View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ] 
 "...feeling Minnesota." 

Post "...feeling Minnesota."
Good day to you all,

I'm J.K. and I'm from and still currently reside in Nashville, TN. For the past year or so, thoughts of the Twin Cities began popping in my head and I have no idea why. I've never been to Minnesota, I've known no one from Minnesota, and yet I'm now thinking it might be the next step, possibly next year.

I looked into the goth/industrial scene and thankfully found you all here - you would know best about "the scene" and the city!

Anyway - I found this site and I'll continue the research, and here, the conversation!

Cheers,
J.K.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:34 pm
Profile WWW

What's so bad about Nashville or so good about Mpls that makes you want to move?

Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:47 pm
Profile WWW

You'll never find another scene as warm and inviting as this one. Welcome. We all can't wait to bring you into the fold.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:46 pm

^ Man, those are some unfortunate initials. I mean, it's a common abbreviation for "Just Kidding".
So when you sign things like
"<i>Have a nice day --J.K.</i>" or
"<i>I hope you don't get hit by a burning bus, fall flaming into an open manhole, and ignite the sewer gas --J.K.</i>",
people are gonna think you're a real asshole, J.K.
:wink:

Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:20 pm

What's so bad about Nashville or so good about Mpls that makes you want to move?

Nashville born and raised. I had a brief stint in Boston years ago, then settled back in Nashville. It's such a small metropolitan city, for example, at a rather large show I ran into folks from my high school years, college years, folks I was in bands with and regulars from my last job (all in five minutes). That's not uncommon. It's kinda fun at first, but the novelty wears off and it's like a high school reunion every month. Meh.

As far as what's good about "Mpls"...you tell me! I'm running on intuition here!

rskm1 wrote:
Man, those are some unfortunate initials.
people are gonna think you're a real asshole, J.K.
:wink:

I could use J.K. or add the last name, J.K.Robbins, and sound like I might just write adventures about a young boy wizard who's keen on his red-headed friend and rides magic wood, chasing after flying balls. :wink:

Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:37 am
Profile WWW

Welcome to the board.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:18 am

I could use J.K. or add the last name, J.K.Robbins, and sound like I might just write adventures about a young boy wizard who's keen on his red-headed friend and rides magic wood, chasing after flying balls. :wink:

see, i go more with jk simmons. then if devil would only change his name to beacher...

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:54 am
Profile YIM WWW

Welcome aboard! We're not all assholes. ;)

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:46 pm

well, not all the time, anyway. What's going on in the goth world of Nashville?

You'd find some more about what's going on in the Twin Cities in the goth/industrial purview <a href="http://goth.meetup.com/810/about/">here</a>.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:54 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome to Dark Twin Cities! I've never seen the movie "Nashville" but I've heard it's quite good. I did visit there one summer when I was a child and was very impressed with your lack of mosquitoes and abundance of pretty waitresses.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:15 pm

well, not all the time, anyway. What's going on in the goth world of Nashville?

Nothing spectacular.

Show wise, the annual Voltaire show a couple months ago. London After Midnight is later this month, along with the MSI/BirthdayMassacre tour.
Club wise, the one club night that has survived a four-year run (Salvation) continues on, though it seems that there's been a slow and gradual change in the crowd over the past two years (the venue has changed multiple times since then too, so it's only begun to sink in that the crowd is getting much younger and only wants MSI and Psyclon Nine - here's a nasty example...a Cure song was played and one of the new faces turned to her friend and exclaimed, "What is this $hit").

It's not always that bad, but there have been better times. I'll call it Nashville's "transition period".

+jamison+ wrote:
Welcome to Dark Twin Cities! I've never seen the movie "Nashville" but I've heard it's quite good. I did visit there one summer when I was a child and was very impressed with your lack of mosquitoes and abundance of pretty waitresses.

To be honest, I haven't seen it either!!! A lack of mosquitoes? That's a bit surprising. I guess the brown recluses that began to surround you while you weren't looking were keeping them off you ;D
And yes...we have pretty waitresses. Wait...you mean...you don't? Maybe I should stay put :lol:

Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:55 am
Profile WWW

I think we had <a href="http://darktwincities.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5362">a whole thread about that.</a>

I don't think I've ever been to Nashville, though I have seen a great many US cities. There's definitely a certain rhythm and pace of the social flow of the upper midwest that I missed very much elsewhere. I feel more at home here than I have anywhere, although I have lived here only since 2001.

It's also one of the cleanest US cities I've seen. Montreal and Amsterdam were bigger and cleaner but that's about it.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:21 am
Profile WWW

There's definitely a certain rhythm and pace of the social flow of the upper midwest...

It's also one of the cleanest US cities I've seen. Montreal and Amsterdam were bigger and cleaner but that's about it.

There's a certain rhythm to Nashville as well. All of the music business folk from LA and NYC have relocated because life is a bit more calm, a bit slowed down, but then we get to deal with the attitudes that come from LA and NYC ;D I very much dislike the industry types.

As far as cleanliness goes, Boston was possibly the cleanest US metropolitan city I have been to. Philly...Cleveland...rotting holes.

I'm going to take a look at that "what makes Mpls great" thread, but how about this question (might be answered in the thread, but I post it here anyhow...) Minneapolis or St. Paul? Battle!

Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:09 pm
Profile WWW

I haven't seen Boston in many years. Maybe it's cleaner than it was then. Philthadelphia, though, ...yeah.

Minneapolis and St. Paul are kind of fraternal twins. St. Paul is smaller, quieter, and in several ways both less expensive (rents) and more luxurious (hotels.) But it's also less wild, less likely to be open after 8 pm, and less likely to have a grocery store you can walk to.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:35 pm
Profile WWW

I was there in 2001 and it was quite clean in comparison to the other bigguns (NYC, Philly, Chicago, Atlanta, LA).

Yeh - via Craigslist, St. Paul is looking cheaper, but I do seek trips to the grocery after midnight often and since I'd most likely be a cook in a kitchen, post-midnight closings are common, so night owl businesses are fitting!

A funny thing - I love hockey (so much so I made the following graphic into a t-shirt for all dark music-lovin' hockey fans in town... ) and the former owner of the Preds dissected the team and bought the Wild and now I'm following suit! ;D

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:36 pm
Profile WWW

If you're looking to engage in the nightlife, Minneapolis is the way to go. There are many more fun nights and cool bars.

That's not to say that St. Paul doesn't have its own little hotspots, the problem is that people rarely cross over from one city to the other. Actually, St. Paulites are more likely to come here, but Minneapolitans don't care to venture over there. St. Paul is a bit scummy, and it's considerably older. Plus, the streets don't make any sense. In Minneapolis streets tend to follow in an alphabetical or numerical order making it much easier to navigate. St. Paul doesn't make a damn bit of sense unless you've been driving around there for some time.

If you like quiet, appreciate outdated homes that are falling apart and like to do a lot of driving to the other side of town for a good time, pick St. Paul (just stay away from the East Side). If you want good times and great people, it's allllll about Minneapolis.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:37 pm

If you like quiet, appreciate outdated homes that are falling apart and like to do a lot of driving to the other side of town for a good time, pick St. Paul (just stay away from the East Side). If you want good times and great people, it's allllll about Minneapolis.[/quote]

but but i love it here more than nordeast. ehe, hell theres a sonic opening here on monday!

Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:21 pm
Profile WWW

hell theres a sonic opening here on monday!

WHAT?!?!?!

Sonic, as in the drive-in eatery place with the FUCKING FANTASTIC FOOD?!?!?!

Oh hell yes, gimme the address and directions. I'm sooo there.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:02 pm

Is Sonic relatively new to Minnesota or are you yankin' my chain? I guess that's like if Tim Horton's somehow popped up below the Mason/Dixon line.

I do appreciate old architecture and currently live in an area that sounds similar when in comparison to Nashville (East Nashville, across the river from downtown, was considered the ghetto to most about twenty years ago, but has undergone many changes and in the past five years, has seen an influx of credit card hippies buying beautiful, historic homes. Sadly, those are insanely expensive now and now the "historic"-influenced condos are being built...wee).

I've seen a few interesting old places in Crocus Hill (but man, it seemed like one of those "needs TLC" places). Any suggestions Minneapolis way, neighborhood wise?

By the way, I really appreciate the tips. Thanks to all of you who've replied (and those that might reply in the future).

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:05 am
Profile WWW

Plus, the streets don't make any sense. In Minneapolis streets tend to follow in an alphabetical or numerical order making it much easier to navigate. St. Paul doesn't make a damn bit of sense unless you've been driving around there for some time.

Oh please. A little knowledge of urban history would do you good. ;)
Downtown St. Paul was laid out before the national urban grid system had been implemented, so the main streets of the oldest parts run parallel to the river. Basically from The River Center to Lowertown. Spreading out from those boundaries, the city planners stuck to the urban grid that uses north/south and east/west orientations; doing their best to join it up to the old grid. If you consider that horse-drawn vehicles were the main transportation in the late 1800's, it's understandable that some streets were too narrow for automobiles. Widening of the roads and consolidation of certain city streets (not to mention the city-beautification project that became Kellogg Parkway) led to the unfortunate intersections modern travelers must navigate.
But if you keep a good watch on where you are in relation to the river, it's not that hard to get around St. Paul. Plus have GoogleMaps.
/nerdliness

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:30 am
Profile WWW

I've seen a few interesting old places in Crocus Hill (but man, it seemed like one of those "needs TLC" places). Any suggestions Minneapolis way, neighborhood wise?

By the way, I really appreciate the tips. Thanks to all of you who've replied (and those that might reply in the future).

Northeast Minneapolis is the current hotspot, with tons of neighborhood bars, restaurants of every sort and quite a few shops. Uptown is still pretty nice too, and you can walk to anything you need.

And yeah Manna, I was aware of the history. I just don't like navigating through it as much as "the grid."

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:06 am

oh, scummy yourself, devil, you suburbanite. As for falling apart old houses, that was very true of South Minneapolis and Uptown in my experience. all the cool kids will be moving to Como Park next. You'll see.

there are some nice parts of the eastern half of St. Paul. it's kind of hell without a vehicle, however, to get to Minneapolis. at least half an hour by bus. so-called West St. Paul is an hour away. For a single fellow, <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevens_Square,_Minneapolis">the Stevens neighborhood</a> is not a bad place to look for inexpensive rents and central location. As a single chick moving here eight years ago I was discouraged from renting there, but my friend Gabriel lives there now and quite likes it. She hasn't found it particularly dangerous. Eight years ago there was hardly an apartment for rent anywhere, and that's changed a lot.

If it would help, I can put you in touch with a friend who is also a professional restaurant cook.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:32 am
Profile WWW

I paid tuition for that urban studies class, I'll be damned if I don't get to show it off sometimes. ;)

I prefer Minneapolis myself. There is no better city scene than that from the Block E skyway over Hennepin Ave.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:46 am
Profile WWW

Is Sonic relatively new to Minnesota or are you yankin' my chain? I guess that's like if Tim Horton's somehow popped up below the Mason/Dixon line.

Not yankin'! Closest one has been, for some time, located in Fort Dodge, Iowa. My husband and I always threatened road trip, but when the times and the movies were good, we had not the reliable vehicle. Boo. So, truly, if St Paul is getting one, I am sooo freakin' happy. I will travel down from my "savage", "rural", "unMetropolitan", and "backwoods" city (where it's a shock there are "suburbs") to eat there. Om nom nom.

Funny how much I took for granted all those trips to Sonic when I would visit my dad in Mississippi.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:26 pm

NoShow wrote:

Funny how much I took for granted all those trips to Sonic when I would visit my dad in Mississippi.

Ah the South...where a coney & tots is cuisine. ;D

I've been looking all over craigslist today at various neighborhoods and what's listed, and on GoogleEarth to spot addresses in relation to clubs and coffee shops. St.Paul looks more for the money, but this only craigslist after all. I'm guessing driving around and jotting down signs on the side of the actual street would do me best.

Another topic - how did you find yourself in the Twin Cities? How many locals and how many transplants?

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:19 pm
Profile WWW

St. Paul = Shelbyville

http://articles.citypages.com/2005-09-2 ... -porter-s/

Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:05 pm

the sonic is on suburban right off of white bear ave next to all the other fast food restaurants past taco bell, right hand side.

my son also said he saw them building one near burnsville on the way to a field trip so i guess they are slowly infiltrating.

to noshow

"Another topic - how did you find yourself in the Twin Cities? How many locals and how many transplants?"

i ended up here as a fluke two years ago after growing up in los angeles. love it here and just bought my first home.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:22 pm
Profile WWW

Another topic - how did you find yourself in the Twin Cities? How many locals and how many transplants?
Used to live in Brooklyn, got sick of New York, let go the apartment, bought a van and drove West. Stopped about halfway across the continent, and here we are.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:28 pm

Welcome, don't believe anything you hear about the cold, it's not true at all.

Playlists

Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:57 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome, don't believe anything you hear about the cold, it's not true at all.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Oh, the lies, they amuse me so.

Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:37 am
Profile WWW

the sonic is on suburban right off of white bear ave next to all the other fast food restaurants past taco bell, right hand side.

my son also said he saw them building one near burnsville on the way to a field trip so i guess they are slowly infiltrating.

Thanks for the info, and I sincerely DO hope they infiltrate! Otherwise, don't run the commercials and get my hopes up. *heh*

Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:25 pm

Earlier at work, I was told if I wanted a vacation, I should seek one before August...so!

I'll be scoping things out come July 24th-July 29th. Let's do this! Leeeeerrrrooooooooo*cough*...

Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:27 pm
Profile WWW

right on! (you know Haakon's not kidding about winter, though, you'll be getting the peak of summer for us.)

Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:13 am
Profile WWW

right on! (you know Haakon's not kidding about winter, though, you'll be getting the peak of summer for us.)

What is..."winter"? Seems like over the past few years in Nashville, we get more days over 70 degrees in December than cold. The snow hits randomly between Jan-April.
Screw that! Winter is supposed to be cold. Snow is supposed to exist in December! Nashville weather is schizo beyond belief.

Somebody better book a killer industrial show to win me over ;D

Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:54 pm
Profile WWW

Somebody better book a killer industrial show to win me over ;D

don't worry, we play about once a month.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW

On that Friday we have a Gong Show Cabaret at one of the "gothyer" clubs

Should be a crazy night

Playlists

Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:51 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, I am so looking forward to that gong show!

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:12 pm
Profile WWW

How many people here are going to the Gong Show Cabaret?

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:51 pm

kids, I actually remember watching that damn thing on television in the early '70s as a small child. I feel this may be taking hipster ironic devotion to that lost era too far.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:41 am
Profile WWW

no promises.

kids, I actually remember watching that damn thing on television in the early '70s as a small child. I feel this may be taking hipster ironic devotion to that lost era too far.

Actually it really didn't have anything to do with the 70's show. It started as just a open cabaret - I wanted a way to make sure we didn't have crappy acts boring the hell out of the crowd for long periods of time. At first I wanted to do it like show time at the Apollo with a big hook, but we decided a gong would be easier.

Playlists

Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:38 am
Profile WWW

Nashville's got Cafe Coco. Atlanta's got The Majestic. Are there any 24 hr post-show/post-club coffee shops or cafes in Mpls you'd suggest?

Also...favorite cafe/bistro/restuarant in general?

Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:57 pm
Profile WWW

MN has a whole ethnic cuisine based around the 24hr diner. Such folk staples as <a href="http://www.embersamerica.com/history.htm">Embers</a> and Perkins, with plastic cheese on every single thing, any sort of meat you can think of breaded and fried, and just a lot of old people used to be largely 24 hour establishments. (I have fond memories of making ouiji boards on the backs of the tissue-like paper placemats and using the butter pats as planchette with my cohort in middle school after we'd snuck out of the house. Ah, the "bottomless" tiny brown mugs of watery coffee.) This is not true in the Cities today for some reason. Most of the Embers that I can think of now close at 11.

We do still have two locations for <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey's_Diner">Mickey's Diner</a> (one of them in an dining railroad car.) Those are both in Saint Paul. One can also find such gutbusters as Flameburger, White Castle, Taco Hell, and the like open at any hour. This may be why Perkins and Embers aren't.

There is one 22 Hour place (for political reasons, essentially,) which would be more of a hotbed of radical weirdos than Mickey's. That's <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Times_Caf%C3%A9">the Hard Times Café</a> on the West Bank, near the U. It's all vegetarian, all employee-owned, all punk rock.

<a href="http://goth.meetup.com/810/pages/Nightlife/">More info about what's open late in the TC</a>.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:41 pm
Profile WWW

Ooooh Mickey's looks awesome (similar to Majestic in Atlanta, but just looks better - Hard Times looks just as awesome). The excitement keeps building! As far as the Goth Gong Show event on Friday goes, when does the begin again and at what club? Milkbar is playing the same evening and it's be nothing less than perfect than to be able to attend both.

Here's a question: public transportation...worth skipping renting a car or no?

Another question (back to food): Any good Indian restaurants? Or places to get spicy food (cos I've always wanted to open up a place dedicated to spicy food and thought up north would be perfect for such a niche product)?

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:28 pm
Profile WWW

yes, the indian food is good- but the best food around here is the southeast asian. some of the best in the country, and it starts at spicy. there are also some darn fine mexican places. I'd be happy to take you restauranting during your visit, and yes, you'll want a car- it's quite spread out, and the public transit is not up to snuff.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:15 pm
Profile YIM

yes, the indian food is good- but the best food around here is the southeast asian. some of the best in the country, and it starts at spicy. there are also some darn fine mexican places. I'd be happy to take you restauranting during your visit, and yes, you'll want a car- it's quite spread out, and the public transit is not up to snuff.

I'd love to restaurant with ya!

Good to know about the transport issue. I'll look into that soon. I was wondering about Mexican eateries as middle TN has a slew of them and some "darn fine" ones as well. I wanna contrast and compare with the best! I love Mexican food. As far as starting with spicy...I'm trying to get a bacon-stuffed, panko fried habanero and egg dish on the brunch menu at my workplace, but I don't think they'll bite (literally and figuratively)! Bring on the fire!!! =D

Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:02 am
Profile WWW

Come Thursday around lunch time, I shall be in the DTC!

And as it will be lunch time, I've heard there is a whole street I can eat - yum! Street!

Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:47 pm
Profile WWW

Will you be joining us for the whole week?

Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:43 pm
Profile WWW

A solid 5-day workweek (Thurs-Tues)!!

UPDATE: So I'm digging the Minneapolis. I walked quite a ways back to my stead from Ground Zero tonight, but I gotta say, GZ is pretty damn cool. I hope they can keep the doors open what with only having Saturdays going on (based on what someone there told me). Didn't get to talk to too many folks though. If you saw a gent in a pointed military cap and black hoodie, wildly dancing to the Ministry remix before last call...yeh...that was me.

I heard Monday nights at The Saloon can be a good time. Any opinions?

Cheers!

Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:54 am
Profile WWW

Mondays are well attended, generally, after 11.

Actually I heard some very good reviews of GZ's gong show cabaret from this Friday.

Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:07 am
Profile WWW

GZ has something every Friday night. Check the Event Horizon forum, we try to keep up with it.

Hard Mondays at the Saloon is great. Door are at 10, but nobody shows up until 11 or so.

Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]