View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Home Sick for Minneapolis 

Post Home Sick for Minneapolis
Greetings all! I used to live in Mpls, and have since moved to just north of Philly. Brian Terhark told me about this site and look through it every once in a while. Finally decided to join the Forums...

I moved away due to work, but my heart still resides in Mpls. Nothing can compair to the twin Cities. I have lived all over, but did the majority of my growing up in the Mpls area. Most MN based people think that the grass must be greener on the other side and many times I heard comments like "I can't wait to get to a real city" from people who grew up in the area.

I'm not sure what it is, the people, culture, winters, cleanliness of the city, or what, but nothing compairs to Mpls!

I live an hour north of Philly and 1.5 hours west of NYC. I'm sure NYC is very diffrent, but the lack of "industrial" culture in philly is shocking. For a town that has Metropolis Records in it there is just a small group of people. Nothing like what Minneapolis has to offer.

I travel back to Mpls at least once a year for work and love to go "home" as I still consider it.

Not sure why I am writing all this as now that I look over it, I don't really have a point... lol

I guess I am just feeling a little "home sick" for Minneapolis...

Nothing compairs!

Later, I got to get back to work...

"Poor is the man whose pleasure depends on the permission of another"

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:37 am
Profile WWW

I travel to Cherry Hill a few times a year for work, I can't find anything to do out there. You must be dying.

Playlists

Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:31 pm
Profile WWW

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:59 pm

Hey man, I'm originally from NY and have lived in Arizona as well. I'd never give up the Twin Cities without a fight. I love this place. And I've had many friends who have moved away only to come back after realizing how great it is here in comparison to everywhere else. Sure, there will always be the whiners you can't please no matter the locale but the Twin Towns of Terror are something special. Every town has its disadvantages (and whiners who capitalize on those things). Hopefully you'll be able to make it back here at some point. Thanks for checking in.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:03 am

Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:58 am

i always get homesick. whether i've moved away or am away on vacation or business. it's the worst!

welcome to you.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:12 am

Hey welcome. Years ago I went to college a little north of Philadelphia. As I recall, the night skies were mostly dull orange when it was cloudy, light pollution from Philly and Trenton. I found that pretty weird. Also that big open flat Ah and diminished soft R in the accent. "Aahdmoah" for Ardmore.

Speaking of weird, I never made it to <a href="http://www.collphyphil.org/mutter.asp">the Mütter Museum</a>. Have you? Some day I must see it. Also I hear they turned the <a href="http://www.easternstate.org/">Eastern State Penitentiary</a> into a museum -- I actually did a little archaeological fieldwork there as an undergrad. I'd love to see that now. There's even a museum <a href="http://www.myinsectarium.com/insectarium.htm">all about insects</a>.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:13 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome to the site. I hope we can help with some of the home sickness.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:39 am
Profile WWW

This thread is very confusing. Is it just because I'm the only one that makes a distinction between being home sick, and being homesick? =}

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:29 pm

also, welcome to the board!

we all suck, except for me.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I only live in the north suburbs and I *still* miss Minneapolis. The skyway view north over Hennepin Ave. is still one of my favorite places.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:55 pm
Profile WWW

Hey welcome. Years ago I went to college a little north of Philadelphia. As I recall, the night skies were mostly dull orange when it was cloudy, light pollution from Philly and Trenton. I found that pretty weird. Also that big open flat Ah and diminished soft R in the accent. "Aahdmoah" for Ardmore.

Speaking of weird, I never made it to <a href="http://www.collphyphil.org/mutter.asp">the Mütter Museum</a>. Have you? Some day I must see it. Also I hear they turned the <a href="http://www.easternstate.org/">Eastern State Penitentiary</a> into a museum -- I actually did a little archaeological fieldwork there as an undergrad. I'd love to see that now. There's even a museum <a href="http://www.myinsectarium.com/insectarium.htm">all about insects</a>.

Yea they turned part of the Eastern State Penn into a musium, but also around Halloween they turn part of it into a horror attraction that you can walk through and they do it up like a horror house... I have heard it's pretty cheesy though from some of my co workers.

I went ot the Mütter Museum once and they were closing just as we walked up. I really want to go some time, but their hours are odd. They should be open at night givien the content! :wink:

Later,
Cpt Morgan

Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:29 pm
Profile WWW

heh. imagine who would work at the Mutter at night. sounds like that unfortunate but amusing horror flick, Nightwatch (not the Russian one, which was really good, the cheesy one with Ewan MacGregor.)

I can't help wondering what Philly does for punkrock these days, now that South Street doesn't have Zipperheads anymore.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:35 pm
Profile WWW

Zipperhead is still there, it is just not on South Street anymore. It is around the corner about a block down the road...

Cpt Morgan

Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]