View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Hushpuppy of Arabia 

Post Hushpuppy of Arabia
Greetings to all,

I stumbled across this forum a few days back and have read a few threads in various sections. It seems like an interesting mix of people and a couple threads have sparked some good memories and (some of the deeper threads) have even prompted some reflection on my part.

If I may, I'll most likely find myself reading more of your threads and hopefully have something to contribute on whatever points I think I can address. Although I am no longer a resident of the Minneapolis area, and am not what most anyone would label 'goth' (at least in appearance) the 'dark' scene is where I tend to find myself always returning to whenever the opportunity exists. For a few years now I've been somewhat of an involuntary (but not unhappy) nomad, and I suppose as a result when I think of 'who I am' I tend to return in my mind to the Twin Cities. I think the reason I am enjoying this site is that it allows me to live a bit vicariously through you all.

I hope that doesn't sound too disturbing =)

Currently I am in the Al Anbar province of our new 51st state, just a few minutes from the town currently getting headlines. Although its not the nicest place to be right now, I'm lucky enough to have internet access that provides a connection back to the (semi) civilized world. Can't tell you how much I look forward to seeing the familiar streets and some friendly faces when I get back.

Best regards,

Hush

Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:10 pm

Welcome! I'm also a former resident of Minneapolis, and, like yourself, residing in an area of the world owned by Halliburton (Texas, in my case). (doffs commie hat in welcoming gesture)

Nobody here is a goth, either.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:51 am
Profile WWW

I think I speak for all of us when I say that your perspective on what's going on over there would be a really welcome and valuable addition to this forum. And that we all hope for a safe tour of duty and your safe return home.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:45 am

Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to contribute what I can.

Halliburton (or actually KBR) is definitely ubiquitous out here. They may be getting a lot of flak in the media for the amount of money they are making, but if you saw the amount of work they do its really impressive. Of course, there is always a certain amount of resentment between people who are military and civilian contractors due to the difference in pay, but at the end of the day we get along.

Hush

Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:44 pm

Post Re: Hushpuppy of Arabia
hushpuppy wrote:
I am enjoying this site is that it allows me to live a bit vicariously through you all.

I hope that doesn't sound too disturbing =)

They're used to it.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Welcome!
I know what it is like over there...
stay safe.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:51 am
Profile YIM WWW

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:07 pm

3D Goth wrote:
Welcome!
I know what it is like over there...
stay safe.

I'll definitely endeavour to do that! Who were you over here with?

I noticed your in Plymouth. I grew up there, and I knew some Hawkinses (sp?). Any chance you're from the clan that lived by the old senior high?

Take care,

Hush

EDIT: Just fixed a typo.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:25 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
Who were you over here with?

I noticed your in Plymouth. I grew up there, and I knew some Hawkinses (sp?). Any chance you're from the clan that lived by the old senior high?

I was there with 1st AD during Desert Storm.

I grew up a couple hours south of Plymouth, so nope - I am not from the dudes by the high school.

Jon

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Good to go. At least up here in the Anbar its a little less humid than the Kuwaiti desert. On the other hand, we do have that pesky rocket/mortar fire to deal with. But after a few months you get a rather fatalistic view of it, and then its easy.

Thanks for your service out here. Maybe if the brass hadn't stopped you all last time, we wouldn't need to be out here now.

Semper Fi.

Hush

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:17 pm

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:37 am

Pain is weakness leaving the body...does that mean masochists are the strongest people? Or does it mean that D.I.'s really are sadistic bastards?

Welcome to Gothling, and Semper Fi!

Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:32 pm

Well, from my experiences at the depot, and knowing several Marines since who have gone to the drill field for DI duty, I'm going to have to say its more likely the latter!

But we all know, sometimes a little pain is a good thing =)

Semper Fi!

Hush

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:14 pm

Post Hi!
Hello! I, too, will be interested in anything you have to share concerning your current location.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:54 am

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I'm happy to field your questions to the best of my ability. What sorts of things would you like to know? I know a lot of people back home have really skewed views of whats going on over here. CNN makes it seem like the whole country hates us, when really its a small group. The problem is that it doesn't take many people to make a bomb and hide it somewhere. Then it gets on the news...

Just in the half year I've been out here, its gotten a lot better. On average I'd say that people seem to understand that we are here to help them, and as time goes on they get more forthcoming with information. Its making it harder for insurgents to hide and setup attacks on us, although we are by no means close to being done.

Like I said, feel free to ask questions and I'll answer as I can.

S/F

Hush

Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:18 pm

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:58 pm
Profile YIM

Post yeah, I'm sure I can't have a full picture of what's going o
questions:

what are we (and by that I guess I mean Americans) doing to help the people who belong to the land you're working on? on an even more macro level, it isn't just the folks in that country who are angry at America; most of Europe and swathes of the rest of the world sound pretty down on the subject, too, from what we hear. (not, mind you, that I watch CNN. But I understand a lot of people do.)

what are we doing to help you, and what can we do? 'round these parts seeing that you soldiers are supported and brought home again (whenever that is possible) is the basic unifying tenet between the two parties. Exactly *how to do that, other than putting some magnetic cling decorations on one's SUV isn't obvious.

what's the strangest thing you've seen, that you feel like writing about? what is now normal that didn't used to be? aren't you tired of wearing brown?

what's the best part of your job, today? what's the best part of your day that's not about your job?

Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:15 am
Profile WWW

ooo, i'm late to the party....hope you're still around!

i think i'm the only persian person in this scene (or most of the scenes, really)...so it's good to see you here!

what's your family name? are they here? i'm a kouzikanani....there's alot of intermingling between the persian and arab communities in the twin cities, so it's possible i've met someone from your clan...i only know one other persian, a bahktari, he's a metalhead.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:28 am

Joei - While I may be *in* Persia right now, I'm not of Persian stock. I'm just your typical midwestern mutt. Mostly German, with some Scandinavian and Cherokee thrown in for some flavor.

My connection to Persia is that I'm a US Marine deployed to the Al-Anbar province of Iraq in support of OIF.

Alisgray - Sorry I didn't see your post sooner! I didn't mean to ignore your questions, just didn't catch the post.

What are we doing to help the people here? Well thats a question that could have many many answers. There are many many organizations out here, both military/governmental, and civilian/charity. As the Marine Corps, we are primarily focused on providing a safe, secure home for the inhabitants of the Anbar. One can't have faith in their government if they are living in fear of their neighbors. We are also training new Iraqi Army units and local police forces. As time goes on, the Iraqis are taking control of more and more territory.

There are Civil Affairs Groups out here that are primarily focused on rebuilding infrastructure, compensating Iraqis for property destroyed, damaged, or appropriated by US Forces. They have re-established thousands of schools and hundreds of other civic services.

I think the real crux is going to be the average Iraqi realizing that their elected government has real power. They are making the decisions that affect their future, and we need to make sure that the 'man on the street' realizes that. Until he does, he will have reason to resent our presence. Even if we are helping him, its still humiliating to have another nation's military policing your streets.

To be honest, how Europe views our situation out here is really not my concern. Europe has their own problems right now. Britain is dealing with their own home-grown terrorists (which, if you read British news outlets are claiming the bombings are due to British policies on their isles as much as any objection to Britains presence in Iraq.) French citizens are starting to worry about becoming a muslim-controlled nation, and several Scandinavian nations are already grappling with civil unrest in small areas due to overly lax immigration laws.

How can the American people help us? Just by doing what you already are, with words, displays of solidarity, and the occaisional snack foods are nice too =P

Really, as I already mentioned, the support has been tremendous. For every shrill cry about this being a quagmire and pointless cause, we hear a dozen people saying how much they appreciate the sacrifices and everything we do out here. Be confident in the knowledge that we are doing our jobs and we will accomplish our misssions out here.

Strangest thing I've seen out here? Hmmm. Thats a hard one to answer. I guess you'd have to get me started rambling on about stuff out here. I suppose its a matter of perspective. I saw a woman wearing a black t-shirt and jeans today. Spotted her from probably 500 yards away. It was very strange to me, but then again its something you wouldn't even notice.

When I get back, ask me to tell you about the dumbass Air Force Captain who decided he wanted to land a C-17 cargo plane on Alpha taxiway. Picture a bus trying to drive on the sidewalk.

Whats normal that wasn't before? I could go on and on... Yes, I'm tired of wearing the same two uniforms every other day =P

Best part of my job is that I get to actually see the results (big picture) of all our work (little picture). The best part of my day thats not part of my job has to be sitting around with fellow Marines swapping stories and shooting the breeze about family and friends back home. Coming out somewhere like this really changes your perspective on things, and I think it has the potential to make you a better person if you want it to.

Enough rambling, time to get back to work. Take care and I'll be back.

S/F

Matt

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:53 pm

I've been reading these posts for a while and just wanted to say hello (finally!).

I'm happy for you that you have such frequent internet connections while you're over there. It must be quite theraputic.

I've spent several weeks in Turkey and I know what you mean about seeing girls dressed in Western clothing. Turkey is a little more relaxed (Expecially Izmir), but still, there was a strange contrast sometimes between the generations that you wouldn't even remark upon here.

I always felt out of place with my long blonde (at the time) hair and green eyes, and pale legs sticking out of skirts and shorts..... I almost felt a little disrespectful, but, in a metropolis like Istanbul, you get all kinds.

Thank you for all that you are doing. Be well!

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:00 am

Welcome to gothling. Thanks for your service, definatly something I dont have the guts to do man. Stay safe. Im not a hundred percent sure, but I think my brother in law(i think he still is anyway) finished readieness training and is in that area...

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:43 pm

what happened to hushpuppy? his location says back in NC...

Tue May 29, 2007 1:52 pm
Profile YIM

About a year ago he was off shore of Beruit, He sez he hopes to go to the zombie pub crawl again.

Tue May 29, 2007 10:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]