View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Cider Brewing? 

Post Cider Brewing?
The price of this stuff is going thru the roof! You could get a 4 pack of Strong Bow for $7.29 2 years ago. Now it's $9.99 +. I've got buds that brew beer & wine, but no one that does cider.

Anyone here do this? Where can I find a good deal on raw pressed apple juice? What is a good yeast? I need to get TANKED!

Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Post Re: Cider Brewing?
i've got 2 gallons in the primary. pretty easy to do, but i haven't tried it yet...

just 1 cup suger + i cup brown sugar per gallon cider, bring to 180 F or so, dump in a bucket, cool down, throw in some champaign yest (about $.80 per pack at a brewery store)

Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Where did you get your juice? How $ per gallon?

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:12 pm

some apple farm near mankato, it was like $5/gal, i think.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:01 am
Profile YIM WWW

I need to get a cider press.. I have about 15 apple trees of several varieties. Never made it.. must try.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:32 pm

feel free to pass me and fisty some, then. we can turn it into boozomahol.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Probably a bit too late to harvest any this year but I'll see what's left in a couple of weeks.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:59 pm

awesome. i've got some grolsch bottles, so you can join me in the science experiment.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW

That would be awesome.. I've only made beer, and just one time. It turned out great though.

I want to start making wine and cider next year. Because when the shit goes down, I'll still need to have drinks.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:42 pm

yeah, next up for me is distilling.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I know you're some sort of Scientist or something, but don't drink the methanol.

I distilled some booze many years ago. It tasted horrible, but I made it out of fermented fruit salad.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:06 pm

apparently theres a bit of history in my family for moonshinin'.

quoth great grandpa spletter: "put some molasses in there, it'll give it some color"

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW

zom-zom wrote:
That would be awesome.. I've only made beer, and just one time. It turned out great though.

I want to start making wine and cider next year. Because when the shit goes down, I'll still need to have drinks.

Bingo!

Thanks for the tip Thos, I want to find this place in Mankato.

I was just looking at apple presses & brewing tools on amazon.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:30 pm

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/g ... 74895.html

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Build your own cider press: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yo ... Press.aspx

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:05 pm

I think I will check this out!:

http://www.minnetonkaorchards.com/index ... &Itemid=38

Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:35 pm

I've made cider a half dozen times with mixed results. Tip: Never make a mead-cider hybrid by mixing honey with the apple, you'll ruin both.

I gave a carboy to one of the apple farms at the farmers market with the agreement that he'd bring it back the next week filled. I think it was $25 so yeah, pretty close to $5/gallon.

If you want to gamble a bit and do cider with a traditional twist, go ahead and pitch the yeast, but don't boil it first. The boiling kills off the natural yeast which can take over and give you some real funky results, but you can also have awesome results doing the same thing. I've had both. If you skip pitching the yeast all together and let it ferment naturally, it will take longer and likely give you something less strong (champagne and cider yeast have a high alcohol tolerance), but you'll get a traditional hard cider. It certainly does not keep well. Even with refrigeration it will keep on fermenting and changing... not always for the better.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:25 pm

Yeah I've made really "cheap" cider a bunch of times by this formula:

Ingredients:
5 gallons of organic (read "no preservatives") apple juice. I've found the organic Gravenstein apple juice at Whole Foods to make GREAT tasting cider. Not cheap monetarily (at all!) but a quick and dirty way to end up with good tasting cider.
5 cups of white (granulated is ok.. what i used anyway and it worked) sugar. One cup per one gallon of juice.
1 packet of champagne yeast from a brewing store (One packet is perfect for 5 gallons of cider).
An "ale pail" with an "S" style airlock. You can get this at the same brewing store you got the yeast at.

Directions (oversimplified):
Put the juice, sugar and yeast in the Ale Pail and put the cover on.
Put the airlock through the hole in the lid of the Ale Pail with water in the dip of "S" so gas can escape but air doesn't get in.
Let it sit for about 2 1/2 weeks.

The last part is really the only part that requires any thinking at all, and really depends on if you expect it to look like the cider you buy at a store, or if you just want to get really drunk on some ~11% alc. by vol. apple nummyness. If you want to bottle it and save it or give it to people, or expect it to look and taste like the cider you buy in a store, you probably at this point want to strain it (several times) until it is clear, and then recarbonate it. I honestly have not tried to do this, but a LOT of other people around town have, so it shouldn't be too hard but YMMV. Then again, if you expect your cider to look like the cider you buy in a store (except Original Sin, which is made with something like the method Thosquanta described), you should really get a cider press and do it the more traditional way, which i have never done.

If you don't care about a little (safe) yeast, you can simply put it in old grolsch bottles or old whiskey bottles. I've found that adding 1/4" cup of sugar per liter of unstrained cider (like the amount in an old Jameson bottle..) gives you a nice champaign-type "bubbly" that makes the cider easy to drink, but the dregs are REALLY yeasty. If that bothers you, you want to do the strain/recarbonate thing. IMO, having it bubbly is generally enough for most people to drink enough to get (very) drunk without caring about the yeast, but some people are picky. *shrug*.

Anyway, once you've bottled it and let it sit out with the extra sugar in it for about 12 hours, stick it in the fridge. In my experimentation this has served to stop it from getting overcarbonated, but keeping it nice and bubbly. Drink it within a few weeks and you'll be happy.

Yes, I am aware that not boiling the cider first does leave in the natural yeast. I personally made maybe 5 or so 5 gallon batches of cider using the above method and never had one turn out badly unless i did something stupid (like not sealing the Ale Pail lid tightly enough on one batch), and some of my individual bottles went bad when the lids didn't seal tightly enough or i left them sitting too long.

In other words, this worked for me but, again, YMMV.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:16 am
Profile WWW

Great stuff to mull over here, I did make a 5 gal batch w/ champaign yeast, I've only sipped a bit sofar & it tastes pretty good! I hope to try out some of my buddies stuff to compare.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]