View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Darkblog 

Post Darkblog
DarkTwinCities now has a blog page where you can read about and respond to all the latest buzz in the worlds of local goings-on and great music.

So start reading, get involved and by all means check back on a regular basis.

<a href="http://darktwincities.com/dtcblog/">Bookmark it</a>.

Last edited by devil on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:50 pm

And don't forget, you can point your RSS reader at it:

http://darktwincities.com/dtcblog/?feed=rss2

Or friend it on LJ!

http://syndicated.livejournal.com/dtc_blog/

Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:00 am

I'm subscribed now

Playlists

Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:06 am
Profile WWW

Once I figured out the moving pictures weren't magical, I was able to figure out this computer thing pretty well.

I still can't program my VCR.

Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:20 am

I haven't figured out RSS yet. I also do not own a Cellular-Telephone device.

Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:58 am

Personally I use both but prefer netvibes. Once you have an account, you can add this Firefox add-on, then any page that has an RSS feed can be added to your netvibes page with just one little click at the top of your browser.

Playlists

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:11 am
Profile WWW

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:41 pm

I haven't figured out RSS yet. I also do not own a Cellular-Telephone device.

Save yourself !

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:17 pm

Oh, and the best part - you can reply to all the posts and tell us how full of shit we are. Or just share your knowledge and experience.

Just so you know: The labels are watching. So say something smrt.

Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:38 pm

Is there a hunk of code that "shadows" the posts to LJ? It'd be nice if it could stick something into the top of the post that says WHO posted it, because there's no way to tell who wrote a post without following the link back to DTC. (Which, I suppose, is good publicity, but then why shadow the rest of the content??)

Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:27 am

Is there a hunk of code that "shadows" the posts to LJ? It'd be nice if it could stick something into the top of the post that says WHO posted it, because there's no way to tell who wrote a post without following the link back to DTC. (Which, I suppose, is good publicity, but then why shadow the rest of the content??)

Good question. The RSS feed is built by <a href="http://wordpress.com/">WordPress</a>, the blogging engine that seems to run everything from local garbage pickup to NASA's space monkey program.

It's open source so if there isn't a tweak, I can hack it. I'll see what I can do.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:02 am

It looks like the author information is encoded in the feed correctly. It's a matter of the feed reader not displaying it.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:33 pm

It looks like the author information is encoded in the feed correctly. It's a matter of the feed reader not displaying it.

So the LJ display code is just:
* ignoring that part of the info, and
* using the feed source ("dtc_blog") as the "LJ id" who posted it?

The last part of that makes perfect sense, but it's unfortunate that they didn't bother injecting the real author's name into the blog body itself somehow. A simple "(posted by $author$)" at the top would be sufficient. Or change the post title to "$author$: $title$" or something.

It was just weird reading about devil* being sick of 80's nostalgia and having a DJ gig, scratching my head a bit, and then having to click the link to realize "Ohhhhhhh, Haakon posted that blog".

Got any control over whatever's producing the XML to send TO the RSS feed? I figure you're far more likely to respond to feature requests than LJ support is... 8-P

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:55 pm

Oh yeah, and it may be "noteworthy" (even if it's not an actual bug) that LiveJournal does NOT "feed" any of the followup comments made on that site BACK into the original blog...

(Which makes sense, but isn't immediately obvious when someone first sees all the "magical automatic shadowing" that's happening with the original blog posts)

Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:10 pm

Yes, I can modify the RSS content. The generator is just a PHP application.

Anyone can add a feed to the LJ syndicate reader (http://www.livejournal.com/syn/). You give the feed a name which works like an LJ user so you can add it to your friends list. The content of the feed is ultimately determined by the RSS it polls, but seems to only publish specific XML tags.

LJ says their RSS reader supports versions 0.9, 0.91, and 1.0. I'm feeding them RSS 2.0. Perhaps it is simply LJ needing an upgrade to their syndication engine.

I can feed them an older RSS feed. Wordpress supports 0.92 (close enough), but that version does not support an author declaration. I assume this is why LJ is ignoring the 2.0 author tags.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:16 pm

Hmm, on closer inspection, http://darktwincities.com/dtcblog/?feed=rss2 doesn't give any visual indication of the "author" either.

So now you've got TWO reasons to replicate the author info inside the body or title somehow =)

Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Hmm, on closer inspection, http://darktwincities.com/dtcblog/?feed=rss2 doesn't give any visual indication of the "author" either.

So now you've got TWO reasons to replicate the author info inside the body or title somehow =)

Not true. The XML has a very clear tag:

Code:
[dc:creator]Christopher[/dc:creator]

I can't get the forum to play nice, but those tags should be '<' and '>' You have to view source on the feed and find an <item> declaration.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:55 pm

Grr, I was hoping to find something in the http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/ DTD that would explain why the <dc:creator> tag doesn't get rendered, but DTDs make my brain hurt.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:01 pm

Grr, I was hoping to find something in the http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/ DTD that would explain why the <dc> tag doesn't get rendered, but DTDs make my brain hurt.

That's because DTDs are supposed to be read by machines.

The RSS 2.0 spec (http://www.rssboard.org/rss-2-0) allows for <item> to contain <author>, but states <author> is an email address. Nobody in their right mind is going to publish an email address (think spammers), so it's pretty useless. I tested it just for kicks and most readers ignore it anyway.

Purl.org dc specs (http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/) define creator as "An entity primarily responsible for making the resource." (http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-te ... ms-creator). The RDF definition is here: http://dublincore.org/2008/01/14/dcterms.rdf#creator

WordPress appears to be extending RSS with valid mark-up to incorporate Dublin Core meta data. This is valid markup that extends RSS beyond the short sighted <author> tag. However, it seems a lot of readers don't follow the DTD links and update displayed properties on the fly.

In short: Readers won't do it, so how do we make it show in feeds without having it show up looking stupid on the page? Use HTML style tags to hide it? JavaScript that is not executed if the referrer is not local?

Suggestions?

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:20 pm

When I first heard about this blog I wondered how it would be different than the forum we already have which is made up of a large cross section of the Twin Cities darksider community. I wondered if it would eventually replace DTC as being our voice, and if so, who would be speaking for us?

In the beginning there was Gothling, and it was good. With Hypoxia as our fearless leader and General Skywayman keeping us safe it seemed like nothing could go wrong, but eventually the site became sick and required major reconstructive surgery and a change of staff if it was going to survive. Many of us didn't want to see it go but knew it was better to embrace the changes necessary and move on to the next level than to let our history die. Queen Hypoxia relinquished the keys to the kingdom and a new king was crowned.

The New World: After much hard work the new site was finally unveiled to the very impressed and appreciative forum members. The new improved site was now better than ever. With all doubt removed we looked forward to this bold new era promised to be filled with all kinds of new developments. Gothling was renamed Dark Twin Cities and all the old Gothling currency was gathered up and burned. References to the former site were discouraged and comparisons were flat out denied. Some members started to think that the new king was kind of a jerk... but then we were informed that those members were just being pussies.

Phase Three: Forum -vs- Blog
So what's the difference between a blog and a forum? Forums are like social mixers, where everyone is at equal level. They are created for discussion between several people who often represent a community which is the forums main theme. Anyone can start a topic and anyone can respond to one.

Blogs are journals authored by one individual, and sometimes teams, who control the discussion. Commenting is not the primary reason for a blogs existence, the content of the post is. Other people may contribute with comments but only one person rules, the blog owner, and the blog owner can delete any comment he doesn't like or simply screen them before allowing them to be seen.

Question #1: Is the content of the DTC blogs compelling enough to make me want to comment as well as come back again?

I say yes. So far everything I have read has been well written and kept my interest. The reviews are compelling and unbiased, the layout superb, and the search box useful. I also appreciate when the authors include embedded YouTube videos instead of just giving me a link.

Question #2: Does it seem like a good place to develop discussions or conversations?

No. Some say that for inter-relating and developing online conversations, blogs will soon surpass structured discussion forums as the informal communication channel of choice for most people, but I disagree. As I stated before, comments are not the primary reason for a blog, the post itself is. Any kind of actual conversation afterwords ends up feeling disconnected and certainly not a true representation of what others think when you consider that any conflict of facts or difference of opinion can be simply deleted or screened.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:31 am

Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:37 am

LOL Ok, I just hope the new chalkboard doesn't end up replacing the old one ;)

Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:25 pm

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:24 pm

Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]