View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Psst. Hey keeds... you want some CAAAANNNnnnnnnndeeeeeee?!? 

Post Psst. Hey keeds... you want some CAAAANNNnnnnnnndeeeeeee?!?
First off, I wanna say howdy to Zom and Vein. Thanks for the nods I've noticed here and there. You probably know that I managed to follow up a decade-long career as a failed musician with a decade-long career as a failed comedian, and it's always the respect of other artists I respect that keeps me from wishing I'd done a damned thing any other way.

Honestly, Zom, I think you could write a book on the history of the Minneapolis punk scene as well as anyone else. But I did write a bit from my narrow perspective yesterday on my Soundclick page.

I'm also curious to know if anyone digs the recent brain-noise I put up there. Please just use the free hi-fi streaming, I'm not trying to skin anyone for 25c unless they REALLY want the songs -- like to chase off unwanted guests. (Tip from an old pro: I used to use Whitehouse's "Bloodfucking" for that purpose.) The proper listening environment for these tracks ideally involves psychoactive drugs and some random visual stimulation, like G.Force. They actually often reflect the psychoactive medications I happen to be on at the time, or in a couple of unfortunate cases bad episodes which led to better meds. (It will surprise no one who knows me that, contrary to darksider stereotype, I'm waaaaay on the manic side of bipolar. But I'm in a pretty good place, right now.)

So. Here's one last little bit of Minneapolis history:

In 1977, Shawn Pike and I had met and were thinking of forming a band. There were a couple obstacles -- like, I didn't know how to play yet, and we didn't know anyone else our age who was into punk yet -- especially a drummer. We went to the Longhorn to catch NNB before they went on the road for a bit, and at the end of their set, Mark Freeman said, "When we get back, I want to see all of you in your own bands."

I don't know how many bands were formed that night, but it was a pretty small scene. And at least two of us found a drummer, pronto, and kept it going for many years after that.

I'd like to see some links to your Soundclick (or MySpace Music, or whatever else is free) sites -- especially if you've never experimented with making your own music before. The main punk ethic is still viable and universal: Don't let sucking get in your way, don't let fear get in your way, don't let the critics get in your way -- just get off your ass and do something interesting and different. I'll be on your side.

Keep The Faith,
--Tim Mitchell

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:13 pm
Profile WWW

You didn't fail to play some great music or to be funny, so there is no failure involved. I think the fact that most of us came out of that scene reasonably intact is fairly amazing.

Please post more and hang out, we need more People of Age on here.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:22 pm

so far this Tim fellow seems nice tho, so when i make fun of zom for being old, it does not apply across the board.

also, welcome!

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW

so far this Tim fellow seems nice tho, so when i make fun of zom for being old, it does not apply across the board.

also, welcome!

You just wait.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:55 pm

Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]