View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Portable power for street electronics question 

Post Portable power for street electronics question
http://www.duracellpower.com/backup-pow ... k-600.aspx

I want to power a Roland SPDS sampling pad and a small powered speaker
All of my other electronics have AA battery ports so I could pull off a performance without a lot of things to plug in
I would love to be able to take my video projector as well but the music would be fine for now
Could you DIY it by hooking up a couple of car batteries with power converters?

Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:44 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Portable power for street electronics question
I don't see why not, you could also use maybe instead some motorcycle or marine batteries which are smaller and lighter.

Back in high school I powered an 8mm movie projector outside using a car battery and an inverter that made 120v AC from 12v DC.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:54 am

zom-zom wrote:
...marine batteries which are smaller and lighter.

Deep cycle marine batteries. They will last longer and you can drain them further before charging. They're kinda pricy though.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:19 am

skywayman wrote:
zom-zom wrote:
...marine batteries which are smaller and lighter.

Deep cycle marine batteries. They will last longer and you can drain them further before charging. They're kinda pricy though.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:31 am

I think I need to get a powered amp like a Crate Taxi
Those things are supposed to run for a while on their own internal rechargable battery
That would take a lot of drain off the battery

After playing an acoustic drumkit on the sidewalk the other night, I am starting to think the PyroPlasticFlow concept will work better in public than in a club
It seems that people narrow their minds the moment they walk through the door of a venue
On the street, you can get away with so much more
Plus, I made way more in tips than I ever have at a club

Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:08 pm
Profile WWW

Rockula! wrote:
I think I need to get a powered amp like a Crate Taxi

Yeah, but then you'd be playing through a Crate. *shudders*

Rockula wrote:
I am starting to think the PyroPlasticFlow concept will work better in public than in a club... It seems that people narrow their minds the moment they walk through the door of a venue

That could be true and I bet your show would be cool on the street, however I don't agree that people narrow their minds magically somehow when they enter a venue. I think it is more accurate to say that people lower their expectations when seeing street performers compared to a show they paid to see in a venue. Maybe instead of lowering the expectations of your audience you should focus on raising your game. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. It's a thought.

~€~

~€ᵀᴴᴲᴿ~

commercial graphic artist, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist

BACK ALLEY: https://www.facebook.com/backalleysocial
CRUSH COLLECTIVE: http://www.facebook.com/crushmydesign

Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:47 pm
Profile WWW

Of course, part of that last statement has some bitterness to it
Your other statement has validity about expectations
But my initial statement about narrow-minded clubgoers is more of an observation
They are there to see a certain type of music due to the fact that lineups are genre specific out of neccesity
People on the street do not have such expectations

I would also like to point out that I made more money in one night on the sidewalk playing random drum patterns than I did with multiple gigs presenting a performance that I spent years refining

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:38 pm
Profile WWW

Rockula! wrote:
I would also like to point out that I made more money in one night on the sidewalk playing random drum patterns than I did with multiple gigs presenting a performance that I spent years refining
Betcha got laid less though.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:26 pm

Rockula! wrote:
They are there to see a certain type of music due to the fact that lineups are genre specific out of neccesity
People on the street do not have such expectations

I sometimes think we artists overthink this stuff. I often wonder whether people have expectations as much as we think they do, or if they are just checking it out and going with their gut as to whether they like what they hear or not.

I think the clear advantage of street performing is that you don't need to beg people to come inside, they are walking all around you. It enables you to push the glove in their face and force them to smell it.

~€~

~€ᵀᴴᴲᴿ~

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
After playing an acoustic drumkit on the sidewalk the other night, I am starting to think the PyroPlasticFlow concept will work better in public than in a club

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:45 am

Rockula! wrote:

I was reading this and it occurred to me that this only matters if what you are doing is designed to be defined by money. If the amount of money you make with a project is what determine's said project's validity to be, then yes- making money is paramount. Such is the case with the cover band I sing for. I define that band's success largely by whether or not it is making me stacks and stacks of folded green. If it is an original act in which you are trying to convey a message of some kind, or communicate with an audience on some specific level, then I'd say the financial reward has to take a backseat to the effect the project is having on your audiences and also to the rewards that accomplishing such a feat would bring. Sometimes the art itself is it's own reward.

~€ᵀᴴᴲᴿ~

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:56 am
Profile WWW

When I have something I need powered during street playing, and barring any battery options, I just find whatever local merchant is cool with me using their outlets. Granted, this vastly limits the options, but finding battery-powered amps to play through (which sound remotely decent) is difficult. Last time I had the most luck running all my sound through my Stylophone's speaker. I had my Monotribe running through my Monotron, accompanied by Stylophone. I was right next to a recording studio/practice space, so all the band geeks coming out for a smoke loved what I was doing. The general public, though, is still not ready for analog synth/drum and stylophone.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]