View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Greetings, I'm Jackie T 
Post Greetings, I'm Jackie T
Greetings to all. I'm new to the TC. These intros are always a bit odd for me. Who am I in relation to you? I tend to be a bit solitary, but I enjoy good conversation. I'm just out of school. Kind of in a transitory period. I've enjoyed Minneapolis (save the humidity.) Anyways, I look forward to getting to know folks here. I've always found just jumping in and discussing specific subjects to be more conducive to getting a mutual "vibe" going. My interests range the gamut in terms of "dark" music, literature, art, and general attunement to life and mortality.

I try not to take myself or inet convo too seriously. Let's keep it fun. :P

Jackie T

Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:28 pm

Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Post Re: Greetings, I'm Jackie T
Jackie T wrote:
My interests range the gamut in terms of "dark" music, literature, art, and general attunement to life and mortality.

Do you produce your own music, writing or art?

And welcome.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:41 pm

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:54 pm
veinsplasher wrote:
Jackie T wrote:
My interests range the gamut in terms of "dark" music, literature, art, and general attunement to life and mortality.

Do you produce your own music, writing or art?

And welcome.

I've never produced music. I'm hoping to get my hands on some of the gear over at MCTC though. I was in russian and eastern european studies for 4 years then law school for 2 (scary eh?) My most recent site was actually on Ukraine. I'll have a new gig revving up online in the next few months. It will encompass my interests more as a synthesis. I'm kind of at the fork in the road one hits from time to time. MPLS has been great in that regard. To me, it's a very relaxing city. Stay Tuned.

Jackie T

PS Thanks for the warm welcomes :)

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:02 pm

I studied Russian in high school, and thought that i would major in it in college. College-level language classes were a lot more demanding than I expected and I ended up majoring in anthropology.

2nd year of law school is supposed to be the "work you to death" year, isn't it?

welcome.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:27 am
Profile WWW
I studied Russian in high school, and thought that i would major in it in college. College-level language classes were a lot more demanding than I expected and I ended up majoring in anthropology.

2nd year of law school is supposed to be the "work you to death" year, isn't it?

welcome.

2nd year is indeed the "work you to death" year. It really didn't phase me though. It was more a matter of the projects I shelved to do the 12 hour days. I never count anything in or out, but I'm definitely happy to be out for now.

Are u interested in russian lit at all? The translations are improving albeit you still can't hit the true meanings of some words. Master and The Margarita by Bulgakov would be of interest to some here (Can you beat the Princdess of Darkness having a talking cat??) :lol:

Jackie T

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:06 am

Master and The Margarita by Bulgakov

I love this novel. :)

Welcome.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:42 pm

i loved that one too, and have been slowly acquiring both Pushkin's and Gogol's short stories. does Nabokov count as Russian lit?

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:06 pm
Profile WWW

I love Vodka. And I know some dirty words in Czech.

Even though I've already "welcomed" you, welcome again. I'm glad you're here.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:45 pm
i loved that one too, and have been slowly acquiring both Pushkin's and Gogol's short stories. does Nabokov count as Russian lit?

I'd consider him a russian-american author. He had such a love of for playing with the english language "Lolita" etc, that I think you'd have to consider him both. Gogol was actually an ethnic ukrainian. His real name is pronounced Hohol. He did write primarily in russian (and naturally they claim him).

Jackie T

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:48 pm
I love Vodka. And I know some dirty words in Czech.

Even though I've already "welcomed" you, welcome again. I'm glad you're here.

Na Zdrovya! (To your health)

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:48 pm
Jackie T wrote:
Master and The Margarita by Bulgakov

I love this novel. :)

Welcome.

Bulgakov was amazing. He was actually referring to Soviet figures such as the norious Education Minister Lunacharsky in Master. He still got it published!

Jackie T

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:50 pm

Обезьяна получает отшлепанной на четверге ;P

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:09 am

Bulgakov was amazing. He was actually referring to Soviet figures such as the norious Education Minister Lunacharsky in Master. He still got it published!

Jackie T

Yeah, the book was first published in 1966. 26 years after his death, but better late than never. He's still amazing and he's still right "people never change".:)

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:21 am
Jackie T wrote:

Jackie T

Yeah, the book was first published in 1966. 26 years after his death, but better late than never. He's still amazing and he's still right "people never change".:)

True.

Jackie T

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:57 pm
Jackie T wrote:

Обезьяна получает отшлепанной на четверге ;P

haha something is obtained by/for/on thursday. Ya ukrainetz. ne rozumyu. I don't have cyrillic keypads unfortunately. You fluent?

Jackie T

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:59 pm

No, I just typed in "The monkey gets spanked on Thursday" into Babblefish and that's what I got.

I'm a big phony.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:05 pm
No, I just typed in "The monkey gets spanked on Thursday" into Babblefish and that's what I got.

I'm a big phony.

haha damn. I can usually decipher a bit of russian. I recognized 3 words in there. Hopefully, someday the phrase for "spanking monkey" in russian will be "PUTIN". I've heard babblefish sux for actual translations.

Jackie T

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:41 pm

Thanks for contributing your insight to this board.
Welcome

Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:31 pm
Thanks for contributing your insight to this board.
Welcome

Thanks. Looks like we have a good range of interests here. Should be fun.

Jackie T

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:31 am

Greetings....

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]