. i don't live there but i spend more time there than minneapolis since it's closer. about the only places you might want to avoid are "frogtown" and the east side (the east side is not horrible, but it does tend to make it into the news a little more often). otherwise, it's rather nice i think.
i supposed you could say st. paul is the introverted twin of the two cities.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:11 pm

st paul is minneapolis for old people.

surprised zom isn't there.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Dude, don't you live in Hilltop or something?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:19 pm

you mean that hourly hotel?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Welcome!

So how do you pronounce your name; like "Marcus", or more French?
I lived in the St. Paul Cathedral Hill area during college, which had a handful of great bars to walk to. Party down in Mpls and come home to St. Paul, I say.
The Stevens and Powderhorn Park neighborhoods of Mpls are also nice; unless you're xenophobic.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm
Profile WWW

Lol, this is cool, it seems like just about everywhere is fine compared to where I'm used to, so that works out great.

Thanks for all the advice. I guess it just comes down to finding a cool pad, then.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:16 am

The funny thing about the "Twin Cities" is that many "Twin Citians" aren't into crossover. The St. Paul people typically hang out in St. Paul and the Minneapolitans whine when an event is "all the way in St. Paul" (yeah, they're right next to one another). Of the two I'd say Minneapolis is decidedly more popular and has more to offer. But if you DO opt for St. Paul, I concur with the advice regarding staying the hell away from the east side. The immediate suburbs surrounding the cities aren't bad at all, either so don't limit yourself given that you have transportation.

I'm not much into coffee, I'm more of a rabid liquor fanatic but it would be cool to hook up once you get settled in. It's been a while since I've planned out a gathering of the Darksiders, and people have recently been clamoring for another Electropussy event. It might happen soon as long as it's warming up.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:03 pm

electropussy without vagina face? i dunno, man...

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW

What's Electropussy?

What's South St. Paul like? I'm sure I'll roam around a lot, so I guess I don't really have a preference as to which of the cities I actually live in. I work from home, so commuting isn't an issue.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:52 pm

electropussy is where we all meet up and drink ourselves stupid.

in the past, its been usually at the cc club, which is a lovely little dive bar that smells like pee.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW

el_lechero wrote:
What's South St. Paul like?
It's a quiet little berg, not much for nightlife. It's a half-hour drive to Minneapolis, but that's not necessary often since its neighbor, West St Paul, has every major retail and restaurant chain you can think of. The name's a bit misleading; it has no affiliation with St Paul (not even in the same county). It's like the newer suburbs in that a lot of the houses share common design elements, but they were mostly built in the 1920's.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Sweet! Thanks for all the info, everyone.

Now, to find an apartment.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Any info on this area?

loc: 2810 Pleasant Ave S Minneapolis MN US

It'll Google ya there.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:42 pm

My impression of the particular location is not particularly positive, but it may be better than it was a few years ago. It was a fine area through most of the '80s, and like several other inner-city neighborhoods it declined but does seem to be on the way up again, meaning probably less crime and rundown housing. It's very close to a lot of cool places though, Bob's Java Hut, Eye of Horus Books, many coffee shops, Bryant Lake Bowl which is an old bowling alley that was updated a bit with a good kitchen, great bar, good food, theater and shows etc.
So you would be in easy walking distance of a bunch of coffeeshops, restaurants, Lyndale Ave. which is a major street as well as Nicollet.

I lived in this general area since 1981 and have never had any problems.. It is getting better too I think. I bought a house in the vicinity 20 years ago and I still really like it around here. You would be a bit South and East but in general, this area of South is pretty diverse, clean, interesting. I haven't rented for a long time so I don't know what a good rate is but I'm sure there are some renters here.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Cool! I kind of like things a little weird so at least I blend in. Suburbanites frighten me.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:41 am

You'll also be within walking distance to the lakes, there is a major bike trail about one block away, groceries, pretty central and great location actually.

Suburbanites like to congregate at some shitty bars on weekends in Uptown, near Lake and Hennepin. Avoid.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:03 am

Ah yeah, not a problem. I really don't like bars very much. I think I actually remember some of the so-bland-it-hurts bars from 20 years ago. I'm good at detecting them. You just have to be sharp for the smell of too much body spray and bland-looking women dancing awkwardly to terrible music.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:48 pm

yeah, i second zom-zom on the bars down there. you don't even need to get out of your car to know that there's too much body spray in there. cheapos is down there (huge used and new music/movie store) and there and the lagoon theatre always has some of the more artsy films or documentaries that rarely show up in the more hollywood major release theatres.
magers and quinn is also a really good bookstore down that way as well.

also, some of the 1st ring "suburban" areas like rskm1 pointed out are mainly just places that, due to urban sprawl, still seem like the city, so don't shoot them down just because they don't have the same name. as you get further and further out, yeah, it definitely gets like that - Woodbury would be the best example of the stereotypical cookie-cutter community i could think of. so, if suburbia truly frightens you, you might have nightmares about that place.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:07 pm

Nordeast Mineapolis is definitely pretty cool. I spend a lot of time there.

I like St. Paul a lot. I recommend St. Anthony Park, Mac-Groveland, and Highland Park on the West side of St. Paul. Lots of apartments in Highland Park and they are a bit cheaper than neighboring Mac-Groveland or Merriam Park because it's a little farther away from the small colleges with fewer student residents. Highland Park is quiet and close to the river, so if you're into physical activity on wheels or on foot, that's a really nice bonus and overall, I think there's a nice mix of people and income levels in the neighborhood. There's also good access to public transit and the airport from Highland Park. I'd totally move back there some day.

I'd say avoid the area around Snelling and University. A little farther West on University in St. Anthony Park is nice, but they're putting in light rail on University Ave, so that's going to be a mess for a while (looking forward to that being done and operational).

Como Park is also worth considering.

Some parts of the East Side are kind of icky. Other parts of the East Side are nice. For example, area around Phalen Park can be nice, but the park itself does have issues sometimes. So you'd want to check things out in person if you consider that area. Generally, the areas starting north of Maryland or Wheelock Parkway are where things get nicer.

Oh and Lowertown St. Paul is kind of cool. The Farmers' Market is down there and some cool restaurants. It's also somewhat artsy...I think there's an art crawl down there this weekend even. I am not sure how expensive it is to live down there. I know there are some "luxury condos" but it's also an up and coming part of town.

11/12 Clan of Xymox, The Bellwether Syndicate, Autumn and DJ Paul Robb

Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:21 pm
Profile WWW

Anyone know about the area around the Spyhouse Coffee Shop on Nicolet? I'm Google Street Viewing it, but I can't really tell if the buildings around 2500 are shitty or not.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:22 pm

el_lechero wrote:
Anyone know about the area around the Spyhouse Coffee Shop on Nicolet? I'm Google Street Viewing it, but I can't really tell if the buildings around 2500 are shitty or not.

It's very near the Minnesota Institute of Art and Minneapolis College of Art and Design. Some dumps, some halfway houses and some nice places.. it can be dodgy but it's near some very cool places. You'd have to check out individual buildings.. it's very mixed as far as housing goes. Not a terrible location though.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:30 pm

yeah, the building I was looking at seemed like it was a big dingy. It's hard to tell from a pic, but it seemed that way from what I saw.

Thanks!

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:46 pm

It'll still be tame compared to ABQ, but it is considered a "rougher" neighborhood (which makes it a good bit more affordable.) Lots of public transit, quite close to gentrifying Uptown as well as Downtown night life. I had a few friends who were in grad school who lived in that neighborhood. Actually, you might know one of them -- commonly known as Ferrous Oxide, who also lived in ABQ for years and knew the goth scene there better than I did by far. She's moved off to Atlanta by now though.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:05 pm
Profile WWW

I'm going to head down the weekend of the 9th to check out some places and just drive around a bit and explore. Are there any clubs or anything going on where might run into people? I prefer deathrock to industrial and don't like metal. Is there any hot coffee house action I should check out?

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:24 pm

I didn't know Mr. Oxide. Are you the same person who helps organize the coffee meetups? I need to check one of those out but it probably won't be until I move in June. Anyway, I'm going to check out Ground Zero over the weekend, I think, unless there are coffee shop things to do.

Sun May 01, 2011 7:14 pm

el_lechero wrote:
I didn't know Mr. Oxide. Are you the same person who helps organize the coffee meetups? I need to check one of those out but it probably won't be until I move in June. Anyway, I'm going to check out Ground Zero over the weekend, I think, unless there are coffee shop things to do.

FeO is a chick, actually. And yes, petey and I are the brawn behind the Elysium Society. Very perceptive, sir.

Wed May 04, 2011 1:05 am
Profile WWW

Cool! I just joined the FB group for the Elysium Society, too. If anything's going on over the weekend, let me know on there. I'm El Lechero on there, as well.

I think I'm just going to end up driving around looking for places that seem good. I'm getting pretty interested in St Paul, too, because the rents seem more reasonable and I have a car, so it's not all that important that I'm close to anything.

Did FeO go by Wyvern something at any time? I might know who you're talking about if that's who it is, but I only met her like once at a movie night.

Wed May 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Yeah, that's probably her (Griffin is probably what you heard.)

So, are you looking forward to deep snow? That and the unnerving quantity of blond children are the things I found most odd to adjust to here...

Thu May 05, 2011 11:11 am
Profile WWW

That's what it was, yeah. I think I saw her one night and I remember her from the message boards back in the day.

I'm in northern WI right now--it's where my parents live, for some reason--and I'm a bit freaked out by the monochromatic nature of it all. Lots of little blonde children running around; they remind me of that movie where they took over that village and all had bowl haircuts.

Thu May 05, 2011 11:47 am

el_lechero wrote:
That's what it was, yeah. I think I saw her one night and I remember her from the message boards back in the day.

I'm in northern WI right now--it's where my parents live, for some reason--and I'm a bit freaked out by the monochromatic nature of it all. Lots of little blonde children running around; they remind me of that movie where they took over that village and all had bowl haircuts.

Where in WI? I lived in Spooner for many years. But yeah, it's very white... lots of German and Scandinavian settlers. I suppose if you went to NM it's mostly monochromatic with lots of little black-haired children. So it goes.

Fri May 06, 2011 8:47 am

el_lechero wrote:

If you are a coffee shop fan & love a huge variety of places to eat this is a perfect area. You can bike/walk to everything. But parking might be a pain at times in the winter.

Some buildings are on the dumpy side, but others are well maintained & fair.

NE area is a great place too, better deals on places to live (imo), cool places to hang out but not as condensed.

Fri May 06, 2011 3:02 pm

NORDEAST 4 LIFE!

Fri May 06, 2011 3:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Are you here now?

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]