View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 First night out on the town 

Post First night out on the town
And I'm thinking of heading to Ground Zero. I've read some posts saying that the music is kinda like the alt/goth top 40. What does that mean? Yes, I have been to clubs all over the country and know that what's popular in one area isn't always the same in another. What can I expect to hear? Is the more really hard and stompy, more synthpoppy, old, new, a mix of a lot of stuff? I live in the boonies and don't want to make the trek there, all by myself, to be bored and drunk in the corner cause the music sucks. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:20 pm

Post Re: First night out on the town
I doubt anyone will be able to tell you what you're going to hear as it depends on the specific night and what the DJ is "in the mood" to play (yes they take requests but a lot of people request crap). Craig's been better about keeping current but he's also a fan of a lot of Nineties stuff as well.

If you're into Metropolis artists you'll probably hear a lot of that. If you like harder edged, stompier stuff it's going to be spotty.

I've found that the more I drink the more I get into whatever is being played. I only get annoyed when I hear something that's been played so much over the years there should be a rule it can never be played again.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:38 pm

I assume you're going to go to BGG at GZ. There's some rare variance in playlists (so for example: I made my one rare appearance at GZ, and was surprised to have a really good time -- staying on the dancefloor for around an hour).

But typically, you'll hear: some marilyn manson, two NIN songs, "Blue Monday," an industrial classic (either Skinny Puppy's "Tin Omen," Ministry's "NWO," or RevCo's "Beers, Steers, and Queers.), the Prodigy, Benny Bennasi, and porbably a VNV song. Unless it's in the top 40 dance hits, you will probably not hear anything that was released past 2005.

Like I often say, it's not necessarily a night about music or an industrial night (just a night where a few industrial (etc.) tracks happen to be played). It's mainly a night for people to dress up, people watch, and socialize.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:46 pm
Profile WWW

What Liighter said, and occasionally some BiGod20, a Nitzer Ebb song, Ministry, Combichrist, Rammstein, another VNV song, an Assemblage23 song, Beborn Beton, Seabound, etc etc.

If you're there for the music (or booze), get there close to 10pm. The music selection is more adventurous, and... (do they do 241's on Saturday too? Don't quote me on that).

After ~1am it's usually the same songs week after week, which is probably only annoying if you go there a lot.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:45 pm

Does DJ Pancake not DJ at the GZ any more?

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]